Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 12:37 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Southern California near the coast.

I paid 150 grand in 98 for a house made in 1965 for 20 grand. During that entire time the value of the house (estimated) went down slightly during 2012. Every other year it either went up a lot or held it's value. Pretty easy to figure out RE in SoCal coastal.
...and you still have people matter of factly stating things like, "well, if you wait 18 months, these prices are not sustainable, etc."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 05:39 PM

148 posts, read 104,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Backing off a bit on your original prediction from 5 years ago and now doubling down I see?

Now if you said this in the early 2000’s when everyone and their dog could get a mortgage, and there was a ton of inventory I’d give it some credence? Yeah maybe there’s some panic buying out of the fear of missing out right now, but that’s hardly what’s going on. There’s just not a lot of inventory so you have a lot of people all vying for the same properties. Not to mention interest rates are probably as low as they’ll ever be moving forward.

I personally know six people (some couples) that have bought within the past year or so.

One moved up to a larger home once they started, and learned, they’ll both be working from moving forward and realized they want/need more space.

One had a second child unexpectedly on the way and needed a third bedroom ASAP.

Two were first time buyers. Of those two, one came into some money and could finally buy, and one stretched themself thin. But both told me the time had come once they did the math and realized buying wasn’t much more than renting all things considered.

And two bought second homes for pleasure and to Airbnb in the mountains. One in Big Bear, and one in Mammoth.
The supply issue should revert to the mean at some point. A lot of that was due to eviction/mortgage moratoriums. I do think new SFHs are likely to be constructed on a limited basis moving forward.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:25 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
...and you still have people matter of factly stating things like, "well, if you wait 18 months, these prices are not sustainable, etc."
Those people just better hope the next 18 months are drastically different than this month. Which of course it will be, but still.
[IMG][/IMG]

Can you imagine an almost 24% jump in one month?! This is for a property down the street from me, mine is "only" a 16% jump of $210k in the last 30 days. I know these zestimates are somewhat dubious at best, especially in a small historic neighborhood like this where literally every property is different but still they are based on real data being plugged into their algorithm. Scary!

Old 05-27-2021, 07:54 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Wow, that's quite the appreciation!

Old 05-27-2021, 08:09 PM

148 posts, read 104,900 times
Have we seen the "bottom" in months of supply of existing homes?
Attached Thumbnails
San Diego bubble 2.0 for 2016-us-existing-home-sales-2021-05  

Old 05-27-2021, 08:42 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frac View Post
Have we seen the "bottom" in months of supply of existing homes?
Unless people decide to start selling their homes it appears not.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Those people just better hope the next 18 months are drastically different than this month. Which of course it will be, but still.
[IMG][/IMG]

Can you imagine an almost 24% jump in one month?! This is for a property down the street from me, mine is "only" a 16% jump of $210k in the last 30 days. I know these zestimates are somewhat dubious at best, especially in a small historic neighborhood like this where literally every property is different but still they are based on real data being plugged into their algorithm. Scary!
I just closed on a place five weeks ago, have yet to make the first payment and valuation has jumped about %4 on Redfin.

I don't take these estimates very seriously, nor do I buy into all the "this market is INSANE" mantra that everyone wants to think in seemingly all 50 states.

Its really simple-southern California coast has pretty much objectively perfect weather and is anchored by a global economic mega-region. There's nowhere else on earth where those two things coincide quite like the way they do here.

The prices aren't coming down, and they probably have more room to go up in San Diego than anywhere else on the west coast.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:01 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I just closed on a place five weeks ago, have yet to make the first payment and valuation has jumped about %4 on Redfin.

I don't take these estimates very seriously, nor do I buy into all the "this market is INSANE" mantra that everyone wants to think in seemingly all 50 states.

Its really simple-southern California coast has pretty much objectively perfect weather and is anchored by a global economic mega-region. There's nowhere else on earth where those two things coincide quite like the way they do here.

The prices aren't coming down, and they probably have more room to go up in San Diego than anywhere else on the west coast.
Congrats.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:56 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
La Mesa is the “coast?”
Attached Thumbnails
San Diego bubble 2.0 for 2016-610cd7c5-177e-464d-a39c-2f98cfd56852.jpeg  

Old 05-28-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Congrats.
Thank you.

Couldn't have happened if I hadn't took some risk by buying the only small, run down condo that no one wanted with a VA loan in Point Loma 5 and a half years ago. Of course I was authoritatively told I had "paid too much" then, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego