Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 11:33 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times

Advertisements

I had my annual physical a few days ago and at the moment I am devising a new "routine" for myself. Some of the changes have to do with diet adding a few supplements and continuing my exercise routine. Now comes the fun stuff.

I live in CA for goodness sake. I should really get into the wine scene out here and explore what is being offered.

My only experience with wine tasting has been in Argentina. I absolutely fell in love with ALL their wine. The few CA wines I tried in NYC did not compare. Did I miss something ? Maybe NYC doesn't get the good stuff.

What to sample ....both RED and WHITE and where to buy...both in SD and Baja ?

I know of the wine region in Baja but I don't drive down there so that is out of the question.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 01:18 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
No need to go to Baja. Start close to home. Do a winery tour of Temecula (Temecula Valley Wineries and Vineyards) and then maybe another of Ramona (Wine Tasting in Ramona Valley - Eight Wineries to Try), although the Ramona wineries are younger, and some people feel they haven't reached Temecula level yet. There are also wineries in Escondido, Julian (one of my favorites), and even where I live, Jamul.

(If you don't want to drive, you can google Temecula winery tour and find a number of companies that will happily chauffeur you and a friend or two from winery to winery).

If you don't want to visit wineries, there are also a number of wine bars around, most of which have California wines available for tasting. Here's a starter list: Best wine bars in San Diego | DiscoverSD.com I haven't been there, but my brother in law and sister in law, who live in Encinitas have favorably mentioned the wine tastings here: http://solterrawinery.com/

Alternately, just go to Vons or World Market and buy a bunch of California wines and have your own wine tasting party at home. (I personally really like the Raymond brand of wines, from Napa)

Have fun!

Old 03-25-2016, 02:24 AM

Rosie...you are always full of information.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2016, 10:35 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Romesco and Bracero Mexican restaurants in Bonita and DT have a decent offering of Baja wines on their menus.....for starters, try something as basic as a Santo Tomas Merlot--very full flavored without the tannin aftertaste..better yet, since you split your time between SD and Tijuana, stop off at Caesar's and sample their house cabernet--excellent, cheap, and sold by the glass--there is also a great wine shop inside the same building complex, Via Corporativo, as their sister restaurant, Mision 19---see link below.....57 Degrees is the largest, and my personal favorite--wine bar in SD and they carry a number of Baja wines.

La Contra. El vino visto diferente...

With regards to California wines, as a generic rule of thumb, I have never had a bad bottle of red wine coming out of the Alexander Valley (Sonoma) regardless of price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
No need to go to Baja. Start close to home. Do a winery tour of Temecula (Temecula Valley Wineries and Vineyards) and then maybe another of Ramona (Wine Tasting in Ramona Valley - Eight Wineries to Try), although the Ramona wineries are younger, and some people feel they haven't reached Temecula level yet. There are also wineries in Escondido, Julian (one of my favorites), and even where I live, Jamul.

(If you don't want to drive, you can google Temecula winery tour and find a number of companies that will happily chauffeur you and a friend or two from winery to winery).

If you don't want to visit wineries, there are also a number of wine bars around, most of which have California wines available for tasting. Here's a starter list: Best wine bars in San Diego | DiscoverSD.com I haven't been there, but my brother in law and sister in law, who live in Encinitas have favorably mentioned the wine tastings here: Solterra Winery |

Alternately, just go to Vons or World Market and buy a bunch of California wines and have your own wine tasting party at home. (I personally really like the Raymond brand of wines, from Napa)

Have fun!

Last edited by elchevere; 03-25-2016 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 PM

^ I have tried the house red at Ceasars but I found it to be thin bodied.

I prefer wines from Argentina.

Where is the wine shop in the building ? The restaurant is attached to Hotel Ceasar.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:00 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Via Corporitivo is where the wine shop and Mision 19, NOT Caesars, are located.

http://viacorporativo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
^ I have tried the house red at Ceasars but I found it to be thin bodied.

I prefer wines from Argentina.

Where is the wine shop in the building ? The restaurant is attached to Hotel Ceasar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego