Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 PM

414 posts, read 508,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoon85 View Post
I get that people feel it is extortion to tax payers. However, with so many other cities willing to buy stadiums you have to play ball or lose them. We saw the Sonics go to OKC. It is like the absurd housing prices in San Diego. If someone is willing to pay it, that is what the market dictates.
How about we not follow the lead of these other reckless cities? It eventually happened with the Winter Olympics and now the International Olympic Committee is forced to tone down its expectations and demands.

I think we should avoid a race to the bottom.

Quote:
The team brings in jobs and a certain status to a City. Plus, it gives people more things to do. I see it as a loss and I am bummed a deal wasn't worked out.
400 million dollars worth of jobs? I don't think so....

The Chargers do not give any status to this city. San Diego's relevance and status has absolutely nothing to do with our football team. It will always be beloved for its lifestyle, weather, and tacos regardless of the Chargers. We are better than them.

When will people wake up and realize that the Spanos family DOES NOT CARE about San Diego. They are trying to get this stadium deal through so they can sell the Chargers organization for an extra $200 million. Honestly, stop the madness! Fix roads, update technology in schools, address homelessness, build infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 06:31 PM

912 posts, read 914,439 times
I have zero numbers to back this and don't feel like researching it at the moment, but just from living there compared to other places I've lived, don't shoot the messenger but the town isn't a very "football" town compared to other cities. Could it be possible that it's simply a cost-benefit decision? To be very honest, I was always surprised San Diego had a team at all. I cheered for my home team (no matter where I live), but saw little support for the Chargers in San Diego compared to other cities with their teams.

My home team always seems to make these lists, usually at #3, on this list a little lower depending on how they score. I have also lived in a couple of the cities on this list. They *do* football like their life depends on it. I didn't see that in SD, and it actually made me homesick. Even if it's not for my team, I like to see that team spirit http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlh45...las-cowboys-2/ In this list they say this was their criteria. Other lists use other criteria, but the same handful bump around at the top. GO RAVENS! (we still love you, even in your off year):

"The NFL's Best Fans
Our list of the NFL's Best Fans confirms that Dallas is America's Team. Our ranking is based on five criteria: stadium attendance (a combination of consecutive sell-outs and average season stadium capacity), television ratings (as provided by Nielsen), merchandise sales (per NFLShop.com), social media reach (a combination of Facebook likes and Twitter followers based on the team’s metro area population), and fan club presence (based on the active number found online). To prevent bandwagon fans and frontrunners from skewing the results, two years worth of data were used for stadium attendance, TV ratings, and merchandise sales. "

Last edited by UserName14289; 12-06-2015 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Added more fun info

Old 12-06-2015, 07:23 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,523,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoon85 View Post

The team brings in jobs and a certain status to a City.
How much more insignificant is Los Angeles or Austin for not having an NFL team.

How much more significant is Jacksonville, Buffalo, or Charlotte for having an NFL team.

If SD does lose its NFL team, it will suck, but it will in no way affect the image of the city.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:58 PM

414 posts, read 508,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
How much more insignificant is Los Angeles or Austin for not having an NFL team.

How much more significant is Jacksonville, Buffalo, or Charlotte for having an NFL team.

If SD does lose its NFL team, it will suck, but it will in no way affect the image of the city.
Especially considering how awesome our city is! It really does have a good reputation around the country. A reputation that literally has nothing to do with the NFL.

I think having an NFL team brings status for cities that are unmemorable or insignificant. Know one would care or know about Green Bay or Jacksonville if they didn't have a team. Fortunately San Diego isn't a low-tier city like Green Bay and doesn't need sports.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:13 PM

50,233 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
Especially considering how awesome our city is! It really does have a good reputation around the country. A reputation that literally has nothing to do with the NFL.

I think having an NFL team brings status for cities that are unmemorable or insignificant. Know one would care or know about Green Bay or Jacksonville if they didn't have a team. Fortunately San Diego isn't a low-tier city like Green Bay and doesn't need sports.
Agree 100%. Green Bay without football is nothing unless you like to hunt deer and shovel snow.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:49 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post

As a big Charger fan myself and have been since the age of 5, I resent this post.

You guys either aren't true fans of the team or don't understand the significance the team has had on San Diego not only in it's culture, but as a football town and what it means to have an NFL team in your city.

To sit here and act like if the Chargers up and left SD, and moved to L.A. wont mean anything, you're wrong.
The Chargers have been in SD for 55 freakin years! That's a very very long time to be in one city, it has brought memories, good and bad to generations of Charger fans. The team has deep roots here, so for them to leave is like ripping apart a piece of San Diego with it. I would understand if the team was here for like 20 years , but we're talking about one of the original AFL teams that dates back to the 1960.

Imagine the Pittsburg without the Steelers? That would be unthinkable! Sure SD is beautiful place with lots of things to do, but to be one giant tourist town isn't enough to elevate your status and be competitive with other big cities.

Even to this day, San Diego is overlooked because of L.A., so we as a city need to do everything we can to elevate our status and try to have stronger identity than simply being a vacation destination. Nobody takes SD seriously because we don't have a strong economy that revolves around high paying jobs, the massive tourism industry that is in SD brings downs wages as the jobs are at the bottom of the pay scale.

Take away the military and SD would be in crisis mode economically. So to have a pro sports team brings an identity to your city. It shows that you are capable and worthy enough to have one as well. Oh yeah and it's also another way to advertise your city with PRIDE. Like when I was wearing my Charger jersey in Dallas, everyone most likely knew I was from SD, and I loved every minute of it.

I don't care what anybody says, SD is a FOOTBALL TOWN, not baseball, and not hockey. I see more Bolt stickers and Charger flags on the back of people's cars and trucks here than I do Padre ones. As a matter of fact, I rarely ever see a Padre logo on anyone's vehicles.

The reason the Charger support has collapsed in the past few years is that the team ownership hasn't done enough to make this team better, plus the threat to move to L.A..has pissed off a lot of fans and you can't blame them for it. To top it off, the thousands of transplants doesn't make it any better, so it looks like there's no support for the team, but the reality is we just have too many outsiders that live here for anybody to notice.

It sucks, and pisses me off to see our stadium being overrun by opposing team fans. It's sickening and disgraceful, but I understand the reasons behind it. Overall, to have a pro sports team in your market, especially the NFL is major, because all the biggest cities in the U.S. has a pro football team in there city. To lose the Chargers will just mean that this town isn't good enough to keep it teams.

We lost the Rockets, and the Clippers, and soon the Chargers. To only house a pro baseball team would be lousy and pathetic for a city our size. We'll be Portland of CA.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
As a big Charger fan myself and have been since the age of 5, I resent this post.

You guys either aren't true fans of the team or don't understand the significance the team has had on San Diego not only in it's culture, but as a football town and what it means to have an NFL team in your city.

To sit here and act like if the Chargers up and left SD, and moved to L.A. wont mean anything, you're wrong.
The Chargers have been in SD for 55 freakin years! That's a very very long time to be in one city, it has brought memories, good and bad to generations of Charger fans. The team has deep roots here, so for them to leave is like ripping apart a piece of San Diego with it. I would understand if the team was here for like 20 years , but we're talking about one of the original AFL teams that dates back to the 1960.

Imagine the Pittsburg without the Steelers? That would be unthinkable! Sure SD is beautiful place with lots of things to do, but to be one giant tourist town isn't enough to elevate your status and be competitive with other big cities.

Even to this day, San Diego is overlooked because of L.A., so we as a city need to do everything we can to elevate our status and try to have stronger identity than simply being a vacation destination. Nobody takes SD seriously because we don't have a strong economy that revolves around high paying jobs, the massive tourism industry that is in SD brings downs wages as the jobs are at the bottom of the pay scale.

Take away the military and SD would be in crisis mode economically. So to have a pro sports team brings an identity to your city. It shows that you are capable and worthy enough to have one as well. Oh yeah and it's also another way to advertise your city with PRIDE. Like when I was wearing my Charger jersey in Dallas, everyone most likely knew I was from SD, and I loved every minute of it.

I don't care what anybody says, SD is a FOOTBALL TOWN, not baseball, and not hockey. I see more Bolt stickers and Charger flags on the back of people's cars and trucks here than I do Padre ones. As a matter of fact, I rarely ever see a Padre logo on anyone's vehicles.

The reason the Charger support has collapsed in the past few years is that the team ownership hasn't done enough to make this team better, plus the threat to move to L.A..has pissed off a lot of fans and you can't blame them for it. To top it off, the thousands of transplants doesn't make it any better, so it looks like there's no support for the team, but the reality is we just have too many outsiders that live here for anybody to notice.

It sucks, and pisses me off to see our stadium being overrun by opposing team fans. It's sickening and disgraceful, but I understand the reasons behind it. Overall, to have a pro sports team in your market, especially the NFL is major, because all the biggest cities in the U.S. has a pro football team in there city. To lose the Chargers will just mean that this town isn't good enough to keep it teams.

We lost the Rockets, and the Clippers, and soon the Chargers. To only house a pro baseball team would be lousy and pathetic for a city our size. We'll be Portland of CA.
The Chargers are likely gone. I'd start looking for other things to bolster your identity if it's that tied to a game we don't play. I'm sorry, I don't identify with people getting drunk at 9 am on a few Sundays over other people playing a game. Spanos can pound it.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:48 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,023,142 times
Cheer up San Diegans, that Carson deal is getting weaker and weaker. Here's an article from yesterday stating that land around the potential stadium site is no longer available. While that doesn't completely kill the deal, it's makes it less financially feasible. I have no idea why the NFL would favor this site over Inglewood, but this may change that sentiment a little.

Potential Carson project development land unavailable - NFL.com

Old 12-07-2015, 10:17 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,534,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
I have zero numbers to back this and don't feel like researching it at the moment, but just from living there compared to other places I've lived, don't shoot the messenger but the town isn't a very "football" town compared to other cities. Could it be possible that it's simply a cost-benefit decision? To be very honest, I was always surprised San Diego had a team at all. I cheered for my home team (no matter where I live), but saw little support for the Chargers in San Diego compared to other cities with their teams.

My home team always seems to make these lists, usually at #3, on this list a little lower depending on how they score. I have also lived in a couple of the cities on this list. They *do* football like their life depends on it. I didn't see that in SD, and it actually made me homesick. Even if it's not for my team, I like to see that team spirit No. 1: Dallas Cowboys - In Photos: NFL's Best Fans - Forbes In this list they say this was their criteria. Other lists use other criteria, but the same handful bump around at the top. GO RAVENS! (we still love you, even in your off year):

"The NFL's Best Fans
Our list of the NFL's Best Fans confirms that Dallas is America's Team. Our ranking is based on five criteria: stadium attendance (a combination of consecutive sell-outs and average season stadium capacity), television ratings (as provided by Nielsen), merchandise sales (per NFLShop.com), social media reach (a combination of Facebook likes and Twitter followers based on the team’s metro area population), and fan club presence (based on the active number found online). To prevent bandwagon fans and frontrunners from skewing the results, two years worth of data were used for stadium attendance, TV ratings, and merchandise sales. "
Not for the chargers, yes i agree.
But when it comes to Pop Warner/High School Football, the talent and love for the game of Football in this city is Huge!
There had to of Been at lease 12k-13k people For the Helix vs St Augustine championship game Saturday night. They turned away another 3k without tickets, mostly Saints fans
We Have 4 Heisman trophy winners and Countless NFL Players, the most of any one City
Go Helix!

Old 12-07-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Not for the chargers, yes i agree.
But when it comes to Pop Warner/High School Football, the talent and love for the game of Football in this city is Huge!
There had to of Been at lease 12k-13k people For the Helix vs St Augustine championship game Saturday night. They turned away another 3k without tickets, mostly Saints fans
We Have 4 Heisman trophy winners and Countless NFL Players, the most of any one City
Go Helix!
I'll take a local HS game over a "pro" game any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego