Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
LA itself is barely centralized, if at all. San Diego centralized? Maybe only you can believe that. The point is that SoCal - the thing -- is not centralized. Who cares? And anyway, you live in the sprawling East Bay region and you preach on centralization?
Not sure how I'm "preaching" about centralization when I didn't even use the word once in my post. Anyways, I was referring to how metro areas have well defined urban cores, which both SD and LA have and OC completely lacks. A lot of people care and its a common complaint about Orange County but there is nothing wrong with you liking the cookie cutter sprawl of OC.

Not that my location has anything to do with the topic at hand but I'd like to point out even the East Bay, while a suburban region, actually has a well defined urban core too. If you were to cut off the rest of the Bay Area it would resemble a stand alone metropolitan area with a well defined urban core, real downtown, and large rail transit system centered on that urban core. Compare this to Orange County which has NONE of this and doesn't resemble its own metropolitan area really at all. Is Downtown Disney your "urban core/downtown"? The Irvine Spectrum? lol
Quote:
Now let's see. For me, it is 1 hr to the West Side or 1 hour to downtown SD; now that's centralization (and both assume avoiding traffic). And yes, I have full train access to both places too.
I guess that's one of the benefits of living towards the suburban edge of a large metro area, good see OC has some redeeming qualities.

Quote:
I think with some posters here, the dislike of OC stems from the fact that OC has blondes (whether natural or bottle-assisted). OC is therefore too much of a throwback to old SoCal and this angers many posters.
After all, what other stereotypical SoCal behaviors (air headed, surfer talk, shallowness etc.) are not found in equal measure in San Diego County? Simple demographics anger some.
Well tell yourself whatever you want but that's not really the main reason. Not sure how you can be so blind to the decentralized, suburban sprawl that turn people off from OC, amongst other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I think some of the hatred towards OC stems from the fact you have some exceptionally wealthy areas and a noticeable number of people go out of their way to let you know how great they are (or, in many cases, how great they think they are....see posers and gold diggers at Fashion Island or in Corona del Mar). It's usually the wannabes who go out of their way to try and impress and some affluent areas of OC attract these annoying types.
I certainly think this is part of it and this is what I meant by OC having a larger share of people that exhibit those negative SoCal stereotypes compared to SD.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:10 PM

7,368 posts, read 6,414,163 times
Though this is representative of a few cities in OC, not all...Huntington Harbor, Cowan Heights, Villa Park, Laguna Beach, etc are well to do areas but don't come off snooty as portions of Newport Beach....and I do see much less CFM outfits by the women when I go out in SD and never been asked what car I drive or how much I make. (Though I never had a woman in OC question my sexual preference/orientation like in SD, which prompted me to ask the same of her). Both places have similarities and their differences....I do miss the following from OC: Equinox/Sports Club, So Coast Plaza, ESPN Zone, NHL Hockey, more professionals, proximity to LA and LAX, and Taco Mesa.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-06-2016 at 10:40 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 PM

9,520 posts, read 30,344,392 times
I'm in OC nearly every week. There is no material difference between OC and SD, especially south county OC and north county SD, they are almost identical in every way. North OC is like a giant Kearny Mesa and Long beach would be downtown SD. Irvine is a gigantic version of Carmel Valley. Laguna / Huntington is La Jolla / PB. Other than worse traffic it's the same thing, just SD feels smaller because there's no LA next door. I'm sure 40 years ago there was a big difference but as far as I can tell that ship sailed long ago.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-06-2016 at 11:02 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 10:56 PM

Long Beach isn't in Orange County.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Long Beach isn't in Orange County.
I know, but geographically, it's the closest downtown with a "downtown" to OC, I'm trying to make a metaphor over here. It's all a sprawl, that's the point.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I know, but geographically, it's the closest downtown with a "downtown" to OC, I'm trying to make a metaphor over here. It's all a sprawl, that's the point.
I think it kind of reiterates my point that OC is not its own metro. Also Downtown Long Beach doesn't have the same function for OC as a whole that Downtown San Diego does for San Diego County at all. It's not a focal point for OC overall.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Not witnessed the us vs them when I lived in the Bay Area--more of a Bay Area metro (other than some looking down on portions of East Bay, not sure I would call it hatred and seemingly all united in its dislike of SoCal like upstate NY (rural) v downstate (metro)
There is definitely a rivalry/animosity between SF and the East Bay and it goes both ways but I wouldn't say its as strong or the same thing as LA vs OC. Some of it is sports related (A's fans HATE Giants fans), city vs suburb (SF is a liberal cesspool to some), and attitude differences (SFcans are smug snobs).

Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think it kind of reiterates my point that OC is not its own metro. Also Downtown Long Beach doesn't have the same function for OC as a whole that Downtown San Diego does for San Diego County at all. It's not a focal point for OC overall.
Downtown SD is not the focal point for SD unless you are a tourist or are one of the 8k people that rent overpriced condos there for 2 years before they move somewhere else. I work there otherwise would never go there. There is no focal point for SD, I work with people who commute to downtown from Carlsbad every day!

Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Downtown SD is not the focal point for SD unless you are a tourist or are one of the 8k people that rent overpriced condos there for 2 years before they move somewhere else. I work there otherwise would never go there. There is no focal point for SD, I work with people who commute to downtown from Carlsbad every day!
It's certainly more so than Long Beach is to OC, which is not one at all. The county's cultural amenities/attractions, sports venues, transit system, etc..are all concentrated in downtown and the surrounding central core. I'm surprised you can't see the function that downtown and central core serve for the region versus what Orange County has, or doesn't in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego