Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:27 PM

371 posts, read 378,576 times

Advertisements

I read a lot of old threads, reports and watched some videos on youtube with the Oceanside Gangbuster, but these are old reports and videos. How is the gang activity in North County? I read that Oceanside, Vista and Escondido have pockets of areas that are Latin related gangs and people who moved from LA.

Here in Fort Lauderdale gangs declined, but we had our fair share of them, Latin Kings is probably the largest, I never had a run in with any or been harassed. Along with some Haitian gangs, that still frequent the news much of which are kids.

So is this old news or still an issue? Seediest area I drove into was Oceanside, but to me it wasn't so bad compared to what I have seen around here or in the bad parts of Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
East O'Side has Black, Somoan, and Mexican gangs, and parts of Esco still have gangs. But none of the gangs in CA are as big as they once were during the 90's. Gang injunctions in all throughout SD County has really helped reduce their presence on the streets.

Even so none of the gangs up there are as well known or as big as the gangs in SouthEast SD. Parts of South San Diego look pretty messed up. I know years ago I remember visiting one of my friends in Shelltown, and I got lost. Well I went down this one street and next to it there was beat up looking apartment complex that literally had 20 Vato's standing outside drinking on the steps watching me drive by. I swore I thought they were going to run up on me and try jack my car or start shooting, I was that scared. It was a dead end so I had to turn around and go back the the other way which made me even more nervous since they saw me the first time.

That whole area was bad and gang infested 10 years ago, not sure how it is today.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:27 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I live in Shelltown, and don't have any problems. It's very quiet here at night compared to when I lived in City Heights. The only problems that I've had, and still do, are the kids in the complex, who are unsupervised and disrespectful, because their parents could care less what they do.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I live in Shelltown, and don't have any problems. It's very quiet here at night compared to when I lived in City Heights. The only problems that I've had, and still do, are the kids in the complex, who are unsupervised and disrespectful, because their parents could care less what they do.
Maybe not as much anymore, but the area is still pretty ghetto.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Maybe not as much anymore, but the area is still pretty ghetto.
I don't consider it ghetto, it's just an older area. When was the last time you were in Shelltown? When I work at night, I come home on the 1 am or 2 am bus, and have never had a problem at all.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:51 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
I have cousins that live in that area and have for a long time, it's pretty quiet back in those neighborhoods. A lot quieter than central SD, the difference, 10 people don't live in one house, it's pretty much one family in one house.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:09 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Northwest Vista has always had gang issues, same with with parts of O'side, Escondido, San Marcos.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:09 AM

414 posts, read 508,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I don't consider it ghetto, it's just an older area. When was the last time you were in Shelltown? When I work at night, I come home on the 1 am or 2 am bus, and have never had a problem at all.
It's a small neighborhood with limited non-residential properties. This keeps away crime because there are limited places to congregate and no stores to rob. Most would describe it as "ghetto", but I think that term is often used to include neighborhoods w/ older housing stock and less maintenance.

Not that you don't already know this

Old 02-16-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
It's a small neighborhood with limited non-residential properties. This keeps away crime because there are limited places to congregate and no stores to rob. Most would describe it as "ghetto", but I think that term is often used to include neighborhoods w/ older housing stock and less maintenance.

Not that you don't already know this
Actually, there are a lot of residential properties, but they're not right off Main Street. There are a lot of older houses, but they're a few blocks away from me. My street is 1/2 commercial and 1/2 residential. I live in the only apartment complex on the street, everyone else has a house.

I'm looking for another place to live, and it won't be in Shelltown, because I'm looking for another detached cottage, and I'm not limiting myself to one area.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:16 PM

371 posts, read 378,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
East O'Side has Black, Somoan, and Mexican gangs, and parts of Esco still have gangs. But none of the gangs in CA are as big as they once were during the 90's. Gang injunctions in all throughout SD County has really helped reduce their presence on the streets.

Even so none of the gangs up there are as well known or as big as the gangs in SouthEast SD. Parts of South San Diego look pretty messed up. I know years ago I remember visiting one of my friends in Shelltown, and I got lost. Well I went down this one street and next to it there was beat up looking apartment complex that literally had 20 Vato's standing outside drinking on the steps watching me drive by. I swore I thought they were going to run up on me and try jack my car or start shooting, I was that scared. It was a dead end so I had to turn around and go back the the other way which made me even more nervous since they saw me the first time.

That whole area was bad and gang infested 10 years ago, not sure how it is today.
Thanks, I was just trying to find out if there was a map of trouble areas to avoid for rentals. I read a page from San Diego County but it just shows general areas and the gangs who are there or were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego