Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 01:06 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Nope: alot of the high rises are in La Jolla village office area and Mission Valley. Get the facts straight
Nope. While there are some tall buildings in the La Jolla/Sorrento Valley and Mission Valley areas, most of the city of San Diego's tall buildings are in downtown.

Need proof? Here's the map of tall buildings in downtown San Diego: San Diego Skyscraper Map - SkyscraperPage.com

Now here's the map showing the tall buildings in downtown San Jose: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/maps/?cityID=123

I don't have anything against San Jose. I think it is a nice city and agree that its outlying areas are very similar to many parts of San Diego County. And, again, you'd have to be nuts to say that the number of tall buildings are what make a city. But, I do get a bit peeved when folks tell me to "get the facts straight" while ignoring the facts themselves

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-12-2016 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 05:14 PM

414 posts, read 508,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
The city of San Jose is world class due to being the capital of Silicon Valley
Relatively speaking, there are very few tech firms in downtown San Jose...

Quote:
diversity
You aren't going to win a diversity argument comparing CA cities. Most CA cities are diverse and differences are marginal.

Quote:
Well served airport with new dynamic terminal
San Diego's airport just opened an expansion to the already modern Terminal 2and there are plans to rebuild our Terminal 1. We have twice as many passengers and plenty more flights to choose from. No one cares that you have a flight to Beijing. San Jose was only selected due to limited routes controlled by the Chinese government.

Quote:
vibrant downtown
Arguably the worst downtown of a major West Coast city

Quote:
new Bart service to SJ
One hour to an actual downtown is not something to boast about. San Diego's downtown has 3/4 lines that serve the city and extend all the way to Mexico.

Quote:
It's just the city of San Jose is another notch above SD. It's just the fact.
This is not a fact. It's an uneducated opinion. Downtown San Jose is lame, as is the entire city. The excitement level is comparable to Jacksonville, FL. You clearly know nothing about San Diego so please go away.

Quote:
SD is about to lose a football team with only team left in a nice stadium.
Your local team is not even in San Jose, nor is it named after San Jose. Even your local team knows the city is too lame/unimportant to be represented.

San Jose flies under the radar, while San Diego is a hugely popular city. Silicon Valley may be important, but that doesn't make San Jose's downtown significant.

The only contest San Jose wins is "most innovative office parks in the country".

Old 01-12-2016, 05:21 PM

414 posts, read 508,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Nope. While there are some tall buildings in the La Jolla/Sorrento Valley and Mission Valley areas, most of the city of San Diego's tall buildings are in downtown.

Need proof? Here's the map of tall buildings in downtown San Diego: San Diego Skyscraper Map - SkyscraperPage.com

Now here's the map showing the tall buildings in downtown San Jose: San Jose Skyscraper Map - SkyscraperPage.com

I don't have anything against San Jose. I think it is a nice city and agree that its outlying areas are very similar to many parts of San Diego County. And, again, you'd have to be nuts to say that the number of tall buildings are what make a city. But, I do get a bit peeved when folks tell me to "get the facts straight" while ignoring the facts themselves
I'm pretty sure this person knows very little about San Diego and/or has never visited. The fact that they would argue La Jolla/University City has more tall buildings goes to show that they literally know nothing about downtown.

The totals are 14 in La Jolla/UTC to around 100 in downtown (above 35 meters). Not even a comparison

Old 01-12-2016, 06:49 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
Relatively speaking, there are very few tech firms in downtown San Jose...

You aren't going to win a diversity argument comparing CA cities. Most CA cities are diverse and differences are marginal.

San Diego's airport just opened an expansion to the already modern Terminal 2and there are plans to rebuild our Terminal 1. We have twice as many passengers and plenty more flights to choose from. No one cares that you have a flight to Beijing. San Jose was only selected due to limited routes controlled by the Chinese government.

Arguably the worst downtown of a major West Coast city

One hour to an actual downtown is not something to boast about. San Diego's downtown has 3/4 lines that serve the city and extend all the way to Mexico.

This is not a fact. It's an uneducated opinion. Downtown San Jose is lame, as is the entire city. The excitement level is comparable to Jacksonville, FL. You clearly know nothing about San Diego so please go away.

Your local team is not even in San Jose, nor is it named after San Jose. Even your local team knows the city is too lame/unimportant to be represented.

San Jose flies under the radar, while San Diego is a hugely popular city. Silicon Valley may be important, but that doesn't make San Jose's downtown significant.

The only contest San Jose wins is "most innovative office parks in the country".
Fresno is the worst downtown and Sacramento is the second worst. Both downtowns(SD and SJ) are mediocre. You never been to Dt. SJ and is a myth that is not vibrant. Get over it!

Old 01-12-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
I'm pretty sure this person knows very little about San Diego and/or has never visited. The fact that they would argue La Jolla/University City has more tall buildings goes to show that they literally know nothing about downtown.

The totals are 14 in La Jolla/UTC to around 100 in downtown (above 35 meters). Not even a comparison
What's up, shorty? They're both short and stubby! SJ and SD Can't even take candle to Portland and Denver

Old 01-12-2016, 06:53 PM

San Jose and San Diego are similar and that's it. It ain't like L.A., period! Enjoy the nice article on Wall Street.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:58 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
^^ and thread closed.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:47 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ and thread closed.
ER needs to close it permanently.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:02 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
ER needs to close it permanently.
Hehe, I know, I just wanted to play pretend moderator for a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego