Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-02-2015, 09:13 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,798 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I live in a 12 unit complex where my landlord pays the water bill. There seems to be two large water heaters in our shared laundry room that service all 12 units and 2 washing machines. Recently I've had a large Italian family move into the unit next to me and I can't get hot water any time during the day. Only lukewarm. Prior to this, it would only be this temperature during "busy" hours (i.e. When everyone was getting ready for work in the morning). I guess my question is, what are the landlord requirements for "hot" water? Does it matter if I'm not paying for water? It's pretty annoying to not be able to get a hot shower...just a tepid one.

Despite this I like where I live, have been a good tenant, and haven't had the rent raised on me even though I have a month to month lease. Trying not to rock the boat for a good thing, yet would be nice to have some hot water. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2015, 09:20 PM
 
Location: SoCal
6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Reputation: 7103
If you don't want to rock the boat, look at camping showers and see if there's something you could use instead of relying on the shared water heaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 09:38 PM
 
6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Reputation: 3506
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
If you don't want to rock the boat, look at camping showers and see if there's something you could use instead of relying on the shared water heaters.
How do camping hot showers work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 11:20 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Reputation: 4096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspader25 View Post
I live in a 12 unit complex where my landlord pays the water bill. There seems to be two large water heaters in our shared laundry room that service all 12 units and 2 washing machines. Recently I've had a large Italian family move into the unit next to me and I can't get hot water any time during the day. Only lukewarm. Prior to this, it would only be this temperature during "busy" hours (i.e. When everyone was getting ready for work in the morning). I guess my question is, what are the landlord requirements for "hot" water? Does it matter if I'm not paying for water? It's pretty annoying to not be able to get a hot shower...just a tepid one.

Despite this I like where I live, have been a good tenant, and haven't had the rent raised on me even though I have a month to month lease. Trying not to rock the boat for a good thing, yet would be nice to have some hot water. Thanks!
It's not "rocking the boat" to let your landlord know you're not getting hot water. Talk to him. Don't mention the family or anything, just say "since ___ (date) there seems to be an issue with the hot water, any ideas?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2015, 12:44 AM
 
1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Reputation: 2631
All apartment living sucks. Because people in numbers suck. I hate "density" advocates. The greater our number, the fewer our freedoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2015, 04:08 AM
 
6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Reputation: 3506
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Because people in numbers suck. I hate "density" advocates. The greater our number, the fewer our freedoms.
Huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2015, 06:12 AM
 
Location: San Diego
50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Reputation: 34045
Shower first and let the other tenants complain about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2015, 08:27 AM
 
Location: SoCal
6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Reputation: 7103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
How do camping hot showers work?
Most (all?) of them heat water with, typically, propane and then pump it through a shower head.

Alternately, when we have sunshine, our alternate shower is Big Plastic Bag Of Water (made for this purpose), solar-heated, with a shower-head type hose attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top