Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 03:59 PM

30 posts, read 31,836 times

Advertisements

I am super excited about my move to SD in six months. I love the beaches and the weather. However, I am in a unique situation. I will be moving to San Diego for a year from Midwest and then coming back. I am planning on leaving my current furniture and bed at a storage facility here. I am overwhelmed with the renting options in San Diego. My budget is $1200-$1300 for a studio or one bedroom. I know a few things that are important:
1. Fairly close to beach - a short drive if not walkable
2. Quiet neighborhood - I am a light sleeper
3. Good amenities - dish washer, pool, laundry etc.

I am also torn between pacific beach and hillcrest/down town. The apartments in hillcrest have good amenities but far from the beach. Also, for me the whole point of moving to SD is to be close to the beach. Pacific beach is wonderful but I can't find apartments with good amenities in my price range. Also PB apartments generally have bad reviews - neighbors smoking weed, sketchy and noisy neighbors etc. Is this specific to PB?

One more thing that's complex is how to furnish my place. I looked at furnished apartments in SD but there aren't many in my price range or the apartments closer to beach are unfurnished. Can I rent furniture for a year instead of locking at furnished places? Am I missing something? I am using forrent.com and apartment guide for searching. Any other websites I should be looking at?

I know I have to compromise on a few things. Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 05:26 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,939,150 times
Hillcrest is close enough to beach with better life quality than PB.
Buy ikea furniture, maybe reputable consignment store, trustworthy Craig's list neighborhood.
Enjoy climate and ez trips to beach and elsewhere.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:17 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,677 times
Cort furniture rents in San Diego. They were huge in Sacramento since there were so many elected officials that needed an apartment in Sacto while their main residence was in the area they represented. You might check Cort for furniture rental.

Quick Delivery, National Service. Go to CORT Furniture Rental Now!
8288 Miramar Road, San Diego, CA (858) 549-0800

Old 12-20-2015, 06:28 PM

37 posts, read 42,903 times
Don't expect to live walking distance to the beach without some very undesirable sides.
If I were you, I would rent a room. That way you can have some good common area things taken care of and furnish just a room.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:10 PM

414 posts, read 508,760 times
A Midwesterner temporarily living in San Diego...

Isn't that like 30% of San Diegans?

Welcome!

Old 12-21-2015, 12:26 AM

30 posts, read 31,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Hillcrest is close enough to beach with better life quality than PB.
Buy ikea furniture, maybe reputable consignment store, trustworthy Craig's list neighborhood.
Enjoy climate and ez trips to beach and elsewhere.

Ok. I didn't know that. I like that hillcrest has some fun bars and restaurants. I thought PB did too. Except PB is probably more noisier?

Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,939,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachy_person2 View Post
Ok. I didn't know that. I like that hillcrest has some fun bars and restaurants. I thought PB did too. Except PB is probably more noisier?
Generally, PB is noisier and less classy, though right on the beach.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:24 AM

771 posts, read 836,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachy_person2 View Post
I am also torn between pacific beach and hillcrest/down town. The apartments in hillcrest have good amenities but far from the beach. Also, for me the whole point of moving to SD is to be close to the beach. Pacific beach is wonderful but I can't find apartments with good amenities in my price range. Also PB apartments generally have bad reviews - neighbors smoking weed, sketchy and noisy neighbors etc. Is this specific to PB?
PB is typically a younger, rowdier crowd that does a fair amount of drinking. The Grand/Garnet avenue corridor are pretty much the epicenter of the nightlife/drinking/noise and somewhat along Mission as well (largely centered on its intersection with Grand/Garnet). The northern part near Bird Rock and La Jolla tends to be quieter, but it is also more expensive. I can't give you specific info as I follow townhouse and SFH at a different price point.

I love the wide beach and walking or running on the beach boardwalk in PB. Hillcrest isn't THAT far from the beach, but it's a whole different animal than living in PB, especially the western half of PB. I would try to find a room for rent close to the water. You didn't mention car or job but PB might be totally doable without a car IMO.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:11 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,900 times
To the original poster:

The first thing you need to understand is that you're moving to California. It isn't Peoria, so to speak. People smoke weed. Get used to that. Do a YouTube search for a Two and a Half Men episode about Russell, the pharmacist. He sells Charlie some weed, and in California, it's about that easy.

As for PB or Hillcrest? I've lived in both places as well as in South Mission Beach and Del Mar. There's nothing wrong with PB or Mission Beach, and you might even find something in your price range. As for "amenities"? Get used to this, also: you're not going to find those, or if you do, you can't afford it. There's a good chance you'll have to take your clothes to the laundromat, and forget about finding a pool. Don't forget, the entire Pacific Ocean would be a few blocks away.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:13 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,900 times
I forgot. To furnish your place you need a cheap futon to throw on the floor, a card table and some folding chairs, and a brick and board bookcase for your TV/stereo. Done. When you leave put it all in the dumpster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego