Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:57 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,559,554 times

Advertisements

The website Livability.com just issued a "10 best cities for families" list. The list includes places like Palo Alto (CA), Rockville (MD) and Oak Park (IL). According to the website, "We crunched the data. We looked at the quality of the schools, the crime rate, and measures of the quality of healthcare and economy. We gave points to communities that are walkable, diverse, have lots of parks and active children’s sections in their libraries. We favored communities with shorter commute times (so working parents can be home more and on the road less) and larger populations of other kids to play with."

Only one city in San Diego county made the list. It actually beat out Palo Alto, and came in fifth on the list.

The San Diego city that Livability.com named as a "top 10 cities for families" is.......Chula Vista.

Link to the article about why they chose Chula Vista: Chula Vista, CA | 2016 10 Best Places to Raise a Family | Livability

Link to the whole list: 2016 10 Best Places to Raise a Family | Livability

Of course, we all know that there are MANY great places in San Diego to raise a family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,433,869 times
Chula Vista seems to keep making these lists. Where is the love for El Cajon and Escondido ? Wasn't it recently also on Forbes 10 most boring cities...

Yet most people in SD are still afraid or self conscious about living in "boring" and "family friendly" Chula Vista.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:40 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,559,554 times
I thought we'd have more reaction to this story. Guess people on this board just aren't familiar with Chula Vista.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:14 PM

7,375 posts, read 6,432,159 times
Either that or are single and don't have families.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:43 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Or don't put much stock in "Top Ten <whatever>" lists.

Anyway, Chula Vista, like Poway and San Diego itself, are too big and various to pigeonhole like that. I'm sure there are great family-friendly parts of Chula Vista, and other parts I wouldn't choose for a family.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:01 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Ok, I'll bite. How many "jobs" are actually in S Bay that are well paying? Everyone I know that lives in CV drives a mean commute to N of the 8 or further North. It's brutal going South after about 3 pm.

So ya, data compiled off the net can be rather suspect.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 791,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, I'll bite. How many "jobs" are actually in S Bay that are well paying? Everyone I know that lives in CV drives a mean commute to N of the 8 or further North. It's brutal going South after about 3 pm.

So ya, data compiled off the net can be rather suspect.
This. There's a lot I like about the newer portions of CV . . .but I just didn't want another long commute, and I only work in downtown SD. Settled in East County with a (gasp! ack!) El Cajon mailing address - family seems no worse for wear . . .

Old 05-03-2016, 08:03 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,433,869 times
True True True, many times people don't think of crime or demographics when choosing not to live in new Chula Vista, many times what comes to mind is the HORRENDOUS 805 North bound traffic and then the tolls one must pay to use the 125 SBX. It sort of has an isolated or distant feel to it from the rest of the County.

Although it doesn't feel as isolated as "New Chula Vista", "Old Chula Vista" is heavily Mexican and an older home stock, it's great if you find yourself in TJ and SD alot as you are right smack in the middle of the two cities, it has much more of a bi-national feel to it.

Bonita was much more my style versus old and new Chula Vista as we toured homes in both cities when we were in the market in 2010, but we went with East County instead.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:18 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,372,758 times
Funny as I wouldn't rate Palo Alto or Chula Vista in the top ten for either the Bay Area or the San Diego area. Palo Alto is a pretentious, high stress, boring, crowded traffic ridden, extremely expensive drag (with a great university) and Chula Vista is- well I want to be nice, but it's not top ten in San Diego county.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:46 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,361,645 times
A lot of people forget that vintage housing, artisinal restaurants and yoga studios are not family friendly. Many nice places in SD (Kensington, Mission Hills, Del Mar) are not friendly to any but the most wealthy, yuppie, urbanite families. Most families gravitate towards middle class, predictable, good school areas like Chula Vista or San Marcos. They are simply priced out and people with kids can't trade education quality or safety for short commutes and boutique lifestyle. Also, people without kids can trade off a ****ty commute for ****ty schools, people with kids will NEVER make that choice.

While I agree Palo Alto is not family friendly unless you are already a millionaire, Chula Vista is probably the most family friendly area in all of SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego