Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:00 AM

480 posts, read 418,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Landlords don't want to bother with out of state inquiries, because there are plenty of in state applicants that they can meet in person, when the application is approved.
Big deal! It's not like a job application.

I disagree. There are plenty of qualified out of state applicants. They probably didn't set their spam filter correctly.

Where you are from shouldn't matter as much as the credit check, rental history, education, job, and income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 AM

89 posts, read 83,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post

I disagree. There are plenty of qualified out of state applicants. They probably didn't set their spam filter correctly.

Where you are from shouldn't matter as much as the credit check, rental history, education, job, and income.
So your theory is that an out of state applicant is being denied because somehow the landlord's spam filter deduces they are from Wyoming instead of California?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:12 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:

Landlords like to see who they're going to rent to, and if you're applying from out of town, that's kind of hard to do. It has nothing to do with setting spam filters. Even if you get accepted from out of town, you still have to go into an office to sign a lease, and you can be rejected then, because even if you have the qualifications on the application doesn't guarantee that you're going to get accepted.

So how come you haven't gotten any offers to rent yet, if you've set your spam filters correctly?

Last edited by moved; 05-31-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 05-31-2016, 12:45 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
I've gone to apartment open houses where landlords received over 100 applications in two hours in response to an ad for a desirable apartment at the right price.

There is no shortage of willing tenants who want to rent in San Diego, so landlords feel they don't have to respond to every rental inquiry they get for an ad, and they can afford to be very picky about who they choose to rent to.

As moved says, it has nothing to do with spam filters. It has every thing to do with how competitive the rental market is here, especially in certain price ranges and in certain areas.

Since you are well off financially and can afford to take several months off from work, why not take a week off NOW and come out to look for an apartment in person? That way, you'll have a place lined up and ready to move into when you move in August. Even if you have to pay July's rent, if money is no issue, then paying for an extra month's rent shouldn't be a problem; it would be worthwhile for the peace of mind before your move.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:04 PM

Or better yet, just have your "assistant" apply for you.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Landlords like to see who they're going to rent to, and if you're applying from out of town, that's kind of hard to do. It has nothing to do with setting spam filters. Even if you get accepted from out of town, you still have to go into an office to sign a lease, and you can be rejected then, because even if you have the qualifications on the application doesn't guarantee that you're going to get accepted.

So how come you haven't gotten any offers to rent yet, if you've set your spam filters correctly?
Well. Rejection is out of question unless the landlord is insane or discriminatory towards out of state applicants.

I have not applied anywhere yet. One landlord was very interested in moving forward but I changed my mind and withdrew my application. I am optimistic though.

Last edited by Opt_10; 05-31-2016 at 10:01 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I've gone to apartment open houses where landlords received over 100 applications in two hours in response to an ad for a desirable apartment at the right price.

There is no shortage of willing tenants who want to rent in San Diego, so landlords feel they don't have to respond to every rental inquiry they get for an ad, and they can afford to be very picky about who they choose to rent to.

As moved says, it has nothing to do with spam filters. It has every thing to do with how competitive the rental market is here, especially in certain price ranges and in certain areas.

Since you are well off financially and can afford to take several months off from work, why not take a week off NOW and come out to look for an apartment in person? That way, you'll have a place lined up and ready to move into when you move in August. Even if you have to pay July's rent, if money is no issue, then paying for an extra month's rent shouldn't be a problem; it would be worthwhile for the peace of mind before your move.
Great idea. I have a trip to San Francisco coming up mid june. It's a 4 day business trip. Any chance I can squeeze a San Diego visit? Would that be feasible? I am thinking flying would be the best option since SD and SF are so far away? I am lost and a bit confused!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Or better yet, just have your "assistant" apply for you.
They are busy with my financial statements and taxes. But I have asked them to get with it.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
They are busy with my financial statements and taxes. But I have asked them to get with it.
So now, you have more than one "assistant?" You mean you can't handle your finances and taxes yourself?

Old 06-01-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
So now, you have more than one "assistant?" You mean you can't handle your finances and taxes yourself?
None of your business.

Last edited by Opt_10; 06-01-2016 at 01:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego