Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:13 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

How do we know the Del did not aggressively solicit Chinese buyers?...I know that Bosa has aggressively marketed its new high end Pacific Gate condo project to the Chinese market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 04:09 PM

414 posts, read 508,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Sounds like the US as conspicuous consumption is what we have here.
No where near the same level as in China. It's also significantly more conspicuous because Americans place a lot of value (and money)in their homes. US homes (and cars) are the most notable form of self-expression and conspicuous consumption amongst Americans. We are able to afford large homes with land, unlike most Chinese, regardless of income.

Culturally speaking, you typically do not hang out at home and have people over. There simply isn't enough room in most Chinese homes to have people or buy nice furniture,tvs, pools.. Conspicuous consumption is geared towards clothing, technology, etc. because Chinese don't buy BBQs or pools. Their consumption (and form of self expression) is therefore very external. You see it everyone. It's a part of their daily wardrobe.

Whereas Americans' pride in their homes is more internal and private. Strangers do not see it.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Starwood was sold to Marriott.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
No where near the same level as in China. It's also significantly more conspicuous because Americans place a lot of value (and money)in their homes. US homes (and cars) are the most notable form of self-expression and conspicuous consumption amongst Americans. We are able to afford large homes with land, unlike most Chinese, regardless of income.

Culturally speaking, you typically do not hang out at home and have people over. There simply isn't enough room in most Chinese homes to have people or buy nice furniture,tvs, pools.. Conspicuous consumption is geared towards clothing, technology, etc. because Chinese don't buy BBQs or pools. Their consumption (and form of self expression) is therefore very external. You see it everyone. It's a part of their daily wardrobe.

Whereas Americans' pride in their homes is more internal and private. Strangers do not see it.
People in the US buy everything under the Sun. Housing is just one example. The electronics industry is huge here because everyone has multiple devices, then clothes the list of brands is endless and just watch commercials. Even pharmaceutical companies know the US is that way as they advertise everything under the Sun to .... consumers in the US. What do the Chinese consume in any conspicuous way that is not done in the US. Oh, and in the US so much sold here is made in .......... China. I should also note that some people in the US have ride in their homes, not all. Many rent and do minimal if anything to keep it up.

Leave homes out of the equation and the US buys far more stuff per person, you know like brand name Jeans, Shoes, Shirts, Pants, Suits and more all of which are ... made in China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc. Check the labels. No better quality just a "name" that people want seen.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:59 AM

414 posts, read 508,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
People in the US buy everything under the Sun. Housing is just one example. The electronics industry is huge here because everyone has multiple devices, then clothes the list of brands is endless and just watch commercials. Even pharmaceutical companies know the US is that way as they advertise everything under the Sun to .... consumers in the US. What do the Chinese consume in any conspicuous way that is not done in the US. Oh, and in the US so much sold here is made in .......... China. I should also note that some people in the US have ride in their homes, not all. Many rent and do minimal if anything to keep it up.

Leave homes out of the equation and the US buys far more stuff per person, you know like brand name Jeans, Shoes, Shirts, Pants, Suits and more all of which are ... made in China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc. Check the labels. No better quality just a "name" that people want seen.
Have you lived in China? From what experience or facts are you drawing from?

I am not claiming that the US isn't a heavy consumer society. Consumerism reigns supreme here.

I am claiming that conspicuous consumption is rife in China. Everything is about image, from the individual to the government. Chinese represent "new money" and they like to show it. It's a symbol of success. In a country of 1.3 billion people, it's the only thing that makes you different.

Many Americans actually look down on others' overtly grand displays of wealth (conspicuous consumerism). Chinese envy it.

I'm not convinced that you are objectively make this comparison.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:51 PM

162 posts, read 212,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
Have you lived in China? From what experience or facts are you drawing from?

I am not claiming that the US isn't a heavy consumer society. Consumerism reigns supreme here.

I am claiming that conspicuous consumption is rife in China. Everything is about image, from the individual to the government. Chinese represent "new money" and they like to show it. It's a symbol of success. In a country of 1.3 billion people, it's the only thing that makes you different.

Many Americans actually look down on others' overtly grand displays of wealth (conspicuous consumerism). Chinese envy it.

I'm not convinced that you are objectively make this comparison.

I disagree, I think most Americans do in fact envy overtly grand displays of wealth. It is not always a bad thing though- just my opinion. For what its worth according to coworkers from Africa the Chinese are also buying up everything there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego