Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 10,127 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We will be moving to San Diego this summer and my husband will be working in Coronado. Obviously buying a house there is not an option but I wondered if anyone had any ideas of other areas we can look. We are looking to spend $400k max and if possible would like a single family home. I know, I know....we are dreaming!!

Does anyone have any suggestions of areas to look at? We have one child so we would like to move somewhere with decent schools even though she's a few years away from that.....

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM

181 posts, read 889,778 times
you could try oceanside... Dont know about the schools though, and the commute would be 1 hour +. Santee might be an option....some older areas of east county like el cajon maybe.....you just have to get on some real estate sites and start looking..or maybe on craigslist. Prices are lowering. But honestly if you do find a home for around 350....and there probably are a few in san diego area...it will most likely need a lot of work, and maybe the area wont be exactly what you want. The poway school district is suppose to be pretty good. You could try looking for homes in that general area...My question is why are you so intent on buying a home right away. I would suggest renting.... to start off at least. You could pretty much live in any area you wanted. And you would have time to shop around and find out which area you want to eventually buy in. Because at the price you are looking at your options are going to be limited for a SFR. OK thats my opinion, but good luck!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:16 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,357,165 times
If you want good schools, you will be looking mostly at 1BR condos, which doesn't make much sense for a family with kids.

Personally I would just rent.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:54 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,130,461 times
If you prefer a new house, and you don't mind hearing Spanish more often than English in your neighborhood, you can get something like this

Zillow - 1333 Fieldbrook St, Chula Vista, CA 91913

(Just went into escrow last week, last listed price $365,500)

Old 02-12-2008, 04:20 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,392,815 times
You can buy a home in Poway for under 400k. Keep in mind that the houses are older, smaller....but the area is nice and the schools are some of the best in Socal. Many of the homes also have decent sized yards, so you could expand the home oneday if needed as your family grows.

Commute to Coronado is not bad at all (I used to do it years ago).

Zip = 92064

Not a huge selection at this price range, but I see at least 1-2 new ones come on the market every week in the sub 400k range.

Also, homes are selling under their asking price in San Diego, sometimes as much as 15%. So don't be afraid to look at homes a little over 400k.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,691,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
If you prefer a new house, and you don't mind hearing Spanish more often than English in your neighborhood, you can get something like this

Zillow - 1333 Fieldbrook St, Chula Vista, CA 91913

(Just went into escrow last week, last listed price $365,500)
You do realize that a majority of Mexican-Americans that live in Eastlake, Otay Ranch, Rolling Hills, etc, are first or second generation families, right? I'm sure alot of them don't even speak Spanish.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 02-13-2008 at 12:12 AM..

Old 02-13-2008, 04:43 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,130,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
You do realize that a majority of Mexican-Americans that live in Eastlake, Otay Ranch, Rolling Hills, etc, are first or second generation families, right? I'm sure alot of them don't even speak Spanish.
Don't know about Eastlake in particular, but among all residents of CV, 30% are foreign born, 47% speak Spanish at home, and 17% don't speak English very well. (Census.gov 2006 ACS survey) I even heard about wealthy businessmen (and drug traffickers!) from Tijuana owning houses in Eastlake. I can't say how widespread that practice is.

It's not that hard to verify. Go to any park in Eastlake on a weekend, hang around, you'll get a much better idea.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,392,815 times
South Bay would not be my first choice for sub-400k housing. For me, it is just too far south and limits you to working no further north than maybe UTC. Carlsbad, Rancho Bernardo, Even South Orange county are not doable from South Bay. However, in North County, many options open up.

Poway would still be my first choice in this price range. For instance, today there is a home on 13701 Powers Road that came out under 400k. 4Bdr/2Ba, 1970 build, 1500 Sq Ft, Pool, decent upgrades inside....399k. That's just one example. I see at least 5 of these a week come out...some are better than others of course. The one above is one of the better ones I've seen.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:13 AM

31 posts, read 142,474 times
You can find a typical 3 bedroom/2 bath home in East County for under $400,000. Try Santee, parts of El Cajon, Rancho San Diego, even Jamul.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:28 PM

26 posts, read 84,438 times
Yeah, I'd guess East County. Commute wouldn't be pleasing, and schools aren't the best, but it's still a modest suburban community for less $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego