U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 30,001 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Manhattan and work at a large financial institution. I will have completed an MBA this Spring and was considering California for a change. My income is 120k+ and can expect the same there. I live in a studio apartment for 2k a month rent, anything in Califorina would be much bigger. I love the nightlife New York has to offer but I do want the warm weather and beach. I am 26, very into fitness, nightlife, and athletics.

Can anyone please give me an area I should move within San Diego.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 04:48 PM

8,824 posts, read 28,071,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3232 View Post
I currently live in Manhattan and work at a large financial institution. I will have completed an MBA this Spring and was considering California for a change. My income is 120k+ and can expect the same there. I live in a studio apartment for 2k a month rent, anything in Califorina would be much bigger. I love the nightlife New York has to offer but I do want the warm weather and beach. I am 26, very into fitness, nightlife, and athletics.

Can anyone please give me an area I should move within San Diego.
Downtown, La Jolla, Little Italy, maybe Del Mar.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:15 PM

17 posts, read 88,910 times
Default Pacific Beach

If you're single and want a beachy atmosphere and nightlife/bar scene, you may want to consider Pacific Beach. It's a great place to live if you're single and under 30. And since you live in The Big Apple, you're probably used to drinking as much as you feel like and not having to worry about driving home. So you may want to pick a place like PB where you're close to/within walking distance of your preferred watering holes. Downtown would be good for that too, but if you're gonna live downtown, you may as well stay in Manhattan.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 PM

6 posts, read 30,001 times
Thanks, much appreciated. How is San Diego compared to LA?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:43 AM

490 posts, read 1,463,056 times
Um it would be like comparing Kansas City to Chicago. . both great towns, but of course you're gonna have more of everything in Chicago. That said, many guys and gals your age love SD, good night life, good music/ theater scene, tons of outdoor activities. .hiking, mountain biking, skiing, kayaking, volleyball . .whatever you want. Probably should visit LA and SD and see for yourself

Old 02-01-2008, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 13,800 times
Listen and listen now. I am from the east coast, do not even THINK about moving here. OK? This place is so boring compared to what the east coast has to offer, ESPECIALLY MANHATTAN. Are you crazy?

And warm? San Diego stays in the 60's year round. If you want to live somewhere that it is warm, move down south, like to Florida. Southern Florida has a fabulous nightlife. San Diego is pretty much DEAD after 6pm

Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 PM

35 posts, read 118,925 times
I do not recommend PB for a NYC professional 25+. It is a drinking haven for beach bums and the under 25 crowd. Think Spring Break most of the time.
La Jolla is upscale and has decent night life and restaurants. The beaches are beautiful.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:29 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,618,479 times
If you're prepared for a completely different lifestlye, then, yes - look into San Diego - but it is vastly different from NYC on all levels. The night life in SD is of no comparison to New York nor are the restaurants. I also would not recommend PB for you for the reasons that happykid outlined. I'd probably consider downtown SD/Little Italy before anything else. San Diego has its own charms but if you're looking for a NYC with warm weather, SD isn't it.

My cousin's fiance wants to relocate here; he is an investment banker making 6 figures in NYC but in his research, doesn't see how he can be in the same line at the same salary here in SD.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 PM

5,171 posts, read 11,772,540 times
^^What she said! Just like I won't go to Manhattan expecting to find a sandy beach to relax on and read a book

Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM

5,302 posts, read 9,105,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloyellowbird View Post
Listen and listen now. I am from the east coast, do not even THINK about moving here. OK? This place is so boring compared to what the east coast has to offer, ESPECIALLY MANHATTAN. Are you crazy?

And warm? San Diego stays in the 60's year round. If you want to live somewhere that it is warm, move down south, like to Florida. Southern Florida has a fabulous nightlife. San Diego is pretty much DEAD after 6pm
San Diego in summer and fall have 70s and 80s. Wintertime highs of 65F beat freezing winters in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego