Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,689,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
....or Playa del Rey in LA, opening up Manhattan Beach, Marina del Rey, or Santa Monica (my choice) as livable options:

Playa Vista turning into Silicon Valley South as tech firms move in
I also very familiar with this area, good luck getting a 5br house here. My ex-boss had a nice house in Santa Monica, his wife was an MBA type and so was him. No children that I saw when I went there. You have to be dreaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 05:08 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,398,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I know Pake Forest, I rather take Amalden Valley. There are pockets of gangs here.
You might get run over by a gang of retirees on a rascal scooter

Old 01-05-2016, 08:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,689,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You might get run over by a gang of retirees on a rascal scooter
I've heard at night, but not in the day. My doctors are in Lake Forest.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:15 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,907,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not sure how that means San Diego is conservative when the Bay Area is even more anti-development. Booze was banned in Ocean Beach in SF and Santa Cruz County beaches long before San Diego too. SD is very moderate, calling it "conservative" in comparison to the Bay Area isn't saying much considering every place in the country is more conservative than here.
Oh I agree California is far different than much the rest of the Country, but SD is known as the far more conservative city compared to LA or SF or Seattle. And it's changed over the years, but at one point it was known as one of Nixon's favorite places not because of the weather.

And while this isn't scientific, it does show you where people put their money and SD is far more in the middle compared to places like SF and Seattle.

https://www.crowdpac.com/games/looku...%20Diego,%20CA
https://www.crowdpac.com/games/looku...rancisco,%20CA
https://www.crowdpac.com/games/looku...=Seattle%2C+WA

Old 01-05-2016, 11:27 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,466,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Orange County and a lot of North San Diego is boring suburbia with no character.
I think you need to revise your sentence....

Some of Orange County and North San Diego is boring suburbia with no character (whatever that vague word has come to mean when describing neighborhoods).

Some of the cities in South OC (the newer ones) might fit that description in spots. But within daily driving of the Google office in Irvine are cities that are interesting and have character.......and are reasonably to definitely safe.

It's on the OP to see (if they're even still interested in OC after some of the negative things said about it here).

Old 01-05-2016, 11:39 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,907,640 times
I honestly don't get the hate for OC. Most of SD and OC are pretty much the same damn places if somebody just dumped you into the middle of some community. I mean if you were dropped in La Jolla vs Laguna Beach, the scenery might change, but half the people are exactly the same kinds of people and the shops are very similar. I would say Laguna beach has a few more things to see and do even. If you live in Poway or Rancho Bernardo, is that really much different than Ladera Ranch or Irvine?

If you don't live downtown SD or even visit downtown SD often, there really isn't a huge difference in many of these places. Traffic is worse in OC and many places are more money, but there are plenty of affordable places as well. Plus LA is closer and there are far more job opportunities in OC and even LA if you were willing, compared to SD.

SD is closer to TJ, but many people don't even go to TJ anymore, or they visit once every 5 years, so it's not even important. But to me, people in Del mar and La Jolla are very similar to those in Laguna Beach and Newport Beach. The boring suburbs of OC are no different than most of the boring suburbs of SD. People just don't like to call places like Encinitas or Carlsbad out near Walmart and Target or Jimbos suburbia.

Don't get me wrong as there are many differences between OC and SD, but when people who don't even live here and don't really know the area start claiming SD is the place for them and trashing OC as nothing but boring sleepy town and yet they want to live in places like Poway, it makes little sense.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:26 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,562,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
. . . If you live in Poway or Rancho Bernardo, is that really much different than Ladera Ranch or Irvine?
. . .
I agree that there's very little difference between SD North County and OC.

But La-di-dah Ranch, except for proximity to the ocean, seems to me to be more Del Mar/La Jolla-ish.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:35 AM

7,381 posts, read 6,460,184 times
and, as pointed out, whereas OC is similar/ slightly more homogeneous than all of SD at least you have the option of hitting LA from OC.... when I lived in OC, I would go up to LA at least twice a month (5 times, if you include Long Beach). I hit LA once every couple of years from SD (once a year if you include Long Beach)....to me, hitting OC a few times a year is the new hitting LA for me from SD, but there really is not much difference aside from Laguna Beach and South Coast Plaza....and Tijuana has turned from what was a once a month or every other month visit up until a few years ago to a once or twice a year visit now.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-06-2016 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 11:39 AM

9,808 posts, read 11,084,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I honestly don't get the hate for OC. Most of SD and OC are pretty much the same damn places if somebody just dumped you into the middle of some community. I mean if you were dropped in La Jolla vs Laguna Beach, the scenery might change, but half the people are exactly the same kinds of people and the shops are very similar. I would say Laguna beach has a few more things to see and do even. If you live in Poway or Rancho Bernardo, is that really much different than Ladera Ranch or Irvine?

If you don't live downtown SD or even visit downtown SD often, there really isn't a huge difference in many of these places. Traffic is worse in OC and many places are more money, but there are plenty of affordable places as well. Plus LA is closer and there are far more job opportunities in OC and even LA if you were willing, compared to SD.

SD is closer to TJ, but many people don't even go to TJ anymore, or they visit once every 5 years, so it's not even important. But to me, people in Del mar and La Jolla are very similar to those in Laguna Beach and Newport Beach. The boring suburbs of OC are no different than most of the boring suburbs of SD. People just don't like to call places like Encinitas or Carlsbad out near Walmart and Target or Jimbos suburbia.

Don't get me wrong as there are many differences between OC and SD, but when people who don't even live here and don't really know the area start claiming SD is the place for them and trashing OC as nothing but boring sleepy town and yet they want to live in places like Poway, it makes little sense.
Omfg this!^^

Old 01-06-2016, 11:41 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,297,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
and, as pointed out, whereas OC is a slightly more homogeneous than all of SD at least you have the option of hitting LA from OC.... when I lived in OC, I would go up to LA at least twice a month (5 times, if you include Long Beach). I hit LA once every couple of years from SD (once a year if you include Long Beach)....to me, hitting OC a few times a year is the new hitting LA for me from SD, but there really is not much difference aside from Laguna Beach and South Coast Plaza.
Yes the "central" location of OC allows frequent access to LA and SD and the Mountains and the beach and .... well a good location for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego