Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times

Advertisements

The bottom line is that you should spend a few weeks travelling around both SD and OC. I could think of far worse things than getting a Goggle gig in Irvine and living in, perhaps, nearby Laguna Beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4quHcjgECk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 12:11 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Dana Point is one of my favorite OC cities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-t6YIJm0C0

Newport Beach is close to Irvine (Google):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQrmNN13NJ4

Old 01-06-2016, 02:52 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I honestly don't get the hate for OC. Most of SD and OC are pretty much the same damn places if somebody just dumped you into the middle of some community. I mean if you were dropped in La Jolla vs Laguna Beach, the scenery might change, but half the people are exactly the same kinds of people and the shops are very similar. I would say Laguna beach has a few more things to see and do even. If you live in Poway or Rancho Bernardo, is that really much different than Ladera Ranch or Irvine?

If you don't live downtown SD or even visit downtown SD often, there really isn't a huge difference in many of these places. Traffic is worse in OC and many places are more money, but there are plenty of affordable places as well. Plus LA is closer and there are far more job opportunities in OC and even LA if you were willing, compared to SD.

SD is closer to TJ, but many people don't even go to TJ anymore, or they visit once every 5 years, so it's not even important. But to me, people in Del mar and La Jolla are very similar to those in Laguna Beach and Newport Beach. The boring suburbs of OC are no different than most of the boring suburbs of SD. People just don't like to call places like Encinitas or Carlsbad out near Walmart and Target or Jimbos suburbia.

Don't get me wrong as there are many differences between OC and SD, but when people who don't even live here and don't really know the area start claiming SD is the place for them and trashing OC as nothing but boring sleepy town and yet they want to live in places like Poway, it makes little sense.
While they can be pretty similar overall I definitely think there are enough differences that people could strongly prefer one over the other. To me OC has a slightly difference vibe and a larger percentage of people who kind of represent the negative SoCal stereotypes more so than SD. Also it doesn't feel like its own metro area as it's not, it's a suburban county while SD is a complete metro area with well defined core. That decentralized sprawly nature of OC can be a turn off to a lot of people.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
While they can be pretty similar overall I definitely think there are enough differences that people could strongly prefer one over the other. To me OC has a slightly difference vibe and a larger percentage of people who kind of represent the negative SoCal stereotypes more so than SD. Also it doesn't feel like its own metro area as it's not, it's a suburban county while SD is a complete metro area with well defined core. That decentralized sprawly nature of OC can be a turn off to a lot of people.
As much as OCers deny it OC is LA burbs.

Similar to how people up here who live in the South Bay try to act like they are not part of the mainstream Bay Area.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

Similar to how people up here who live in the South Bay try to act like they are not part of the mainstream Bay Area.
"We're not LA" says someone wearing a Los Angeles Angels baseball cap....

Old 01-06-2016, 04:32 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
they really aren't--2 different mindsets and 2 different lifestyles.....that's why the terms "Orange Curtain" and "great white flight" were initially coined and/or applicable. OC is much closer mentally to SD than it is LA and, both, OC and SD share a dislike for LA. I state that as someone who lived in OC for 17 years. Then again, I suppose it also matters whether you are talking North OC v. South OC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

Last edited by elchevere; 01-06-2016 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
they really aren't--2 different mindsets and 2 different lifestyles.....that's why the terms "Orange Curtain" and "great white flight" were initially coined and/or applicable. OC is much closer mentally to SD than it is LA and, both, OC and SD share a dislike for LA. I state that as someone who lived in OC for 17 years. Then again, I suppose it also matters whether you are talking North OC v. South OC.
So basically the same differences between most large cities and their respective suburbs?

Old 01-06-2016, 05:13 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
not really, at least not from most of my experiences...I didn't notice a "we're not NYC" when I grew up on Long Island nor a dislike for going into the city--actually, most looked forward to going into the city....Marin County was too close to SF for there to be noticeable distinctions--while some preferred living in Marin I never heard animosity towards SF like I have heard from OC and SD towards LA....when I visit Chicago I never hear Naperville, Oak Brook, or Deerfield suburbs claiming "we're not Chicago"--similar to NY scenario described above....in NY the animosity was more upstate that did not like downstate (NY Metro area--not just the city, i.e. rural v. urban)....closest one to OC and SD v. LA would be in Florida where you have Broward and Palm Beach Counties claiming they're not Miami--then again, I always say there is Miami and then there is the rest of Florida. Maybe it's a warm weather thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So basically the same differences between most large cities and their respective suburbs?

Last edited by elchevere; 01-06-2016 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
not really, at least not from most of my experiences...I didn't notice a "we're not NYC" when I grew up on Long Island nor a dislike for going into the city--actually, most looked forward to going into the city....Marin County was too close to SF for there to be noticeable distinctions--while some preferred living in Marin I never heard animosity towards SF like I have heard from OC and SD towards LA....when I visit Chicago I never hear Naperville, Oak Brook, or Deerfield suburbs claiming "we're not Chicago"--similar to NY scenario described above....in NY the animosity was more upstate that did not like downstate (NY Metro area--not just the city, i.e. rural v. urban)....closest one to OC and SD v. LA would be in Florida where you have Broward and Palm Beach Counties claiming they're not Miami--then again, I always say there is Miami and then there is the rest of Florida. Maybe it's a warm weather thing
What about the NY vs. Jersey thing that all of the late night talk show hosts bring up? There's also the East Bay and San Jose attitude towards SF. Wealthy Lake County vs. Chicago. A good friend of mine is from Baltimore and he hates DC. Ft. Lauderdale separates themselves from Miami. Minneapolis vs. St. Paul, Dallas vs. Ft. Worth. Not really a warm weather thing, after all.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Dana Point is one of my favorite OC cities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-t6YIJm0C0

Newport Beach is close to Irvine (Google):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQrmNN13NJ4
What about the videos of Downtown Disney and Irvine Spectrum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego