Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:04 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times

Advertisements

You're young and secured a job that's a good fit for your skill set and interests; therefore I would suggest giving San Diego a shot. I moved away to another city when I was 25 (although not cross-country) and the experience helped me to mature and find out what I really wanted to do in life. Of course it's challenging leaving behind close relationships and familiar places, but you have to follow your dreams and calling. Just make sure you have your ducks in a row and find a support system in San Diego (church, affinity groups, professional associations, etc.). All the best to you and have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 04:55 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,554 times
Live like you mean it and not like others want you to. Do it. No regrets I'll bet.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:50 PM

121 posts, read 102,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
From a purely practical standpoint, have you researched the cost of living here? Will your company be paying for your relocation? Expect to spend $1000-$1200 a month for a one bedroom in a safer area if you don't want a roommate situation. I'd also factor in the cost of plane tickets several times a year if you're going to be maintaining a long distance relationship and would like to go home to see family for holidays.

Also, if you were able to land a job long distance, then it's likely you could also find a better job closer to home. So, don't let the job be your sole reason for the move --- what else attracts you to San Diego? Have you been able to visit?

Finally, long distance relationships can work IF both parties are equally committed to the relationship. But, anyone who tells you that a long distance relationship is easy is lying. Phone calls, text messages, and Skype can help, but it's not the same as having someone physically in your life day-to-day. Weigh whether the adventure of moving will be worth the possibility of things not working out with your boyfriend. However, unless you are engaged, I wouldn't let a boyfriend be a deciding factor in my decision.

As for your mom, it is normal for moms to want to keep their kids close. If you do move, reassure your mom that you'll always be her baby, even if you're 3,000 miles away. She'll be OK, and so will you, no matter what you decide to do.

Good luck with your decision!
I wish that were true! I moved back to San Diego in early September. I ended up getting a 2b2b in La Mesa for $1900 and was told that was a steal! The news actually (this was in September though) discussed average rental prices in San Diego. Average was $1500 for a 1b1b, and $2000 for a 2b2b. Granted there are some out there in that $1000-$1200 price range but they probably aren't TRUE 1b1b.

Rent Jungle has that as of October 2015, if you were to live within 10 miles of San Diego that the average rentals are this: $1634 for 1b1b, and $2033 for a 2bedroom (didn't say how many bathrooms). https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...o-rent-trends/

When I did a search just now on Craigslist between $1000-$1200 for 1b1b, most were juniors or efficiency's and/or in bad areas and/or had no parking (literally just paying for a room).

Just wanted to share this because it's fairly accurate. When I searched for apartments a few months ago, I was hoping to get a 2 bedroom for $1500 and saw that wasn't going to happen.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFlowersX View Post
I wish that were true! I moved back to San Diego in early September. I ended up getting a 2b2b in La Mesa for $1900 and was told that was a steal! The news actually (this was in September though) discussed average rental prices in San Diego. Average was $1500 for a 1b1b, and $2000 for a 2b2b. Granted there are some out there in that $1000-$1200 price range but they probably aren't TRUE 1b1b.

Rent Jungle has that as of October 2015, if you were to live within 10 miles of San Diego that the average rentals are this: $1634 for 1b1b, and $2033 for a 2bedroom (didn't say how many bathrooms). https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...o-rent-trends/

When I did a search just now on Craigslist between $1000-$1200 for 1b1b, most were juniors or efficiency's and/or in bad areas and/or had no parking (literally just paying for a room).

Just wanted to share this because it's fairly accurate. When I searched for apartments a few months ago, I was hoping to get a 2 bedroom for $1500 and saw that wasn't going to happen.
Yes, you're absolutely right. I should have said expect to pay $1000 to $1200 MINIMUM for a small one bedroom without a roommate situation.

The price of rentals seems to be going up every day. Thanks for sharing your experience, as I think the poster might find it helpful in making her decision.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Yes, you're absolutely right. I should have said expect to pay $1000 to $1200 MINIMUM for a small one bedroom without a roommate situation.

The price of rentals seems to be going up every day. Thanks for sharing your experience, as I think the poster might find it helpful in making her decision.
Just wanted to share because I went through this in September. I also was contemplating breaking my lease and moving into a 1bedroom but with the penalty and cost of movers, I would basically just break even which isn't worth it to me since I'm on a temp basis till July =(

Anyway to the OP, hell I moved to San Diego when I was 25. It's a great city for people especially young people. I would move here if I were you but I'm someone who unless I were married, would easily put myself and my career first.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:21 AM

29 posts, read 21,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkbruin View Post
Ideally, having past 30 now, I think 20s is fantastic for a relocation or plenty of travel. You have SO many fewer commitments and all the doors are wide open. If you have a support system at home, it'll always be there and you're not taking a big risk. I learned a lot in my 20s from living away from my parents, home, etc, and that distance has pushed me MUCH further than the umbilical cord of everything you know from childhood. It's advantageous to put yourself in tough spots or the unknown because regardless of outcome, you come out with different experiences, and are wiser for it.

Where are you coming from?
Quote:
Just wanted to share because I went through this in September. I also was contemplating breaking my lease and moving into a 1bedroom but with the penalty and cost of movers, I would basically just break even which isn't worth it to me since I'm on a temp basis till July =(

Anyway to the OP, hell I moved to San Diego when I was 25. It's a great city for people especially young people. I would move here if I were you but I'm someone who unless I were married, would easily put myself and my career first.
I have been researching apartments and it is terrifying! I will be making a little under 75k and i have student loans and a car payment...so I am actually not sure if I will be able to afford even living after I pay rent and my bills. I would need to find a guess a small studio and pay $1200 bucks. I would get a roommate, but I want people to be able to come visit and not feel like they are invading someone elses space. This is factoring into my decision a lot.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethoctransibit View Post
I have been researching apartments and it is terrifying! I will be making a little under 75k and i have student loans and a car payment...so I am actually not sure if I will be able to afford even living after I pay rent and my bills. I would need to find a guess a small studio and pay $1200 bucks. I would get a roommate, but I want people to be able to come visit and not feel like they are invading someone elses space. This is factoring into my decision a lot.
Not sure how much your payments are for student loans or car payments, but I have no financial debt and make $60,000 a year. Like I said before, I have a 2b2b for $1900. I went $400 above my price range per month (was hoping to find a part time job to help but haven't yet). I had to have one of my parents cosign because I didn't meet the min. income. I'm saving $$ but not as much as I would like. I basically am on a budget-I don't shop as much as I used to, and don't travel as much either. Assuming I am still in San Diego after my lease is up, I'm hoping to get a 1b1b for $1500 and maybe just getting a small storage unit I space is an issue(I have a lot of stuff I don't want to get rid of). If my mother comes to visit, I would just give her my bed and take my sofa (not a sofa bed, but pretty comfortable to sleep on if I had to).

I know what you mean about having friends and family come over. That was a big reason why I ended up getting the 2nd bedroom (the 2nd bedroom for me doubles as a guest room/storage room LOL). It was more so my high maintenance mother.

You should know though that often times for reasonable rentals in very desirable areas (Pacific Beach, La Jolla, Point Loma, North Park) that they will have like an open house for 3 hours where a ton of people show up. Many will have the application on hand with the payment check. There was a little dumpy house in PB I looked at. Within a 15 minute time period, at least 8 people were there.

I live in a small, nice gated boutique building in La Mesa. We have 2 rentals coming up. a 1b1b goes from $1445-$1535 with a 1 year lease right now. the 2b2b (it's really 1 1/2 bath) is $1865 (I moved in at the end of the summer so rentals were high).

Old 11-27-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Not sure how much your payments are for student loans or car payments, but I have no financial debt and make $60,000 a year. Like I said before, I have a 2b2b for $1900. I went $400 above my price range per month (was hoping to find a part time job to help but haven't yet). I had to have one of my parents cosign because I didn't meet the min. income. I'm saving $$ but not as much as I would like. I basically am on a budget-I don't shop as much as I used to, and don't travel as much either. Assuming I am still in San Diego after my lease is up, I'm hoping to get a 1b1b for $1500 and maybe just getting a small storage unit I space is an issue(I have a lot of stuff I don't want to get rid of). If my mother comes to visit, I would just give her my bed and take my sofa (not a sofa bed, but pretty comfortable to sleep on if I had to).

I know what you mean about having friends and family come over. That was a big reason why I ended up getting the 2nd bedroom (the 2nd bedroom for me doubles as a guest room/storage room LOL). It was more so my high maintenance mother.

You should know though that often times for reasonable rentals in very desirable areas (Pacific Beach, La Jolla, Point Loma, North Park) that they will have like an open house for 3 hours where a ton of people show up. Many will have the application on hand with the payment check. There was a little dumpy house in PB I looked at. Within a 15 minute time period, at least 8 people were there.

I live in a small, nice gated boutique building in La Mesa. We have 2 rentals coming up. a 1b1b goes from $1445-$1535 with a 1 year lease right now. the 2b2b (it's really 1 1/2 bath) is $1865 (I moved in at the end of the summer so rentals were high).
Thanks! Now i'm super torn. My student loan is $350/mo and my car is $350/mo as well. I could sell my car, but I really love it and I am doing fine affording it currently. I am trying to factor in taxes as well because I know they are super high. I am guessing a 75k salary boils down to about 55k after taxes in California. You mentioned that you don't shop or travel as much. I can deal with the not shopping as much, but I would really like to travel and continue to save money. I am wondering if I should just suck it up at my current job in PA (I am only making 55k here, but my rent is $400) and save money to travel. I would really like the SD way of life...but seems like you have to sacrifice a ton of money to get it? Is it really worth it?

Old 11-27-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethoctransibit View Post
Thanks! Now i'm super torn. My student loan is $350/mo and my car is $350/mo as well. I could sell my car, but I really love it and I am doing fine affording it currently. I am trying to factor in taxes as well because I know they are super high. I am guessing a 75k salary boils down to about 55k after taxes in California. You mentioned that you don't shop or travel as much. I can deal with the not shopping as much, but I would really like to travel and continue to save money. I am wondering if I should just suck it up at my current job in PA (I am only making 55k here, but my rent is $400) and save money to travel. I would really like the SD way of life...but seems like you have to sacrifice a ton of money to get it? Is it really worth it?
You would be able to afford a 1b1b I think just fine here. I mean I'm giving up 1 trip this year (my biggest passion is traveling) for comfort. I think San Diego is a great city with a lot to offer and I think 20somethings would love it here (and they do).

Old 11-27-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
You would be able to afford a 1b1b I think just fine here. I mean I'm giving up 1 trip this year (my biggest passion is traveling) for comfort. I think San Diego is a great city with a lot to offer and I think 20somethings would love it here (and they do).
Thanks! Ok I think I will give it a try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego