Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:58 PM

85 posts, read 215,995 times

Advertisements

I may have a great opportunity to get a position at UCSD and relocate from the midwest. I searched these forums and haven't found too much pertaining to this specific situation. I will be supporting a family of four on about $50-55K. One of the kids will be starting school in a couple years, so this is an important consideration too. I would also need to live <30 minutes from UCSD. We would obviously be renting, at least a 2BR place to start. I am very discouraged by the cost of living and quality of life afforded by the "median income." Is there any hope of making it under these constraints? At this point I'm wondering whether I should save myself the money of traveling to check things out if it is going to be a fruitless pursuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 12:04 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,387,561 times
You don't mind eating ramen 3x a day, do you? To make things easier, you could all share 1 bedroom and rent out the other room to another family of 4.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 AM

38 posts, read 140,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post
I may have a great opportunity to get a position at UCSD and relocate from the midwest. I searched these forums and haven't found too much pertaining to this specific situation. I will be supporting a family of four on about $50-55K. One of the kids will be starting school in a couple years, so this is an important consideration too. I would also need to live <30 minutes from UCSD. We would obviously be renting, at least a 2BR place to start. I am very discouraged by the cost of living and quality of life afforded by the "median income." Is there any hope of making it under these constraints? At this point I'm wondering whether I should save myself the money of traveling to check things out if it is going to be a fruitless pursuit.
I really don't think that will cut it. I'm sure you could survive on it but I don't think it would be fun. I was set to move to SoCal this year and we(wife, 2 kids) would have had to live off $75K and I was really discouraged. I'm putting moving off for another 2 years and then when we go we'll be in much better shape. Don't mean to be a downer but I've researched moving for months now and was in Orange County and S.D twice this year and unless prices come down a lot I just think you're in for a rough time.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 AM

4,531 posts, read 12,370,977 times
I think the deciding factor should be the potential long term career upside of this job, and how much more exciting you think this job will be compared to what you are doing now. If you love your job you will perform well, and become a standout. You will either progress at UCSD or develop contacts and a reputation that will develop your career outside of the university community.

There are plenty of ways to economize on expenses if you make the effort. Most people seem to assume that the manner in which they live in their 20s and 30s at the start of their careers should be comparable to the manner in which their parents are living in their 50s and early 60s at the end of theirs.

News Flash: Your parents were economizing when you were a young kid, but you were to young to realize it. Your kids won't notice either.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningintherain View Post
I really don't think that will cut it. I'm sure you could survive on it but I don't think it would be fun. I was set to move to SoCal this year and we(wife, 2 kids) would have had to live off $75K and I was really discouraged. I'm putting moving off for another 2 years and then when we go we'll be in much better shape. Don't mean to be a downer but I've researched moving for months now and was in Orange County and S.D twice this year and unless prices come down a lot I just think you're in for a rough time.
Sad, really. Sounds like along much of the West coast it is almost required to have a (vary hard working) 2 income family just to keep ahead, or else a single earner executive/doctor/lawyer. In addition to my crazy hours, I do not want my spouse to feel forced to work 50 hours and make $50K when she really wants to remain part time at most because of the young kids. Is there no place to rent a $1500 2BR with a decent elementary school nearby?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
There are plenty of ways to economize on expenses if you make the effort. Most people seem to assume that the manner in which they live in their 20s and 30s at the start of their careers should be comparable to the manner in which their parents are living in their 50s and early 60s at the end of theirs.

News Flash: Your parents were economizing when you were a young kid, but you were to young to realize it. Your kids won't notice either.
We certainly aren't of the mold that thinks their first home should be their (4 BR/4000 sf/granite-stainless-ensuite-greatroom-etc.) dream home. We have been in grad school and had a kid in school, and are now in the sort of "paid training" phase so we have been economizing for years. It's just easier to do in the Midwest as we can get by and own a home on the same salary here. I don't have any problem with economizing with the kids aside from making sure they have a good public school for their most formative years.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:38 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,717,039 times
I'm also gonna say that $55k for a family of four might be tough.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,141,348 times
55K for a family of four would be tough but doable. As a UCSD employee, you would be eligible for a 2BR in La Jolla Del Sol starting at 1400/month, 2 miles from the campus, right on the university shuttle route. Your kids would go to a decent school across the street from the apartment complex (Doyle Elementary), there's a Vons next door, in principle, you don't even need a car.

The question is, how long are you willing to live like a grad student, and is there a lot of move up potential.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:06 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,198,110 times
Quote:
I think it's time to put pen or pencil to paper and simply figure out how much you're paying in all of your living expenses in the midwest versus how much it would cost for you to live in SD. I'm also looking at SD (coming from NE OH), and actually, did you know that we pay more taxes overall than CA? I'm providing a link in case someone thinks I'm full of it. Tax-Friendly Places 2007 | 1 | CNNMoney.com.

You can compare gas prices from anywhere in the country at GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada. Check how much insurance will cost you at either place. Check utilities; I would venture to say that they will be lower in SD. Gas bills in NE OH have been $500 or more per month in colder weather, and electric is not too far behind. Check out food prices. Housing is undoubtedly higher in SD, that's true.

In my opinion, it is ALWAYS important to see how far your career path will expand in SD versus where you're at. I have many friends that live in SD, most are doing extremely well. There is a different mindset in CA, I don't care what anyone says. If they say otherwise, they haven't lived in places where the mindset is status quo and stagnant. I don't know how it is where you live, but my perception is that in my area and I've been here 36+ years. We lived in S. CA in the 80's; when we moved back here, it was like going back in time and going backwards a few steps as far as economic prosperity, that's for sure. I think that you need to look at everything before you move; look at the BIG picture, not just one variable, which for now, is housing. Best wishes to you and your family.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:49 AM

9,523 posts, read 30,419,594 times
Quote:
50-55k is not the type of salary you relocate to a high-cost area for. UCSD tends to underpay, and is in a very expensive area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego