Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 03:01 PM

40 posts, read 120,642 times

Advertisements

Hey SD,

My wife and I are moving back to SD from Denver, and we're considering Carlsbad as a place to live. For context, we're 30ish, have a big dog, no kids yet. Not big on the party life. We love the beach, hiking, exploring, and trying new restaurants. I work from home and my wife will as well, so traffic and commute stuff really isn't an issue for us.

When we lived in SD before, we lived in La Jolla Colony near UCSD, and later in Mission Valley. We really liked both locations: they're both safe and clean and had convenient access to shopping/grocery/restaurants/beaches. Generally speaking, we'd be happy living in either of those areas again but we're also pretty interested in Carlsbad. It also seems safe, pretty, and similar (in a way) to UTC in terms of convenience to all of the things I mentioned previously.

The primary reason we're interested in Carlsbad is frankly because it seems you get a lot more for your money there. We're looking at a budget of $3k a month, and it seems a newer/nicer 3br is pretty attainable in Carlsbad for that price vs the other two options. It's also closer to the beach than a lot of the inland neighborhoods, and the few times I've been there it seemed really nice. We're looking at areas around La Costa primarily, if that helps.

I guess what I'm hoping for is some insight from others who've made the move from areas in SD to North County and Carlsbad in particular. I know it's a really family-oriented place, which is good, and we'd like to have kids soon. But I've also heard (jokingly) that we'll be the only people without kids there. Is there truth to that? How does the vibe compare with an area like UTC or MV? Do you find that you ever miss being in SD, and do you pretty much never go to SD anymore? When we ventured up to Carlsbad before it always seemed super far away.

Sorry for the rather general questions here, and thanks very much in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 06:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
You might want to go to the search forum section and search for Carlsbad.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:40 PM

183 posts, read 207,307 times
I would recommend the Solana beach to Encinatas area. It has a more vibrant scene for couples without kids. It does cost more though, but not as rowdy as Pacific beach or downtown.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:44 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,035 times
I made the leap from SD to North County quite a few years ago and never looked back. Everything I need and want is right here (it's grown tremendously over the years). NC is awesome! I hardly ever go to SD except Fashion Valley once in a while. Carlsbad is a very popular place to live right now, more and more so every day it seems. You can't go wrong....I don't have kids, live in Encinitas and never felt out of place. There's people of all ages here, and plenty of retirees. UTC/MV are much more dense than Carlsbad. There will be a Nordstrom's in Carlsbad within the next year or so!

If you feel the need to go to downtown SD area, you can always take the Coaster.

Carlsbad, Encinitas, Cardiff...they are all great.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:49 AM

175 posts, read 250,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I made the leap from SD to North County quite a few years ago and never looked back. Everything I need and want is right here (it's grown tremendously over the years). NC is awesome! I hardly ever go to SD except Fashion Valley once in a while. Carlsbad is a very popular place to live right now, more and more so every day it seems. You can't go wrong....I don't have kids, live in Encinitas and never felt out of place. There's people of all ages here, and plenty of retirees. UTC/MV are much more dense than Carlsbad. There will be a Nordstrom's in Carlsbad within the next year or so!

If you feel the need to go to downtown SD area, you can always take the Coaster.

Carlsbad, Encinitas, Cardiff...they are all great.
There are lots of singles, young couples in Carlsbad and rents are cheaper than encinitas and southward, but you can find something cheap further south than Carlsbad if you keep looking longer.

The new mall with the Nordstrom is subject to voter approval in February.

The old mall will be renovated.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:24 PM

20 posts, read 29,874 times
I live in Carlsbad. Yes, lots of familys here which I like because I have one. My good friend and his wife moved here a while back and liked it ok, but they were kind of bored. They also were not into the party life but felt like they were outsiders so to say as they didnt have much in common with their neighbors. They ended up moving down to Mission Valley area. You might try looking a little further south in Encinitas or Solana Beach but the rent will be a slightly higher.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:28 PM

912 posts, read 915,827 times
I had the misfortune of living in Carlsbad (not my speed). I agree > Encinitas for the win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego