Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 12:02 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoon85 View Post
It wouldn't be for the weather. It would be for other events think: final fours, concerts, events etc. it would be a retractable dome. You could leave the dome open for all the games. More cities want other events to produce revenue since pro football home games are normally 8 games if no playoffs. This stadium needs to be built for the future in my opinion.
the other event examples you listed don't necessarily need a roof at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 05:27 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Since he didn't get his way, what do you think his next move is? Does he concede and make-up in SD, or is his ego too bruised? I can't get over the $550 million relocation fee to be a tenant.. if I read that right.

The City of San Diego will likely honor their original deal. I hope they reach out to him and try to make this work. I think they should make the stadium with a retractable dome, so other events could be held there outside of 8 football games a year. That would allow concerts and other events to increase revenue. They might also attract some major college bowl games if they do it right. San Diego is a destination city and that could help to lure a future super bowl, too.
If Spanos won't budge on Mission Valley then let him move to Inglewood in 2017. If it goes to a vote here he's screwed.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:26 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Word on the street is, Spanos and Kroenke Jets never left Houston last night.
Maybe working on a deal
The Spanos family is doing this for needed money. The Family is broke and barley holding on to chargers.
They are going to move the team to LA and sell it!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:55 AM

60 posts, read 80,861 times
I heard Spanos say last night that the $100 million the NFL would give him to stay needs to be considered. I can't see why the Rams would want to split the LA market when they don't have to. Also, Spanos tried pushing the Rams out of his Carson deal.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:12 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
I heard Spanos say last night that the $100 million the NFL would give him to stay needs to be considered. I can't see why the Rams would want to split the LA market when they don't have to. Also, Spanos tried pushing the Rams out of his Carson deal.
True
Dean Spanos and Kroenke don't like each other, and here's why.
Quote:
Speculation has mounted in recent weeks that perhaps the "most palatable solution" for the NFL in L.A. would be the Chargers and Rams both playing at Rams Owner Stan Kroenke’s Inglewood stadium site, but a "forced marriage may not be easy," according to Jim Thomas of the ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH. The reasoning "goes deeper than general concerns about the Chargers being a Kroenke 'tenant' in Inglewood." Sources said that Chargers Chair Dean Spanos in '13 "approached Kroenke about pairing up" on the site. It is the "same general area" the Raiders and even the NFL itself had "previously considered as a stadium site." Sources said that Kroenke initially was "not aware the 60-acre tract owned by Wal-Mart was available." Spanos "didn’t hear back from Kroenke for weeks" and "later learned that Kroenke had excluded Spanos and purchased the land himself." Thomas writes it is "difficult to imagine Spanos wishing to now join forces with Kroenke in Inglewood" with this backstory in mind. Some believe that the "only way Spanos would now attempt to partner with Kroenke is if Spanos had no other stadium alternatives and some arrangements could be made to lessen any landlord-tenant status." It is "widely believed that Kroenke lacks the 24 necessary votes from the 32 league owners to approve a relocation" of the Rams. But the Rams "believe they have enough votes to block the Chargers (and Raiders) from gaining approval for their Carson stadium site"

Old 01-13-2016, 04:31 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
The wild card was the San Diego's Mayor.

He positioned his voice to show that the Chargers had built in problems with a move to L.A. 1) unaffordable and 2) unpalatable given Spanos lack of $$ and no love for the Rams owner. What he got is one more year to see if Spanos can pull in his balls and make a deal which will benefit the city and the fans. Faulkner, described this to NFL brass and was persuasive.

We will find out if Spanos has big boy pants or if he "...has daisies where his cinch belt oughta be"

Old 01-13-2016, 10:38 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
I personally don't think Spanos will rekindle talks with SD, this game is over folks. The damage is already done, not only that, but it will take years and a high risk of not getting enough votes for a new stadium proposal to pass here like many have said already. That risk is too high for Spanos to take, and I understand that if I was a business owner.

Plus, by him going to L.A., the value of the team skyrockets instantly, you have Hollywood, and all the entertainment companies to help market the team to make it relevant in L.A.

He will also be playing in probably, when it is completed, one of the most beautiful, magnificent, ultimate stadiums ever built in the world that he could never be able to build here in San Diego.

Benefits of moving to L.A.

More money, more prestige, better TV ratings, 2nd largest media market in the country, Hollywood with it's stars and media, increased marketing power, better able to sell tickets for a higher price, a stadium that will house the NFL Network, new housing construction, an entertainment center, a project that will simply blow away anything that has currently been done in the country. Plus it blocks the Raiders from moving to L.A. which you know Spanos doesn't want to happen because if they do, the Chargers will be landlocked to San Diego, including being the 3rd team in value in SoCal. No owner wants to be in that situation.

The only real downside for Spanos teaming up with the Rams is that the Chargers will always be looked at as the "Other" team, a lack of fan base, and lack of excitement for the Chargers will be noticeable in L.A., and plus a 50-50 co-ownership doesn't sit well with any businessman. Owning your own property and business is a smarter decision financially speaking as you keep all the profits rather than having to share it. You even risk in fighting between owners if anything bad happens, or if say in the future Spanos wants to do something to upgrade the stadium in 20 years, everything will have to go through Kroenke first.

But again, those are the risks he will have to take. Spanos didn't even state last night that he is willing to come back to the table to talk to the City of SD about getting a stadium built here, because if he truly wanted to still be here, he wouldn't mention that. All he says is "Well I have options. and I have to think about it". That doesn't sound good to me as a Charger fan, if he would have came out and said "Yes" I will resume talks with the city and lets see if we can make something happen in SD, then I would feel a little more confident about them staying, but at this point, I believe they will take the L.A. deal. They're stupid if they don't.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:06 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
Continued from above.

Benefits of staying in SD.

The obvious, the FANS! L.A. will never have the same kind of hardcore Charger fans like you do here in SD. That's the other risk the Chargers will make, will Chargers fans even show up to the games in L.A.? Especially how bad they've been playing the past few years?

Spano's will be the sole owner of the stadium, and the benefits of having possibly an MLS team, a NBA team, other entertainment venues, all that money goes back into his wallet. So he will become an even richer man, not L.A. rich, but still, much better off than most NFL owners after having a new stadium in a few years.

So the teams value will only improve, and allow Spanos to keep the Chargers in SD, keeping everybody happy including the Aztecs.

The downsides aren't that bad, but because the Rams are moving back to L.A., Spanos knows now he will be eventually pushed out of that market over time if he stays in SD. To salvage any damage and to at least keep a small chunk of the L.A. market fanbase is important to him. So even if a new stadium is built here, he has lost any Charger support that live in L.A. and O.C., to the new stadium and excitement of the Rams in Inglewood.

The other downsides is that San Diego is a small media market, less in TV revenue, less in corporate sponsorship, less in everything. It is very difficult to compete with L.A., it's a juggernaut. The whole Carson plan and the Chargers wanting to move to L.A. was to block Kroenke and the Rams from moving there in the first place! Now that it has happened, Spano's lost out on L.A. to have the market completely to himself and will finally have to decide if wants to at least be part of L.A. relocation excitement, or not.

As for the Raiders, they wont get anything done in Oakland, so if the Chargers leave, don't be surprised if Mark Davis calls the Mayor of SD and tries to work out a deal here. After all, even if the Rams and Chargers are in L.A., if the Raiders moved to SD, that means you'll have even more Raider fans at the games in SD show up from L.A., as Raider fans totally outnumber Rams and Bolts fans in L.A., hands down. The image of the Raiders doesn't fit the SD market, but it's much better to have an NFL team in SD, than none at all.

After all, the Raiders will be desperate for a new home, and will do anything to get a new stadium and San Diego is the only city currently that is offering public funds to help build one. To me, that is a great incentive to any NFL owner. And no, he will never move to San Antonio, the Raiders are CA team and most likely will stay that way.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:16 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times
How did San Diego blow the Chargers deal is more like"How did the Chargers blow the San Diego deal".

Old 01-14-2016, 12:54 AM

496 posts, read 574,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Continued from above.

Benefits of staying in SD.

The obvious, the FANS! L.A. will never have the same kind of hardcore Charger fans like you do here in SD. That's the other risk the Chargers will make, will Chargers fans even show up to the games in L.A.? Especially how bad they've been playing the past few years?

Spano's will be the sole owner of the stadium, and the benefits of having possibly an MLS team, a NBA team, other entertainment venues, all that money goes back into his wallet. So he will become an even richer man, not L.A. rich, but still, much better off than most NFL owners after having a new stadium in a few years.

So the teams value will only improve, and allow Spanos to keep the Chargers in SD, keeping everybody happy including the Aztecs.

The downsides aren't that bad, but because the Rams are moving back to L.A., Spanos knows now he will be eventually pushed out of that market over time if he stays in SD. To salvage any damage and to at least keep a small chunk of the L.A. market fanbase is important to him. So even if a new stadium is built here, he has lost any Charger support that live in L.A. and O.C., to the new stadium and excitement of the Rams in Inglewood.

The other downsides is that San Diego is a small media market, less in TV revenue, less in corporate sponsorship, less in everything. It is very difficult to compete with L.A., it's a juggernaut. The whole Carson plan and the Chargers wanting to move to L.A. was to block Kroenke and the Rams from moving there in the first place! Now that it has happened, Spano's lost out on L.A. to have the market completely to himself and will finally have to decide if wants to at least be part of L.A. relocation excitement, or not.

As for the Raiders, they wont get anything done in Oakland, so if the Chargers leave, don't be surprised if Mark Davis calls the Mayor of SD and tries to work out a deal here. After all, even if the Rams and Chargers are in L.A., if the Raiders moved to SD, that means you'll have even more Raider fans at the games in SD show up from L.A., as Raider fans totally outnumber Rams and Bolts fans in L.A., hands down. The image of the Raiders doesn't fit the SD market, but it's much better to have an NFL team in SD, than none at all.

After all, the Raiders will be desperate for a new home, and will do anything to get a new stadium and San Diego is the only city currently that is offering public funds to help build one. To me, that is a great incentive to any NFL owner. And no, he will never move to San Antonio, the Raiders are CA team and most likely will stay that way.
i can tell u right now lol u DON'T want the raiders in your town...lololol (im in LA, and WE don't want the raiders) too much craziness!!!!! SD will not be able to deal with that....you guys are too tame for that...and that's a good thing lol but even big, bad LA would not want to deal with that lolol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego