Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 03:51 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,004,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
It does depend on what you drive, where you drive and how your drive.

Add in the incidentals over time (maintenance, oil changes) and parking (if you have to). Less risk too or shift risk to someone else as 30-40% motorists are uninsured
Regardless, it costs $15 to get from North Park to the Airport via Uber or Lyft. I think it's more than reasonable to expect the cost to get from Oceanside or Escondido (throwing those out since OP said "North County") to Fashion Valley to be prohibitive, even taking into account the cost of driving above and beyond the cost of Gas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 03:56 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,390,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertad06 View Post
Maybe take the coaster down and uber home?
I specifically moved close to a Coaster Station anticipating that I would use it often. I have been here one year and have not used it ONCE.

Why ?

There is no parking available at the Encinitas Station unless you get there at 4am. Not to mention if there were any available my truck wouldn't fit. Then I would need to be back by 9;30pm to catch the last bus....way too much of a hassle.

Then I have found out by experience that the SD Trolley runs pretty well but buses are a HUGE issue. If I need to take a bus after the trolley I refuse to go anywhere. The hassle isn't worth it to me.

Then there is timing. Between 9am and 3pm then again after 7pm are when to travel on i5.

I guess I am not interested enough in the event to go through the hassle. That leaves me with limited choices but a clearer head.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:11 PM

3,385 posts, read 2,774,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Regardless, it costs $15 to get from North Park to the Airport via Uber or Lyft. I think it's more than reasonable to expect the cost to get from Oceanside or Escondido (throwing those out since OP said "North County") to Fashion Valley to be prohibitive, even taking into account the cost of driving above and beyond the cost of Gas
North Park to Little Italy was 8 bucks for me.
City Heights to Encinitas 22 bucks.

Actually I just spent 9.40 on a lyft from the airport to a place right outside of SDSU this past Monday

I guess for some folks it's worth it others not so much I would spend an extra 20-30 bucks round trip not to fight for parking and not have to worry about having an extra drink or two

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 03-16-2016 at 04:22 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I am not sure of the exact context, but public transportation is not always an option especially with how spread out the County is.
An Uber or Lyft is private drivers. That can pick you up from your doorstep in minutes and drop you off at the next doorstep of your choice.

Nothing public transit about it

Old 03-16-2016, 06:45 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,433,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
An Uber or Lyft is private drivers. That can pick you up from your doorstep in minutes and drop you off at the next doorstep of your choice.

Nothing public transit about it
Its still for the public and its still not feasible when one needs to travel from one part of the County to another as the OP due to the cost. I do see it as handy form of transportation for folks in the urban core.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Its still for the public and its still not feasible when one needs to travel from one part of the County to another as the OP due to the cost. I do see it as handy form of transportation for folks in the urban core.
UBer and Lyft are exactly what our buses, trolleys and coaster aren't fast, reliable and convenient. I can spend 10 bucks for two trolley passes, I have to leave my car in a poorly lit parking lot and get dropped off at a random spot where i may have a hike just to get where I need to go.

I've done Uber all over north and east county.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:14 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,390,588 times
I just checked Uber. It costs between $24 -33 one way to go from Encinitas to Fashion Valley using Uber X. The movie I was going to see maybe costs $10. There it is.

Tomorrow I have an appointment in Oceanside. Uberx costs $15 -22 from Encinitas. Maybe a little cheaper than taking a taxi but hardly a deal.

I don't see the appeal unless you need to get to the airport for a few dollars cheaper or you absolutely need to get hammered at a party that you can't miss. Otherwise the savings are rather minor IMO.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:35 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,361,645 times
Never. My friends are all over the county, if we meetup it's in some central location or on a hike, etc. Even my kids, have friends all over the county. That is just life in SD, you get in your car and drive.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:03 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
I'm either dragging my boat to the harbor or my travel trailer to the Mts or desert. Driving is just part of living here. When I was going to school I worked a few hours at the beach, drove to school at SDSU then drove to a full time job after that.

On the weekends we just rode our bikes to the bars in PB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego