Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 05:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,843 times

Advertisements

I am a 30 year old, single female looking to make a big change and move to San Diego. I have been an RN for 5 years with my most recent hospital experience being on an ICU step-down of a very busy level I trauma center. I just returned from visiting San Diego and am in love with the weather and the beauty. I have started the process for reciprocity

In my online searches, North Park seems to be a good area for a young, single professional, but I am looking for any insight locals may have. I have a car, but do love being able to walk and/or use public transportation. Given I'd be moving across the country alone, safety is of course important as well.

As for jobs, does California have ICU step-down units? I was thinking of focusing on trying to get in with UCSD medical center with the thought I might go back to school for FNP. SD has a higher cost of living than Chicago so pay matters too

Thank you in advance for any and all advice/insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 10:48 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
First, get the job lined up. For most people living in San Diego County, the location of their job determines where they live to some extent, unless they don't mind a long commute.

Did you visit the North Park area when you were in town? If so, what did you like about the area? What is your expected budget for rent? Although it's hard to make suggestions without knowing where you'll be working, the answers to these questions may help folks give you some feedback.

I'm not sure we have a lot of nurses on this forum, so you may not get a lot of answers to your nursing questions. But, it never hurts to ask.

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:02 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shneebee3 View Post

In my online searches, North Park seems to be a good area for a young, single professional, but I am looking for any insight locals may have. I have a car, but do love being able to walk and/or use public transportation. Given I'd be moving across the country alone, safety is of course important as well.
The Hospitals in our mid city areas (which are great places for young single people) include Balboa Naval Hospital, UCSD Med Center Hillcrest and Scripps Mercy Hospital. Other hospitals a good short freeway drive from mid-city areas would be Sharp Memorial and Radys Childrens Hospital both up the 163 and Kaiser Hospital in Mission Gorge area and the new one right up the 15 freeway. The smaller Alvarado Hospital down the 8 FWY is not terribly far either.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:12 PM

334 posts, read 363,245 times
Wife and I moved to SD in november and settled on North Park for an apartment. Pros are that it's centrally located, not too expensive, and sort of walkable. Rents for 1bed were running around 1100-1500 depending on size. Main area is university and 30th with lots of restaurants around there. South of University are nicer single family homes, north of university is filled with not as nice low-rise apartments (cheap but functional).

However, besides restaurants there's not much in North Park and the main area is really small. There's a Von's close by, a Smart Final (0.5 mile west), and a TJs (1.5 miles west in hillcrest). Getting to the center of Balboa park is a 2 mile walk.

The most surprising thing we encountered moving to San Diego was the sheer number of homeless people. North Park is not so bad (for san diego) but there are few "regulars" around the main area. They sleep in the entrances of the businesses and you can definitely smell urine as you walk by.

Street parking is a pain so make sure your apartment has a dedicated spot (I think this is true everywhere in S.D.).

UCSD medical center is a bit of drive from North Park (assuming you mean the one by La Jolla). I've headed up that way during the day and traffic has been fine but not sure how it would be in rush hour.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:46 PM

38 posts, read 48,890 times
Yes there are step down units in the California hospitals.

UCSD is opening a new hospital, the Jacobs Medical Center and are hiring nurses. It opens later this year, I think around September or so.

Here's a link to UCSD nursing job listings. There are several UCSD hospitals aside from Jacobs. Thornton is located in La Jolla, Hillcrest is in Hillcrest. If you're interested in step-down units they're listed here as PCU (Progressive Care Unit)

UCSD Jobs

Old 05-17-2016, 02:47 PM

25 posts, read 73,509 times
Here is the link for the nursing contract at UCSD ... I don't have Kaisers' but I have heard they pay more..

http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia....nuary-2017.pdf

Old 05-17-2016, 03:46 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
The Hospitals in our mid city areas (which are great places for young single people) include Balboa Naval Hospital, UCSD Med Center Hillcrest and Scripps Mercy Hospital. Other hospitals a good short freeway drive from mid-city areas would be Sharp Memorial and Radys Childrens Hospital both up the 163 and Kaiser Hospital in Mission Gorge area and the new one right up the 15 freeway. The smaller Alvarado Hospital down the 8 FWY is not terribly far either.
Don't forget Sharps Grossmont Hospital in La Mesa.
Huge Hospital and the trolley drops you off right in front(minus the stairs)
That part of La Mesa Has Everything, Grossmont Center Mall, parks, Newly built Condo style apartments, all within walking distance of each other.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:22 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Scripps Health. Actively recruiting for RN's in your area. 4 hospitals from small (Encinitas) to large Mercy. Scripps is non union pays well and is very busy.
UCSD. Teaching. Large and varied. 2 campuses 1 la jolla and 1 hillcrest. application process is a phd paper.
Kaiser 1 Hospital HMO not particularly well thought of but has the model to encourage applications. Highest pay.
Sharp. 3 or 4 hospitals. Grossmont is largest. Good model. excellent MD/RN
Alvarado. I would avoid at all costs. Poor care.
Tri City. District hospital Low income clients. Adequate care
Palomar. New hospital in Escondido. also a district hospital. Trauma for north county.
Rady's. Childrens' Only game in town for kids. World famous.

I lived in Sabre Springs which gave me equal access to North, South and West. Good to consider until you get the job.

Bear in mind that SD is very competitive. Now is the best time to apply. If you can live and work registry after you get your CA license that would work. UCSD is the busiest for registry rarely cancels. Pacifc Coast Healthcare. Ask for Stafford of Josh. They are small best organized and pay is good. If you know trauma Scripps Mercy, Scripps La Jolla, UCSD and Palomar are your trauma centers. UCSD and La Jolla are level 1's. Burn in UCSD and kids is Rady's. Wait for the license would be my advice. I have 20 years ICU and it took me six months to land a job.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:17 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Scripps Health. Actively recruiting for RN's in your area. 4 hospitals from small (Encinitas) to large Mercy. Scripps is non union pays well and is very busy.
UCSD. Teaching. Large and varied. 2 campuses 1 la jolla and 1 hillcrest. application process is a phd paper.
Kaiser 1 Hospital HMO not particularly well thought of but has the model to encourage applications. Highest pay.
Sharp. 3 or 4 hospitals. Grossmont is largest. Good model. excellent MD/RN
Alvarado. I would avoid at all costs. Poor care.
Tri City. District hospital Low income clients. Adequate care
Palomar. New hospital in Escondido. also a district hospital. Trauma for north county.
Rady's. Childrens' Only game in town for kids. World famous.

I lived in Sabre Springs which gave me equal access to North, South and West. Good to consider until you get the job.

Bear in mind that SD is very competitive. Now is the best time to apply. If you can live and work registry after you get your CA license that would work. UCSD is the busiest for registry rarely cancels. Pacifc Coast Healthcare. Ask for Stafford of Josh. They are small best organized and pay is good. If you know trauma Scripps Mercy, Scripps La Jolla, UCSD and Palomar are your trauma centers. UCSD and La Jolla are level 1's. Burn in UCSD and kids is Rady's. Wait for the license would be my advice. I have 20 years ICU and it took me six months to land a job.
Great Post1
Repped
She hasn't came back in a couple of days. I imagine that the trauma unit in Chicago stays pretty busy.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,843 times
Thank you so much to everyone who has replied! I really appreciate all of the insight.

WindyCityRN...having that pay scale as a reference is great help for COL differences

Snpdragr...I did drive around the North Park and surrounding areas a bit, but can obviously only tell so much from that so thank you for giving me a better idea.
I am torn between doing travel nursing so I can get a true feel of the area or just making the leap and packing up everything. Pay will certainly be a factor in what neighborhood.

AADAD...thanks for the summary of the area facilities

PSYCHMD...thank you for confirming there are step-down units. I'm not sure I could go to a med-surg. floor again

Earlier this week it was a low of 35 degrees here in Chicago...in MAY!! Needless to say, I do love the practically year-round beautiful weather of San Diego

Any additional thoughts/opinions are still welcome as I continue my research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego