Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
http://web.utk.edu/~edegeorg/TECH521.../Migration.pdf

There are homeless that find a way to Hawaii to be deliberately homeless there. But Hawaii is a very unique homeless venue. First off, most of Hawaii's homeless are from Hawaii, not the mainland. Second, many persons go to Hawaii with a dream to prosper but have insufficent resources to last - and they become homeless after failing to secure employment capable of paying the nation's highest rates for places to live, highest food costs, highest gasoline costs. Etc. then they are broke and can't get back to the mainland. Californians who complain about the COL in California would be surprised. Hawaii also has conflicting homeless counts ranging from about 4,500 to 17,000. The ticket home program is very limited. It has flown home a few hundred persons. A few hundred out of even low estimates of population, um, isn't making a dent. By the way, Baton Rouge, NYC, San Francisco, and a few other cities have also had fly them home programs.

Homeless people are a cross-section of types, including troubled. There are many who are not. The very visible ones you / we all see as obviously homeless create the stereotype. But it's simply not the case they represent the homeless in total. Not even close. Nearly half the homeless, for example, are employed. Regularly working. Living various ways, mostly in their cars.

As for "an endless stream would come to San Diego" - you know, simple rational analysis would reveal that homelessness is not a new problem. The endless stream has been "streaming" for decades and decades and more decades. Yet, homelessness is still rampant in every city, including ones with inhospitible weather cycles such as Boston, Washington, D.C. (nation's highest rate of homelessness), NYC (nation's largest homeless population), Philly, Florida cities with their stiflingly brutal humidity and half the year brutally hot temps, Chicago (21,000 homeless on the streets there in one of our nation's worst cities for winter weather and not a bit pleasant in summer either), Boise, Seattle, Portland, and on and on. Why haven't those populations ALL migrated to San Diego? Hint: read the link above.

You can look this stuff up you know, before spewing a lot of uninformed vitriol.

As for "simply lacking a home" being a silly definition - it's really not silly at all. Lots of the same kinds of troubled people you see on the streets also exist in homes where there are family, sometimes old friends, who shelter them in spite of alcohol and drug use, schizophrenia and many other debilitating mental illnesses. There are certainly many many thousands of thieves, rapists, and murderers also living in homes. To say nothing of successful members of society who have mental illnesses (Donald Trump as a filthy rich example of a very troubled person who isn't homeless) and / or live by various immoral and criminal behaviors. Some do what they do in homes behind walls. Some do it in puiblic because they have no walls to hide behind. Those behaviors we all hate to step around and over exist everywhere, includng in homes.
What a ridiculous citation. Not only is the writer an advocate for government assistance with no apparent relevant credentials, this article seems to have been published in a religious journal on religious outreach and assistance to the homeless. Moreover, the article itself seems to make my very point albeit subtly when it says with regard to sunbelt cities:

Though there is some anecdotal corroboration of the perception that the homeless population
travels south for the winter, and no doubt there are some sunbelt cities whose
resources are particularly stretched because of their attractive regional climate
s, the most
significant of migration patterns that have been identified and studied in relation to the
homeless population are not governed by the sun.

Hmm, like perhaps San Diego's attractive regional climate?

As for Hawaii, everything you've written (dreams of prosperity, etc.) could be equally applied to San Diego, including the stranded part. The difference being only cost and time to leave San Diego as opposed to Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I guess my realizations have come into light, check this article out in the UT today. I didn't think that SRO hotels are having a major impact on our homeless crisis. Redevelopment for the wealthy in downtown has really caused serious housing displacement for not only the already homeless, but the poor and disabled. Nobody cares unfortunately.

Disappearing bargain-rate hotels worsening homeless problem | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

Oh yes, I was around in the 80's, when the first wave of SROs were cleared out to make room for redevelopment...this was when Horton Plaza...was just a plaza, no shopping center.

I could usually find my clients in one of the SROs...they didn't move around much, & I would say that 70% had at least minimal housekeeping standards.

If I was in that profession now, I wouldn't know where to find them. Well, at my spouse's company there was a guy who worked an unskilled, minimum wage job...his address was a hedge on Kearny Mesa Rd., by the 163.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:49 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
And the so-called homeless do migrate for whatever they are seeking, contrary to your contention. Consider that homeless people have flocked to Colorado since pot was legalized. Source: Legal marijuana drawing homeless to Colorado - CBS News

Old 02-06-2016, 07:41 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Do you have stats to support your contention that weather does not impact where the homeless go (California, Florida, and Hawaii, etc.)? Why does Hawaii have an epidemic of homelessness if the homeless are not mobile? Hawaii tries to get them to go back to the mainland by buying them a ticket back to the lower 50.

This notion that a homeless person is one who simply lacks a home is silly. Homeless people are mostly very troubled persons. Housing alone is no where near enough. Moreover, if housing were provided to such persons, an endless stream will come to a place as nice as San Diego.

Why don't bleeding hearts pool their money and buy vast parcels of land in say, Surprise, AZ, build housing there and then provide it for free to those without a home in San Diego? It would be much cheaper to do so. Oh wait, that won't work since actual taxpayers are supposed to pay for bums and those bums want to live near the ocean, not in Surprise.
Yeah Mutt could offer them room on his boat, setting a good example for everyone.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
What a ridiculous citation. Not only is the writer an advocate for government assistance with no apparent relevant credentials, this article seems to have been published in a religious journal on religious outreach and assistance to the homeless. Moreover, the article itself seems to make my very point albeit subtly when it says with regard to sunbelt cities:

Though there is some anecdotal corroboration of the perception that the homeless population
travels south for the winter, and no doubt there are some sunbelt cities whose
resources are particularly stretched because of their attractive regional climate
s, the most
significant of migration patterns that have been identified and studied in relation to the
homeless population are not governed by the sun.

Hmm, like perhaps San Diego's attractive regional climate?

As for Hawaii, everything you've written (dreams of prosperity, etc.) could be equally applied to San Diego, including the stranded part. The difference being only cost and time to leave San Diego as opposed to Hawaii.
So. Not much for reading reference bibliographies at the ends of articles are you? Who cares what publication printed the author's article? The author is the publications manager for the Social Work Office of Research and Public Service for the University of Tennessee. A university social work research department isn't credible sourcing for you? And you didn't note that her stats come from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Office of Community Planning and Development in an annual "homelessness assessment" report to Congress?

And you think that
Quote:
there is some anecdotal corroboration of the perception that the homeless population travels south for the winter,
makes your point? Do you know the difference between "anecdotal" and statistical studies? Do you know the diffeence between "perception" and statistical confirmation? Like in the report to Congress?

In any case, of course some homeless migrate to better climates. I never said otherwise. I said, in the main, homeless populations don't migrate - obviously - to weather. If they did, there wouldn't be 21,000 homeless on the winter streets of Chicago, would there? You know Boston is in the top ten cities for homelessness in the U.S.? Why haven't they migrated to San Diego?

Read the statistics in the report linked. It's not the only place you can find this information. It's not hard. Look it up yourself if you are actually interested in understanding the problem as opposed to simply wanting to vent.

Yes, what is true about people failing to thrive on their dreams also happens in California. But not nearly at the rate or with the consequences of entrapment as in Hawaii.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yeah Mutt could offer them room on his boat, setting a good example for everyone.
In what way does that relate to anythng I've reported here? I've suggested somewhere in this thread that people should accept or take in the homeless? Quote for me please.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:41 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
Quote:
Do you have stats to support your contention that weather does not impact where the homeless go (California, Florida, and Hawaii, etc.)? Why does Hawaii have an epidemic of homelessness if the homeless are not mobile? Hawaii tries to get them to go back to the mainland by buying them a ticket back to the lower 50.

This notion that a homeless person is one who simply lacks a home is silly. Homeless people are mostly very troubled persons. Housing alone is no where near enough. Moreover, if housing were provided to such persons, an endless stream will come to a place as nice as San Diego.

Why don't bleeding hearts pool their money and buy vast parcels of land in say, Surprise, AZ, build housing there and then provide it for free to those without a home in San Diego? It would be much cheaper to do so. Oh wait, that won't work since actual taxpayers are supposed to pay for bums and those bums want to live near the ocean, not in Surprise.
Here is the article the libs are so proud of touting how great SLC idea is...................read it down to where it costs over 40k per year per homeless in SLC.............

The Shockingly Simple, Surprisingly Cost-Effective Way to End Homelessness | Mother Jones

Why should you or I pay over 40k for some loser from Ohio/KY/small backwater town pick one that thought he would be the next actor/social justice warrior in CA and is now on the streets and refuses to leave.

People are responsible for themselves

Old 02-06-2016, 09:25 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
40K a year. I'd like to see that itemized. I'm going to guess it's going to be like the 500 dollar Govt monkey wrench?

Old 02-06-2016, 09:53 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
The greedy U-T wants $$ to read their article about the disappearing SROs.

I don't know which SROs are disappearing, because a lot of them are still around, and are historical buildings, which are mostly run by Hughes Management, and the shell of the old Workman Hotel in the EV which burned down is still standing. Eventually, someone will buy the lot and build on it.

I lived in an SRO when I first moved to San Diego in 2002. It was locally owned, prospective tenants were screened, it was cleaned every day, and it was a decent place to live. But it was an investment property, and it was sold to an investor from Palm Desert who planned to build condos on the land. But he got a surprise when the City Historical Committee came out, declared it a historical building, and he was unable to tear it down.

Last edited by moved; 02-06-2016 at 10:02 PM..

Old 02-06-2016, 10:12 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
40K a year. I'd like to see that itemized. I'm going to guess it's going to be like the 500 dollar Govt monkey wrench?
The people are so mentally ill and strung out on street drugs because they are hardcore addicts and junkies

you have to hire supervisor, social workers, and other staff to micromanage these people because they are so

low functioning and dysfunctional. You have to hire armed security to patrol these places

and all of that staff has healthcare, benefits, vacation.............which all cost........$$$

I am happy to hear rumblings that LA is going to fight the ACLU lawsuit that allowed these bums to live on our lawns for some time now. There has been enough complaints along with dollar sign costs that people are now taking notice.

ACLU again accuses Laguna Beach of targeting the homeless - LA Times

https://aclufl.org/2015/10/01/aclu-f...s-in-sarasota/

Illegal to be Homeless

You can't have tourists like that Russian family attacked by a psycho with knife and NYC cops had to intervene on vacation

Stop and think on that........people with money are being run off by bums that cost nothing but money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego