Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 2,456 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get any help from you guys, but I'd love to get at least a response or two.

First of all, I'm a student in Lithuania (the Baltics) and I'll be coming to the United States for the summer with the Work and Travel USA program on a J-1 visa basis. As it is both work and travel, my number one choice was obviously California.

Although I turn just 21 right before Independence Day (which is a problem getting a bartender position in June), I've had vast experience in a number of different fields (Sports Journalist & Social Media Manager - 5 years, Business Development - 1/2 year, Bartender/Server - 1/2 year), I find it extremely tough to get any sort of job.

I've looked at and sent resumes to positions including Bartender, Server, Busser, Camp Counselor and pretty much everything around those topics, but I haven't had a single about position availability reply (only from TGI Fridays, who redirected me to their HR).

One of the main reasons (besides making some money, of course) I decided to come to America was to get to know the people, that's why I really wouldn't fancy working as a dishwasher or in a moving company. I'm a well-traveled and very communicative person and I guess it might be interesting for the Americans to get a bit of a different view from a guy coming from an ex-soviet nation too.

First of all, am I making a mistake setting my eye only on California (or San Diego), perhaps in the Central states foreigners such as me are less common and therefore less frowned upon? I really don't have any commitments anywhere in the country, so there's no real reason to lock in on Cali, I guess. But for some reason, I just want to go there.

I'm not exactly sure, maybe I'm just doing something wrong, as I'm not completely sure how hiring is done in USA... Any tips on either a potential position (Bartender/Server/.../...) that would allow me to get to talk to the people, or a different approach to getting hired would be very welcome, as my confidence in getting a job is at all-time lows. I'm mostly looking for inspiration to continue my search for a job, but if by chance anyone's looking for a diligent worker, I'm all ears too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 07:17 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
You'll have better luck if you apply to SeaWorld and the Zoo. Those places are more likely to hire you than a restaurant.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:33 PM

I was considering applying there too, but the problem is, the pay is not really what I'd hope for. Not to seem greedy or anything, as it would still be a great improvement over Lithuania, where bartenders usually earn about 3-4 USD per hour including tips, it's just that it costs quite a lot to get over the pond (tickets + visa + the Work and Travel program fee amount to over 1500 dollars) in the first place and I'd love to travel for a month or so too!

Old 01-14-2016, 07:51 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Are you already working with one of the State Department's designated sponsors for the summer work program? If not, that needs to be your first step. They help place foreign students in approved positions. You can find a list of designated sponsors here: Designated Sponsor List | Participants | J-1 Visa

While it may be possible to find an employer willing to sponsor you on your own, it's going to be much more difficult.
First, most employers are looking to hire permanent employees, not employees who will only be sticking around for two or three months. And, many employers don't want to have to jump through the extra hoops to "sponsor" a J-1 Visa applicant who is only here for the summer UNLESS the applicant has something to offer that isn't easily found elsewhere. That's likely part of the reason for the trouble you're having.

If you're hoping to land a job as a waiter or bartender on your own under J-1, it's going to be particularly tough. San Diego is LOADED with people looking for jobs as waiters/bartenders; we're a college town with plenty of American 20-somethings looking for such work, and lots of U.S. citizens move here thinking that those types of jobs will be an easy way to support themselves while they hang out on the beach. However, some of the sponsoring organizations have "training" programs in the hospitality industry that qualify for the J-1 summer work program. So if your goal is to find a job as a waiter or bartender, that would be the way to go (although they may not place you in San Diego). See, for example: American Hospitality Academy | Hospitality Programs, Internships,etc

If you want to try to line something up here on your own, my advice is to focus on the social media side of your experience. You might be able to line up an "internship" in social media with an organization that would be willing to sponsor you. Make a list of companies in San Diego who might have the need for temporary help with a social media project. Use Monster.com, Indeed.com, and Craigslist to see who has hired temp. social media workers in the past six months. Be sure to target your resume accordingly, and prepare an online portfolio showing the types of work you've done. Make sure to stress that you are fluent in English (as that might be a concern when an employer hears you are from Lithuania). You'll want to write a cover letter explaining you are looking for a summer internship under the J-1 program. You might also want to try contacting the SD Ad Club (https://sandiegox.org/) or at least look through their website. Try googling "San Diego social media agencies" too.

But, really, first I think you you need to be in touch with the approved sponsoring organizations who help place people in jobs for the J-1 summer work program first. That will be your best bet in terms of finding a position that will qualify for the J-1 Visa.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-14-2016 at 08:03 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 07:53 PM

Places like SeaWorld and the Zoo hire foreign students for the summer. Another place that you can try is Seaport Village. It's on the water, has lots of little shops, and place to eat. But again, you're just going to be making minimum wage.

I highly doubt if a restaurant won't hire you just for the summer, because there are local college students that can work long term, not just for the summer. I used to work for a company that had students working for them from Ireland one summer, and Russia the next summer. If you want to work here for the summer, you're not going to have a choice of how much money you'll make, because it's more than likely to be minimum wage, or just above.

Keep in mind that you're not the only foreign student that wants to spend their summer working in San Diego, and they're not going to be picky about how much money they'll be making, they'll just be happy to have a job and work.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You'll have better luck if you apply to SeaWorld and the Zoo. Those places are more likely to hire you than a restaurant.
Just checked. Sea World does sponsor some J-1 applicants at all of their parks. See: https://careers.seaworldparks.com/Sc...s/Default.aspx

I am pretty sure that Disney World and Disneyland also do (not in San Diego, but....) The San Diego Zoo may as well.

You may already be doing this, but as a first step, if you're looking on your own, maybe go to the company's website and do a search for J-1 Visa to see if they have a program in place already. That will make your life easier than just shooting out resumes or filling out applications.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Does Sea World or the Zoo sponsor J-1 Visa applicants?
I don't know about the Zoo, but Sea World has had foreign students working for the summer. From what one student told me, they didn't have to be sponsored, they just needed a job offer. And since Sea World hires lots of seasonal employees, they were offered seasonal jobs, and were happy to have them.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I don't know about the Zoo, but Sea World has had foreign students working for the summer. From what one student told me, they didn't have to be sponsored, they just needed a job offer. And since Sea World hires lots of seasonal employees, they were offered seasonal jobs, and were happy to have them.
Yep, I edited my post as you posted yours.

To the OP, it sounds like you are already aware of the costs you'll face for the program, but also keep in mind that San Diego can be an expensive place to live. Even if you're here for just a few months, expect to pay $800 or so for a room-share in an apartment. Plus, you'll have transportation costs, food, etc. Whatever you do, don't take out a loan to do this. Make sure you'll be able to earn enough to pay for the costs. Any travel you might do will be a bonus after you pay for your living expenses. But, it sounds like you already know that!

Hope it all works out for you!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:21 PM

The students that I met were sharing an apartment with 3-4 other people. They saved as much as possible, and when they quit their jobs, they were going to NYC, DC and somewhere else before going back to school.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 PM

Thank you RosieSD and moved for the answers! I'll try out a bit of a different approach this time, I guess.

And yep, I'm fully aware of the costs, as scary as they might be. Taking a loan has never crossed my mind and it surely doesn't seem to be a smart thing to do! I'll probably give San Diego a go for another week or so, as I'd really love to work there, but if it fails I guess I'll have to try some other options.

This will be the first time I ever visit USA and perhaps the only, so I want to make the most out of it, that's why not traveling is not really an option for me!

Once again guys, thanks for all the tips and if you have anything else I might need to know, I'll be happy to hear it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego