Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 07:52 AM

50,159 posts, read 46,820,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Nice post. Glad to see someone advocating the sport fishing fleet here in San Diego. Sounds like a good trip. The fishing is only going to get better as the year progresses. There are also lots of alternatives for people on shorter and less expensive trips as well. I have a 2 day trip booked with some friends from work in the last week of July. The cost is 500 and will end up being about 650 with food and tips. The food is usually first rate....not foodie type of stuff but usually good dinners with steak and fresh catch and burgers and burritos for lunch and breakfast. I also go on a few 3/4 day trips that run about 125 each. Other than that, I don't have my own boat so I look for co-workers and friends with boats and split the gas and bait costs with them.
If you are looking to jump on a private boat with locals this is the place.

Fishing Reports | Deep Sea Fishing | Hunting | Fishing Forums | BD Outdoors

SDfish also has a salt section but not near the traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 09:45 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,020,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you are looking to jump on a private boat with locals this is the place.

Fishing Reports | Deep Sea Fishing | Hunting | Fishing Forums | BD Outdoors

SDfish also has a salt section but not near the traffic
Yeah, I used to visit bloodydecks regularly. I wish I had more time to fish. If I end retiring this year I may get back to it on a regular basis.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Yeah, I used to visit bloodydecks regularly. I wish I had more time to fish. If I end retiring this year I may get back to it on a regular basis.
This should be a great year with YT and mixed tuna already showing in the counts. YSR posted an extended report on BD. It's been a while since the day boats were catching this early. No longfin yet though.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,841,337 times
That looks great. I wanna come to SD again this summer. Does Excel, or other outfitters work during that season?

Give me some more details on how to contact these people please?

Also was there large groups on the ship with you, or was it mostly small groups? Where you by yourself?

Did you have to pay for the sushi? Are the fish sushi grade right out of the water?

Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
That looks great. I wanna come to SD again this summer. Does Excel, or other outfitters work during that season?

Also was there large groups on the ship with you, or was it mostly small groups? Where you by yourself?

Did you have to pay for the sushi? Are the fish sushi grade right out of the water?
The long range boats have fish holds so the fish stay fresh. The summer is best for 2 day + trips but you want to book soon because if the bite is hot the boats will be full. There are limited load trips that cost more but there are fewer lines in the water. Personally, I can't stand cattle cars thus why I own my own. I leave when I want, don't get sawed off and come back when I want.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...%20san%20diego

Old 04-28-2016, 07:43 AM

3,211 posts, read 3,886,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Geeze, you want me to catch the fish for you too?

Contact one of the landings in San Diego, they book all the trips. The trips run from half-day, to twenty-one days.

Some include food, some don't. Go with your fiends, or go by yourself.

Start on a half day.

Last edited by ysr_racer; 04-28-2016 at 08:06 AM..

Old 04-28-2016, 07:16 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,020,169 times
Seaforth
Pt Loma Sportfishing
H and M Landing

Google all these and they each will have a schedule with prices....summer is best in my opinion. July to end of September is the best time frame.

I usually go with a group from work but sometimes they have a few singles on board with us. So it is either groups or solos.

I was on a trip once and we were catching a lot of Albacore...I mean a lot. The cook came out to the back of the boat dropped a line in the water and caught a nice 25 lb tuna. He cooked it up with some rice and wasabi sauce. He also cut up some sushi slices but they did not look anywhere as nice as the pics here. Our cook just sliced it up and set it out on the back of the boat on a paper plate with soy sauce and we just picked at it while we fished. It was delicious.

One word of warning: catching fish is not guaranteed. You should always be prepared (mentally) to getting shut out. Especially if you paid over a couple hundred bucks it can sting. A good capitan will be able to find fish but its not guaranteed. Sometimes mother nature will just not cooperate.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:49 PM

3,211 posts, read 3,886,602 times
There were a couple of guys on my trip that got shut out. Even though this was my first ocean trip, I was killing 'em.

What's my secret? I did exactly what the crew told me to, and guess what, it worked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: