Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:33 PM

786 posts, read 3,923,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNB View Post
Otay Ranch is South County and will have more hispanic influence. 4 S Ranch is more WASPy but snooty. Which suits you better?

I live in Clairemont...middle class, older neighborhoods, traditional, laid back and real. My neighborhood is full of former or current military and I love it...there are no aires about how much money you make or dont...just good people.
How do you know that 4S ranch is snooty? Nice and new doesn't always equal snooty. It isn't snooty or WASPy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
I have a lot of friends who live at 4S Ranch who are as far away from WASPy as can be (they are "minority races").

As I read more & more posts here, I'm finding that people who live in San Diego County, whether native or transplants, are quick to unfairly judge & stereotype the people that live in certain areas of town. In fact, while living in SD I had a certain image of other women I've met on a parenting message board who lived in North County thanks to all the stereotypes that are bandied around. I've since learned that a lot of the sweeping generalizations are really inaccurate & unfair.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 691,879 times
I would have to say from my own experience....I lived in that area. Poway, RB, CMR...4S...I went to the gym in 4 S...I just see a vast difference in the attitude from that area....more "snooty", superior...I am better than you. Kudos to you if you have had a different experience and are happy. Sometimes we see people from our own perspective. It is neither right or wrong.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
BNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I have a lot of friends who live at 4S Ranch who are as far away from WASPy as can be (they are "minority races").

As I read more & more posts here, I'm finding that people who live in San Diego County, whether native or transplants, are quick to unfairly judge & stereotype the people that live in certain areas of town. In fact, while living in SD I had a certain image of other women I've met on a parenting message board who lived in North County thanks to all the stereotypes that are bandied around. I've since learned that a lot of the sweeping generalizations are really inaccurate & unfair.
unfairly judge....I am "judging" (using your language) based on my experience with folks who live in this area of town...I lived in this "upper middle class" section of SD too. Maybe the few that you know are different than the few I know...and neither of us are on target...I am speaking from my direct experience and observation.

No offense meant.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:52 PM
BNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
How do you know that 4S ranch is snooty? Nice and new doesn't always equal snooty. It isn't snooty or WASPy.
I am not saying that nice equals snooty...just comparing Otay to 4S...I lived in the area and had contact with folks who lived there. It is my opinion...not fact. Your opionion is different. The homes of 4 S Ranch are new and nice...that does not mean nice people live there.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:26 AM

786 posts, read 3,923,547 times
Quote:
II went to the gym in 4 S...I just see a vast difference in the attitude from that area....

Now I understand why you feel that way - there are a group of moms from one of the schools that are like a gang of stepford wives at that gym. We're not all like that here!! Sorry for your experience.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
unfairly judge....I am "judging" (using your language) based on my experience with folks who live in this area of town...I lived in this "upper middle class" section of SD too. Maybe the few that you know are different than the few I know...and neither of us are on target...I am speaking from my direct experience and observation.

No offense meant.
I'm not offended at all. I just meant that in general there does seem to be generalized sweeping statements made about the people in San Diego - from NorCo residents being "snooty" or "materialistic" or residents of City Heights being "thugs" or "gang busters".

I realize these statements are made based on individual experiences but lately there seems to be a spate of generalizations that really aren't accurate because it just doesn't apply to everyone who resides in these different areas. No doubt these stereotypes DO exist and they end up influencing outsiders' views of whole communities.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
I'm not offended at all. I just meant that in general there does seem to be generalized sweeping statements made about the people in San Diego - from NorCo residents being "snooty" or "materialistic" or residents of City Heights being "thugs" or "gang busters".
It's typical. Personally, working in North County and living in the City, I hear a lot more stereotyping going from North to South than the other way around. I've been told that we "live like rats" in "the ghetto" on more occasions than I'd like to remember.

The interesting thing to me is how many North County-ites - especially people in Carlsbad, O'side, and the 78 corridor, have never even been to Balboa Park! I am stunned when they say they've never been there.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post

The interesting thing to me is how many North County-ites - especially people in Carlsbad, O'side, and the 78 corridor, have never even been to Balboa Park! I am stunned when they say they've never been there.
Hah! Try growing up in Staten Island and finding out your classmates have NEVER been to the city or the Statue of Liberty, or the Empire State Building or even on the SI Ferry! One of our neighbors never had ventured to Manhattan until I had a piano recital in Manhattan - she came to that...she was in her 60s by then. Amazing!

Quote:
I hear a lot more stereotyping going from North to South than the other way around. I've been told that we "live like rats" in "the ghetto" on more occasions than I'd like to remember.
Oh...it comes from the south, too - you should hear how my friends & I have stereotyped NorCo moms in our own snotty-city-of-San-Diego way. Some of it IS true but a lot of it is just plain wrong. Now, I have to keep my mouth shut because I'm on the verge of becoming a NorCo mom and am now living amongst my NorCo mom friends. LOL

Old 02-04-2008, 03:19 PM
BNB

Quote:
I have a lot of friends who live at 4S Ranch who are as far away from WASPy as can be (they are "minority races")
I meant that as in more waspy than the otay ranch area. Both are beautiful communities. I did not mean either term as derogative...just a description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Now I understand why you feel that way - there are a group of moms from one of the schools that are like a gang of stepford wives at that gym. We're not all like that here!! Sorry for your experience.
LOL! Exactly. I know you all are not that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego