Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:55 PM

183 posts, read 204,770 times

Advertisements

I guess a simple water hose can do the trick, if too close to someone's house/personal space.

I only brought this up regarding the invasion of privacy, not to destroy someone's personal property. In fact, I'd hate to destroy the drone that is bringing me my Amazon package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 03:58 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,904,882 times
I can see it now, somebody shoots down some cartels drone transporting drugs (drones already have been going in/out of prisons or at least attempted to do it) and winds up missing soon thereafter.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 PM

3,691 posts, read 1,335,448 times
You cant SHOOT it down with a firearm, but what about a pellet gun? What about a water cannon of some kind? What about a large slingshot that deploys a net?
I saw a guy with a drone at the park the other day, while i think they are neat it dawned upon me the only real use for one is seeing things from above. A lot of things you probably shouldnt.
I would imagine there is some way to deny the airspace above your property from drones. As for making money patenting it forget it. China will steal the idea yesterday.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:08 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
You cant SHOOT it down with a firearm, but what about a pellet gun? What about a water cannon of some kind? What about a large slingshot that deploys a net?
I saw a guy with a drone at the park the other day, while i think they are neat it dawned upon me the only real use for one is seeing things from above. A lot of things you probably shouldnt.
I would imagine there is some way to deny the airspace above your property from drones. As for making money patenting it forget it. China will steal the idea yesterday.
A pellet gun is legal to use only if the pellets do not leave your property. So a public park is off limits to air powered fire arms.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:27 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,091,122 times
I fly r/c planes & jets for years and I (along with the vast majority of plane, heli & jet guys) hate those drones. I'd like to be able to electronically hijack the drone, land it safely in my backyard and then destroy it with a five pound hand sledge. There is a place for the r/c hobby and that is within the boundaries of a AMA approved flying field, not over communities, parks, beaches, highways, people, etc. The drone guys don't understand that though and will argue about that until I want to take an aluminum baseball bat to them.

Last edited by FC76-81; 01-04-2016 at 04:37 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 04:31 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,069,361 times
Jamming technology exists but is banned by the FCC. You can build your own but you can not legally sell them and they are not easy to build a real one you have to have a high functioning knowledge of electrical engineering and have the means to mill out your own circuit boards.

You can put together "poor mans" jammers but they wont have the effectiveness that you would like. A real jammer operates on destructive interference that can block spread spectrum to deny frequency hopping at anywhere from a half mile up to 3 miles. The drone will stop dead in its tracks once it hits the sphere.

Poor mans jammers just flood the air with noise and its not very efficient and if you don't know what you are doing you wont even match the right frequencies.

http://www2.ece.gatech.edu/academic/...design/jammer/

this is the high level PFD but does not include the phase shifting to get totally destructive interference which is another 2 modules.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I can see it now, somebody shoots down some cartels drone transporting drugs (drones already have been going in/out of prisons or at least attempted to do it) and winds up missing soon thereafter.
You know there was a news report about 2 mos. ago describing how they found a crashed drone in Tijuana that had been carrying meth. About 3 lbs IIRC. The DEA spokesman asserted it was an intra-city shipment and the cartels wouldnt use drones to breach the border.
What patronizing BS and this is where I lose respect for law enforcement for assuming we are that dumb. Why would the cartels risk putting it on a drone when they can just drive it around town.... And if the courier got stopped by police its highly unlikely he would get busted.
No the real story is that the DEA won't admit they are completely powerless to stop drug smuggling drones. If they even could shoot them down they wouldn't dare actually doing it for fear of lawsuits when the cargo rained down upon populated areas. Really, can you imagine that... bags of meth blown up in the air, landing randomly around children...children of poor people with lawyers chasing them?

Old 01-04-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A pellet gun is legal to use only if the pellets do not leave your property. So a public park is off limits to air powered fire arms.
Youd have to be a hell of a marksman too AND have one of those powerful match rifles that fire around 1200 fps or more. Those are generally single shot break barrel rifles with a nitrogen charged piston. I don't think CO2 powered repeaters have the kind of muzzle velocity for long range accuracy and stopping power. So you get one shot at a time.
Though one of those bb machine guns would be fun to try.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Jamming technology exists but is banned by the FCC. You can build your own but you can not legally sell them and they are not easy to build a real one you have to have a high functioning knowledge of electrical engineering and have the means to mill out your own circuit boards.

You can put together "poor mans" jammers but they wont have the effectiveness that you would like. A real jammer operates on destructive interference that can block spread spectrum to deny frequency hopping at anywhere from a half mile up to 3 miles. The drone will stop dead in its tracks once it hits the sphere.

Poor mans jammers just flood the air with noise and its not very efficient and if you don't know what you are doing you wont even match the right frequencies.

Design:Jammer

this is the high level PFD but does not include the phase shifting to get totally destructive interference which is another 2 modules.
That stuff isnt exactly OTS is it.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:07 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,374,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Youd have to be a hell of a marksman too AND have one of those powerful match rifles that fire around 1200 fps or more. Those are generally single shot break barrel rifles with a nitrogen charged piston. I don't think CO2 powered repeaters have the kind of muzzle velocity for long range accuracy and stopping power. So you get one shot at a time.
Though one of those bb machine guns would be fun to try.

I think it would be fun to try too. I always fired "expert" on the Marine Corps rifle range. Too bad they are so expensive - I think it would be fun to be in shooting competition with drones....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego