Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2015, 03:25 PM

13 posts, read 12,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post

Sadly in places like SD and worse in NYC or SF, you'd buy a place in Chula Vista and wind up getting a smaller house with probably worse conditions and less yard for far more money. There are plenty of homes for sale in CV, Del Mar, SB, Encinitas that haven't been updated since 1960 and still get bought up. I would never call that "moving up" if you wind up with a worse house, just different zip code that people consider "nicer areas."
Great post, though I feel that things are actually worse in SD than NYC or SF: professionals in the latter two cities earn an income that is much, much higher than the rest of the country, which is not the case in SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 04:37 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,178,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
...all the appreciation on real estate means very little if your $500K house sells for $2 million in 10 years. Because that means you'd have to buy another house that is also $2+ Million. No gain at all unless it was just an investment property you bought and rented out over the years. Or if you plan to move to a cheaper state...
Yes - as I've been saying all along in this thread - Rental Property is one of the few ways to amass wealth that everyday folks can take advantage of. There are only two rules to follow: DON'T buy in crap areas, and buy AFTER a crash happens (around 3-4 years after will usually do). Simple really. In the meantime, if you're renting, spend as little as you have to on housing costs and hoard away your money.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:46 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Simple really. In the meantime, if you're renting, spend as little as you have to on housing costs and hoard away your money.
You wouldn't live in places like SD though if that were the case. At least not until you locked up some rental properties and plenty of cash and investments elsewhere.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:28 AM

919 posts, read 789,744 times
Maybe....I moved to North County 14 years ago and decided I didn't feel comfortable buying here. we found a good deal on renting a condo here in La Costa and we've lived here ever since. Our cost of renting here is way lower than what it would cost to own here. We were lucky to find this place and our rent has stayed below average over the years.

And yes our savings grew over the years especially in the past few years. So we were able to buy a condo to retire to on Maui. we will have a mortgage but pretty low payment.

Sometimes the best strategy for the San Diego market is to stay out of it

Old 01-01-2016, 11:53 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,569,509 times
I used to wait it out but it seems like foreign cash is buying the properties here in CA. So I've decided to wait and buy outside of the big cities for much less. A home in Chico is 1/2 of what San Diego costs. Yes, no beach but I can always visit and keep a boat in San Diego for summer.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:34 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Yes - as I've been saying all along in this thread - Rental Property is one of the few ways to amass wealth that everyday folks can take advantage of. There are only two rules to follow: DON'T buy in crap areas, and buy AFTER a crash happens (around 3-4 years after will usually do). Simple really. In the meantime, if you're renting, spend as little as you have to on housing costs and hoard away your money.
SO SO SO true. The rule of thumb is to buy in the BEST possible area that will always have high rental demand even in times of recession of economic downturn. The wealthy typically will always have money and be able to pay premium prices and want the best areas.

I own a portfolio of international properties and I always buy in the best areas. The only time I've deviated from that is when I could clearly see an area was going to gentrify. I bought in a few neighborhoods like that and it paid off as those upcoming areas tended to become even more desirable and have higher rental yields than the ritzy areas.

Also, it definitely helps if you can buy right after a collapse but even if you can't and the rental yields and cap rate are high then it can still make sense. I look at capital appreciation as icing on the cake but I never count on that. It's all about cap rates and rental yields for me.

I know a lot of people that do the same thing. They might start with one or two properties and then just keep reinvesting the cash into more properties.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
^^^ Kind of like Monopoly as a child.

The problem with the Best areas is they can fall...

Buying at the other end of the spectrum there is no where to go but up... has worked well for me.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:10 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
Maybe....I moved to North County 14 years ago and decided I didn't feel comfortable buying here. we found a good deal on renting a condo here in La Costa and we've lived here ever since. Our cost of renting here is way lower than what it would cost to own here. We were lucky to find this place and our rent has stayed below average over the years.

And yes our savings grew over the years especially in the past few years. So we were able to buy a condo to retire to on Maui. we will have a mortgage but pretty low payment.

Sometimes the best strategy for the San Diego market is to stay out of it
What if you had bought 14 years ago in La Costa? Prices were far lower.

Congratulations on moving to Maui. It is my second favorite Hawaiian Island and a very nice place, but a bit humid for some of us.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:17 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
SO SO SO true. The rule of thumb is to buy in the BEST possible area that will always have high rental demand even in times of recession of economic downturn. The wealthy typically will always have money and be able to pay premium prices and want the best areas.

I own a portfolio of international properties and I always buy in the best areas. The only time I've deviated from that is when I could clearly see an area was going to gentrify. I bought in a few neighborhoods like that and it paid off as those upcoming areas tended to become even more desirable and have higher rental yields than the ritzy areas.

Also, it definitely helps if you can buy right after a collapse but even if you can't and the rental yields and cap rate are high then it can still make sense. I look at capital appreciation as icing on the cake but I never count on that. It's all about cap rates and rental yields for me.

I know a lot of people that do the same thing. They might start with one or two properties and then just keep reinvesting the cash into more properties.
How did you get started in international properties? I've been looking to expand into that space myself, but outside of central america and Canada, I just don't have the experience or knowledge to know what's good and what's a bad buy. AI've done some research now and again, but I'm not into buying without seeing as some Chinese buyers are in the US. Plus I've learned that certain parts of Mexico and Central America can be really corrupt when it comes to Real estate purchases and titles. But there are some buyers who have bought houses in the US using WhatsAPP , more in OC and LA, but still, it's a bit crazy that an 'SMS' like tool is all you would use to buy a property.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:08 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
What if you had bought 14 years ago in La Costa? Prices were far lower.

Congratulations on moving to Maui. It is my second favorite Hawaiian Island and a very nice place, but a bit humid for some of us.
Buying 14-20 years ago usually means you are sitting pretty fat cat right now My properties have went from an average of 150K to over 600K in that time span.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego