Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:03 AM

16 posts, read 17,797 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I don't live in California, I'm from Europe, but I always read that housing is eye-watering expensive there, especially on this forum.

Well, the thing is I was browsing for some real estate on Trulia in San Diego - just for fun - and found a lot of reasonably priced (~100K to 150K) and perfectly livable 1 or 2 bed condos.
Is there any catch with those? Something I am missing? Are those scams?

It seems rather low for a city like San Diego.

For a comparison, a similar apartment in London - EU, UK would cost five times more, and they don't even look that nice! People are forking way more there for shoebox-style apartments.

In Rome, where I currently reside - a city that doesn't offer anything in terms of job prospects to its residents and surely doesn't have the good climate of SD - the average price for similar apartments in my neighborhood is about twice as much.

So what's the deal with California being considered expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:15 AM

816 posts, read 968,127 times
Compared to a older / denser metros CA is relatively cheaper. Forget Europe, the Bay area is cheaper than Mumbai.
The point of the lance when it comes to real estate in CA is the Bay area NOT san diego. There the issue are rapidly rising home prices. Its that rate of growth that is alarming everyone. In time, it would have become the norm. London has not experienced double digit growth across the board like the bay are has.

The other part of your puzzle is the entitlement or legacy of the american working class living in big houses. Which is coming to a crashing halt in the bay area.

SO in short, yes, its not nearly as expensive as the bigger metros across the world. But the growth rate is staggering, causing CHANGES for lots of people.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 AM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,278 times
Well . . it's certainly expensive relative to the rest of the US, which is most posters' frame of reference. Remember, in probably 85% of the US (by geography if not population) $150k will still get you a very nice 3 bedroom detached home - or more.

But even so . . I just ran your search on Redfin and for less than $150k I found only 8 places, all less than 1,000sf, all in pretty undesirable neighborhoods . . .bad schools, at least petty crime, downscale shops in the neighborhood . . .not what most people associate with "San Diego"

Old 10-28-2015, 10:53 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Post the addresses of these 100k condos and we'll tell you why they're so cheap. US is going to be cheaper than a major European city simply because US is a bigger country and US cities are bigger with more people and more houses. US is also generally more growth-oriented and builds out to accomodate it's population (see SF Bay area for what happens when that cycle stops). For context,the population of Rome at about 3.5MM people puts it at #1 for Italy but #20 for the US.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:23 AM

16 posts, read 17,797 times
Thank you for all your great explanations.

For example there's a cute, albeit small, condo for only 100K in the zip 92105, and a very nice 2 bedroom one in a gated community in the zip code 92113 for 150K.

But from what I understand San Diego is very safe from violent crime, so housing location is not that much important.

Maybe you can argue that those zipcodes are not very "hip", but when you consider the pros - paradise-like climate, surely a better job market and more well paying jobs than where I currently live in (average net salary of about 1000€ per month for new grads if they're lucky enough to actually find meaningful employment here in Rome, ugh!), only 2h distance from LA, great outdoors opportunities - it doesn't seem too much, especially compared to Europe.

The apartment where I grew up in Rome is currently worth about 400K, about 1000sqf, and it still sucks: very old, kind of decaying, unmodern, practically all to renovate.

I was surprised of what I could buy in SD for a similar price, really modern and gorgeous homes / apartments, there's really no contest!

Old 10-28-2015, 11:42 AM

42 posts, read 57,229 times
Ah, Logan Heights. Enjoy. Not so "safe from violent crime".

Old 10-28-2015, 11:43 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsNStripes View Post
Ah, Logan Heights. Enjoy. Not so "safe from violent crime".
Probably pales in comparison to the crime found in the ghettos of Rome

Old 10-28-2015, 11:46 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Wait. There's crime in San Diego???

Old 10-28-2015, 12:10 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeltaOrionis View Post
For example there's a cute, albeit small, condo for only 100K in the zip 92105, and a very nice 2 bedroom one in a gated community in the zip code 92113 for 150K.

But from what I understand San Diego is very safe from violent crime, so housing location is not that much important.
Arguably two of the worst zips in SD, but the exact location will tell the tale. San Diego is very safe for a US city, but gun crime and violence are much more of a part of the US culture than where you live.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:40 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeltaOrionis View Post
Hello,
I don't live in California, I'm from Europe, but I always read that housing is eye-watering expensive there, especially on this forum.

Well, the thing is I was browsing for some real estate on Trulia in San Diego - just for fun - and found a lot of reasonably priced (~100K to 150K) and perfectly livable 1 or 2 bed condos.
Is there any catch with those? Something I am missing? Are those scams?

It seems rather low for a city like San Diego.

For a comparison, a similar apartment in London - EU, UK would cost five times more, and they don't even look that nice! People are forking way more there for shoebox-style apartments.

In Rome, where I currently reside - a city that doesn't offer anything in terms of job prospects to its residents and surely doesn't have the good climate of SD - the average price for similar apartments in my neighborhood is about twice as much.

So what's the deal with California being considered expensive?
The cheaper condos probably aren't in a good area. I've been looking at condos, and to buy a nice one in San Diego seems to cost upwards of $300K. Doable, but hardly "cheap." The same condo in most of the rest of America, outside of California or NYC or DC, could probably be had for $125K. So there's a big mark-up for the San Diego location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego