Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 05:45 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,554 times

Advertisements

I have to say good for those guys. They make a good beer. Don't forget about Belching Beaver. They have some of the best IPAs in the SD area. I just hope that the mass production won't ruin a good thing for Ballast Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 03:52 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ As far as Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA, they will compete on a national level with Sam Adam's Rebel IPA and Lagunitas IPA (a NORCAL beer), these seem to be the IPAs that I find regularly in various parts of the USA and in chain establishments here in SD.
Goose Island is the other IPA I see regularly, they are based out of Chicago.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:30 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Craft beer certainly is highly profitable nowadays. Just about anything from Stone is good. Just wondering if some of this stuff is overpriced. A quart of craft can sometimes cost as much as middle price range wine. It's just beer.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:26 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Craft beer certainly is highly profitable nowadays. Just about anything from Stone is good. Just wondering if some of this stuff is overpriced. A quart of craft can sometimes cost as much as middle price range wine. It's just beer.
They taste good and have higher ABV than say Miller, Coors, Bud or the Mexican beers. So I only need to drink a quart or two to feel really good.

A sixer of craft beers is about $10 dlls, I think its worth it.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:32 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
I have to say good for those guys. They make a good beer. Don't forget about Belching Beaver. They have some of the best IPAs in the SD area. I just hope that the mass production won't ruin a good thing for Ballast Point.
I'm not the biggest fan of Belching Beaver, from what I've had. Both I bought because I really wanted the bottles. I collect cool craft beer bottles. Lost Abbey got that started and still tends to be my favorite but, I had to buy both Hwy 78 IPA and Me So Honey for the bottles. Hwy 78 was a blah IPA. It wasn't gross by any means but, average to me. Me So Honey, while being one of the best named beers over, tasted to me like a Coors with a tablespoon of honey mixed in. You'll have to recommend one of their better ones so I can pick some up to try.

Last edited by elcajones; 11-19-2015 at 04:43 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Stone is usually priced fair. Lagunitas tends to be around that same range. Sculpin is priced high but, I'll willing to pay it when I want some. Stone IPA tends to be my every day beer though. If Sculpin wasn't $15 for a sixer it would be my every day beer by far. My IPA go to's are as follows.

Sculpin>>Stone Ipa>Lagunitas IPA >>>>>> Big eye.

I am not a big fan of Big Eye. It carries that Ballast Point name and is a 7.0 abv IPA like Sculpin. I guess that's why big eye is $5 a 6 pack cheaper.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:35 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Stone is usually priced fair. Lagunitas tends to be around that same range. Sculpin is priced high but, I'll willing to pay it when I want some. Stone IPA tends to be my every day beer though. If Sculpin wasn't $15 for a sixer it would be my every day beer by far. My IPA go to's are as follows.

Sculpin>>Stone Ipa>Lagunitas IPA >>>>>> Big eye.

I am not a big fan of Big Eye. It carries that Ballast Point name and is a 7.0 abv IPA like Sculpin. I guess that's why big eye is $5 a 6 pack cheaper.
If you like Sculpin out of a bottle then you will love Sculpin fresh.

Bring a growler or gallon jug to one of their breweries and get it filled. They have one in Scripps Ranch and Linda Vista. Getting a gallon filled cost me ~$26. You can also buy the glass containers there.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post

Bring a growler or gallon jug to one of their breweries and get it filled. They have one in Scripps Ranch and Linda Vista. Getting a gallon filled cost me ~$26. You can also buy the glass containers there.
I got to the one off Miramar and drink some there every couple months. I would frequent much more if I didn't live 320 miles away . I'm not typically a big growler filler though. I own a few and occasionally fill them but, I just drink too much beer lol. I'd need a couple growlers.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:05 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post

Some of the other brands are less than $20. I got a growler of Fathom last week for $18 - - 7.0 alcohol content as an Indian Pale Lager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego