Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 06:52 AM

919 posts, read 789,509 times

Advertisements

The new Gelson's opened the other day. We stopped in yesterday and it was packed. Lots of free samples, and friendly staff. They have a seating area, big salad and hot food, soup bar. Huge deli section.

They sent out mailers over the past couple weeks, and had some good sales this week. They do have higher than usual supermarket prices, but also carry lots of things not available elsewhere and have a nice style with all new layout and even the shopping carts are all brand new - black, with the Gelson's name on the handle.

In short, they did all the things right that Haggen failed at.

As we got ready to check out I noticed the checkers were the ladies from the old Albertsons! I said "nice to see you here" and she smiled a big smile and said "It feels like being home again. They took us back with our seniority and pay, we're so happy."

I felt so good, and though I do watch prices I'm going to support the store for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 05:55 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,532 times
^ Just went there today for my first time.

OVERPRICED. Low quality food similar to a Stater Bros minus a few exceptions. Deli options not the least bit appealing....includes sushi and ready made salads.

I think people will agree with me if they go for a visit.

Ralph's and Vons in Encinitas provide a much better experience....Hand's Down.

Do you work for Gelson's ? I can't imagine anyone being excited about this place....MINUS the free samples.

By all means people have a look but if GELSON'S will become a trend in SD then it is somewhere I will avoid for sure.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:15 PM

919 posts, read 789,509 times
It is very high priced for some things. But we did pick up a bunch of Chobani yogurt for 88 cents each. Also, they had good everyday prices on Italian tomatoes I grabbed a couple of the Carmelina brand I like.

We live right near them and drive right by. So it would be worth it to us to stop for some things. Our main shopping will probably continue at Vons and Sprouts up at Rancho Santa Fe rd.

And no, I don't work for them. But I do feel good for the ladies that got their jobs back. That counts with me for something. So does the new look.

I don't know if this style of store will work here, lord knows we've got so many Ralphs and Vons already. Theres a Jimbos right down ECR from here that is way too expensive for me but is still in business, so who knows? If all you care about is price there is always WalMart.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:57 AM

31 posts, read 37,653 times
Pretty expensive but then again so is Whole Foods...I am super excited for Gelsons I don't do all my shopping there but for occasional items.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:07 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,532 times
We have a Gelsons near me and it's across the street from Whole Foods. I honestly don't see how they will make it here as going to WHole Foods isn't really about food shopping anymore. It's more a "experience" and for that area, it works. Gelson's is nice, a lot of open space and very bright, some different items I haven't noticed before at other places, but they are a bit pricey. And again, when you are across the street from Whole Foods, why would most people shop there instead of WF if the prices are similar? Plus for whatever reason that plaza is kind of empty and forgotten as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego