Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:16 AM

13 posts, read 18,362 times

Advertisements

We're pretty over high rise condo/renting life and are looking to buy a townhome or SFH in one of SD's burbs. We're trying to stay below 500K (>1250 SQFT) so we have no delusions of living in La Jolla/Del Mar. We're looking for a safe family neighborhood with good schools regardless. Based on our criteria and my research, I have a shot at living in one of two areas: North County (Ranchos Pensaquitos/Poway/4s) or East County (Eastlake/Bonita/Otay Ranch). Are there another areas I can get a move in ready home for under 500K that meets our criteria?

I'd be commuting to Sorrento Valley twice a week, so I'm sure the commute from Eastlake would be horrendous. Anybody have experience with this?

Why is East County so cheap? The schools are rated almost as well as Poway, yet the median home price is significantly lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 11:22 AM

147 posts, read 157,623 times
Hi SD, are you moving to San Diego? Or just relocating?

Cause there is a pretty big difference in terms of overall outlook. In East County, the high schools might be rated okay, but most of them have much less high-performing students. I grew up there, graded top 10 in my class and felt that there were only maybe 20 kids that were really my equals in terms of academic prowess. (this is just how I felt at the time, not a knock on the other kids). I did a lot of activities like piano, tennis, math prep, etc. out of class, and knew of only a handful of other kids who did anything but sports. That's the kids you'll mostly surround your children with.

In North County, you have a lot more well-to-do parents who have more plans for their children and the means to do so. I taught a soccer clinic and most of them were in NC.

Also, you just have lifestyle. Better businesses, better food (aside from Mexican, which is fine out there) and easier access to work. Going east in traffic can be bad.

Where are you moving from?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSD View Post
W East County (Eastlake/Bonita/Otay Ranch). Are there another areas I can get a move in ready home for under 500K that meets our criteria?

Eastlake/Bonita/Otay Ranch are NOT in East County. They're in the South Bay.

East County would include places like La Mesa, Santee, Alpine, Lakeside, Jamul, El Cajon, Rancho San Diego, Caso De Oro, Spring Valley all of which will have some SF homes/townhouses within your price range and can be very nice places to live. Some people also consider Ramona and even parts of Poway to be "east county" although in my mind "east county" is more the area east of downtown and Mission Valley along the I-8 and I-94 corridors.

The South Bay and East County are less expensive than North County due to a couple of reasons. First, the perception by some is that "north county" is the tonier part of the county. (I guess those folks have never seen the million dollar estates in the east county area where I live or the beautiful newer planned housing communities in Otay Ranch). Second, some (but not all) of the schools and school districts in North County have better test scores and reputations than many (but not all) of the schools and school districts in the South Bay and East County. If schools are important, do your research. There are good schools in many different places in San Diego County, not just in North County (and there are so-so schools in North County too.)

Finally, some people prefer less diverse areas, or buy into the stereotypes that everyone in East County drives a pick up truck, or that everyone one in the South Bay speaks Spanish. There is always a bit of truth to stereotypes, but stereotypes don't tell the whole story of any area (if they did, everyone living in North County would do yoga, wear designer clothes, and surf). Stereotypes also don't tell you whether you'll be comfortable living in a neighborhood. Only you can determine that.

So, think about what you need to be happy. This will be different for each person, and there really is no right or wrong, just personal preference. Remember that most people tend to be biased about where they live and think it is the "best" place, but unless you know the person well, the "best" place for a stranger may not be the "best" for you. For instance, I like many parts of North County, but I wouldn't trade my four acres, privacy and quiet in East County for a pocket sized lot in a suburban cookie cutter community of North County for anything. Where we live is also a very reasonable commute for where my husband works whereas the areas we could afford in North County wouldn't be. (and, by the way, my kids got great educations in our local schools, and had many motivated friends who all went to excellent colleges and turned out just fine, and I know kids who grew up in East County who weren't motivated to go to college.

So again, be wary of stereotypes and personal biases What's right for me and my family (or someone else's) may not be right for you and your family. Trust your own instincts.

All that said, in truth, there are nice neighborhoods throughout San Diego County -- in North County the South Bay, East County and Central San Diego -- that might be a good fit for your family and offer homes in your price range (For instance, in Central San Diego, check out Clairemont Mesa, Tierrasanta, Birdland, North Park, Mission Valley, San Carlos, Talmadge and perhaps University City). Being open to townhomes and not just SFHs will increase your options in all parts of the County.

Again, there is no right or wrong answer that will fit every family, just personal preferences and needs.

Regardless of where you decide to focus your search, with your budget you will need to keep an open mind about home size, home age, and condition and location. But, if you keep your focus on getting a foot into the door of a decent neighborhood where you think you can be comfortable and not just on getting all the "bells and whistles" of a perfect dream house in your first home purchase, you'll find a good place to call home.

Finally, one last piece of unsolicited advice: shop around for an experienced real estate agent who is familiar with different parts of the county, and who you feel is listening to your preferences and needs. This is easier said then done, but a good real estate agent who is well informed about neighborhoods and schools (and many RE agents are surprisingly uninformed) can really make a difference in your search.

Good luck with your home search!

Last edited by RosieSD; 04-28-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkbruin View Post
Hi SD, are you moving to San Diego? Or just relocating?

Cause there is a pretty big difference in terms of overall outlook. In East County, the high schools might be rated okay, but most of them have much less high-performing students. I grew up there, graded top 10 in my class and felt that there were only maybe 20 kids that were really my equals in terms of academic prowess. (this is just how I felt at the time, not a knock on the other kids). I did a lot of activities like piano, tennis, math prep, etc. out of class, and knew of only a handful of other kids who did anything but sports. That's the kids you'll mostly surround your children with.

In North County, you have a lot more well-to-do parents who have more plans for their children and the means to do so. I taught a soccer clinic and most of them were in NC.

Also, you just have lifestyle. Better businesses, better food (aside from Mexican, which is fine out there) and easier access to work. Going east in traffic can be bad.

Where are you moving from?
Thanks hkbruin! I should've been more clear. I currently live in Seattle, WA but have an offer in Sorrento Valley. That's great information! North County seems more ideal, as I do like that Master Planned Community type feel.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Eastlake/Bonita/Otay Ranch are NOT in East County. They're in the South Bay.

East County would include places like La Mesa, Santee, Alpine, Lakeside, Jamul, El Cajon, Rancho San Diego, Caso De Oro, Spring Valley all of which will have homes within your price range and can be very nice places to live. Some people also consider Ramona and even parts of Poway to be "east county" although in my mind "east county" is more the area east of downtown and Mission Valley along the I-8 and I-94 corridors.

The South Bay and East County are less expensive than North County due to a couple of reasons. First, the perception by some is that "north county" is the tonier part of the county. (I guess those folks have never seen the million dollar estates in the east county area where I live or the beautiful newer planned housing communities in Otay Ranch). Second, some (but not all) of the schools and school districts in North County have better test scores and reputations than many (but not all) of the schools and school districts in the South Bay and East County. If schools are important, do your research. There are good schools in many different places in San Diego, not just in North County (and there are so-so schools in North County too.)

Finally, some people prefer less diverse areas, or buy into the stereotypes that everyone in East County drives a pick up truck, or that everyone one in the South Bay speaks Spanish. There is always a bit of truth to stereotypes, but stereotypes don't tell the whole story of any area (if they did, everyone living in North County would do yoga, wear designer clothes, and surf).

For what it's worth, my advice is to look beyond stereotypes and focus on finding a neighborhood where you feel comfortable that has houses you can reasonably afford. There are many nice neighborhoods in East County, North County, South Bay and Central San Diego that might fit the bill and where homes are still available in the $500,000 range. (For instance, in Central San Diego, check out Mira Mesa, Rancho Penasquitos, Clairemont Mesa, Tierrasanta, Birdland, and perhaps University City). Drive around different neighborhoods, eat in some local restaurants, spend time in the different areas. You'll find the areas that fit you best. You will need to keep an open mind about home size, home age, and condition in many parts of the county for your budget, but if you keep your focus on getting a foot into the door of a decent neighborhood and not getting all the "bells and whistles" of a perfect dream house in your first home purchase, you'll find a good place to call home.

Good luck with your home search!
Thanks for the detailed response and for clearing up the the naming of the areas. I love diversity and would be ecstatic if that's what is keeping home prices down! I used to live in Riverside so I've been down to SD countless times, but have never ventured too far from SD's coastal towns.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:30 PM

147 posts, read 157,623 times
SD, how old are your kids? And how many? That may play a part in size.

And do you want a turnkey place with upgrades? Or don't mind properties that have some age on them?

Old 04-28-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkbruin View Post
SD, how old are your kids? And how many? That may play a part in size.

And do you want a turnkey place with upgrades? Or don't mind properties that have some age on them?
Just one kid at the moment and he's 3 with another on the way. In all honesty, I'm not all that handy which is why I'm leaning towards more of a turnkey. For the time being 14-1600 feet would be enoug for us.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:57 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
You'll definitely have to look at the inland neighborhoods of North county to find a place with your size requirements. Oceanside might be an exception but Del Mar - Carlsbad will most likely be out for a budget of 500k. San Marcos, Vista, and Escondido are options to look into

Old 04-28-2016, 01:14 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSD View Post
Thanks hkbruin! I should've been more clear. I currently live in Seattle, WA but have an offer in Sorrento Valley. That's great information! North County seems more ideal, as I do like that Master Planned Community type feel.
In that case, I agree with Hkburkn and think you are on the right path with your North County list. If you'll be working in Sorrento Valley and like a "planned community" feel, then you should start your search in areas like Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, Rancho Penasquitos and maybe parts of San Marcos and Carlsbad if a townhome or condo would be OK. Some "central San Diego" areas that might be worth a look for your budget would include Clairemont Mesa, University City, Birdland, and Mission Valley (mainly condos/townhomes) but many of these are older neighborhoods. Parts of close in East County (north La Mesa, San Carlos) might be an OK commute too. But, the South Bay (i.e., Otay Ranch) would be a more challenging commute to Sorrento Valley during rush hour so I wouldn't recommend looking there unless you can't find a home in NC with a more convenient commute in your budget.

Have you thought about renting for a year, to see which areas you prefer and to give yourself more time to search? Since you have time until your oldest starts school, that might be something to consider.

Good luck with your move! You will really like living in San Diego County, no matter where you land.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:21 PM

148 posts, read 279,667 times
have you considered Mira Mesa (92126), a stone throw away from Sorrento? Mira Mesa isn't "glam" as other areas but 1600 sf SFH is around $550k. Schools are good to excellent. Close to everything.

here a some sample SFHs found on redfin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego