Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 10:55 PM

4 posts, read 7,277 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving out early from an apartment. I'm in San Diego, California
My lease states that I can terminate my lease by

-A written notice that I have elected to exercise this option
-pay an early termination fee of $2500 and reimbursement of all move in concessions.
- rent and other amounts due through the accelerated termination date

Can someone tell me what this all means? I understand it for the most part. What are move-in concessions and how much do you think it is? Will doing this hurt or effect my credit?

I know I can just go to my landlord, but I want to be sure of what i want to do before I tell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 12:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,337 times
Your best bet is to talk to an attorney specializing in tenant law.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/S...!3m1!4b1?hl=en
Many attorneys will give a short 15-30 minute first appointment consultation at no charge.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:53 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Transfer this to the Renter's forum for the answers.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:26 AM

175 posts, read 250,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jha125 View Post
I'm thinking of moving out early from an apartment. I'm in San Diego, California
My lease states that I can terminate my lease by

-A written notice that I have elected to exercise this option
-pay an early termination fee of $2500 and reimbursement of all move in concessions.
- rent and other amounts due through the accelerated termination date

Can someone tell me what this all means? I understand it for the most part. What are move-in concessions and how much do you think it is? Will doing this hurt or effect my credit?

I know I can just go to my landlord, but I want to be sure of what i want to do before I tell them.

Do not pay the 2500 fee and concessions. Your property management company, probably Conam or mg properties, is in violation of california state law, which says to provide 30 days notice. Then, if they cannot find a new tenant after you move out, you pay by the day until they find one. The state law does not allow them to collect concessions or pay a lease buy out fee. Get an attorney to represent you, you'll have to go to the corporate office for the management company and find out who to take to court. Your apartment manager will get fired, since anytime there is legal action, managers are let go.

This will not hurt your credit as long as you and your attorney sue the senior management as soon as possible.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 PM

Hope the OP finds the LAndlord and Tenant book below, in either one of the thread they started, they can find a good attorney and get out of this - I just arrived in San Diego and won't rent from these management companies due to these expensive lease buy out fees, which aren't allowed under California State Law.

The problem is in a related thread the poster (original poster) stated they want to charge $2500 for a lease break fee, and that s/he would have to pay back the move in concessions (i.e. perhaps it was a free months worth of rent).

Both, are illegal under California State Law. The law states that anyone is allowed to break a lease early, as long as they give 30 days notice. Then, the landlord is responsible for finding someone to rent the unit during that 30 day period.

If the landlord fails to do so, then the tenant must pay by the day. Not a lease break fee. Not returning concessions. They pay by the day, until the landlord finds a new tenant.

See related thread.

Soon, CONAM, MG Properties, DECRON Properties, Equity, Greystar, RK Properties, and many others will be governed by even stricter state laws prohibiting them from punishing tenants with these lease break fees.

If the OP wishes to break the lease due to bad neighbors or drugs, then the management company is already in violation of California State Law, and the OP can easily win in court.

San Diego, is a horrible apartment market, worse than L.A. I would never rent from a management company here. Only private owners who follow the law.

California Law,

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf

Old 01-03-2016, 11:23 AM

29 posts, read 27,543 times
Can you repost that link? It wouldn't open. My rental property has the same language. I have to pay a 1700 break fee plus concessions plus 30 days notice. I think it's holland or something. My concession fee is also one months worth of rent. I would love to move earlier but was worried about the amount of money required to move out. I will look into this more....

Old 01-04-2016, 12:00 AM

It is illegal to ask to pay the first months rent concession. That is extortion.
The PDF should be off of this page.....
Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 01-04-2016, 09:31 PM

29 posts, read 27,543 times
Thanks!

Old 01-07-2016, 05:46 PM

20 posts, read 29,837 times
Move in concessions would be things like any amount of free rent you received during your lease term such as a 1/2 off first months rent or something similar. Could go as far as improvements too though like if you asked for new carpet prior to move in. They could ask for the cost of that to be reimbursed as well.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westofthe5 View Post
Move in concessions would be things like any amount of free rent you received during your lease term such as a 1/2 off first months rent or something similar. Could go as far as improvements too though like if you asked for new carpet prior to move in. They could ask for the cost of that to be reimbursed as well.
No they cannot since that violates California penal codes relating to extortion, and, once a product has been sold at a discount, a merchant cannot ask the customer to pay the entire price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego