Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In my experience where you went to school doesn't matter as much as the fact that you did. Most employers require a degree. Now, most want it from a brick and mortar institute but don't really care where it is from.
How true this is and so many people put so much into the name or reputation of the school. Maybe a huge law firm in NH might want all the young lawyers to have an Ivy League degree or some companies looking for that "Stanford" degree, but where most of us went to school has little to do with where we land our first jobs or how far we go in our careers. I don't think any future company cares whether one got rejected from a university entrance and that is why they ended up graduating from another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 07:11 PM

480 posts, read 418,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Believe it or not, college is meant to give young people a true, well rounded education. That includes more than just a degree in his/her chosen field. Sports is something that offers this and builds a feeling of pride in your school. No, not everyone is a sports fan, but every well rounded person needs to enjoy something fun, away from the books. The same goes for a social life: Sounds like you consider book learning the only reason to go to college, others consider it a chance to grow and learn; different strokes for different folks.
I disagree. Sport is sports. Has nothing to do with growing and learning. In college campuses, grow and learn is often used as a misnomer for let's party.

Academic knowledge, learning, improving curiosity to learn and grades should be the first priority. It's about prioritizing. This well rounded life in many cases comes at the cost of poor GPA. Extra curricular activities are fine but if someone is using "sports" as an excuse to f up their GPA, well.. that's just sad.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
guess those rejects learned something, if SDSU rates 16th in the nation in CEO grads.
Not all universities are equal. There is a ranking based on quality of education and research productivity. There is a reason community college grads do poorly than Yale or Harvard grads in general. Of course there are outliers and exceptions. But that's not the norm.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeCalifornia View Post
No, UCSD rejects will probably go to UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside or even UC Merced. There is a huge ranking gap between UCSD and SDSU. SDSU isn't most people's backup for not getting into UCSD.

Asking almost any subjective question on City Data is a waste of time because all of the hometown defenders with over 50,000 posts will crawl out of the woodwork to give you a "rose tinted glasses" view.

Here are the facts:
UCSD Ranking: 39.
SDSU Ranking: 149

Anything else is just opinion. And no, I didn't go to UCSD. Like I said, I think SDSU is an "OK" school, and there are a lot of successful people who went there. But those people are now often in their 40s, 50s or 60s. I wonder if a SDSU degree will still open the same doors now that San Diego attracts more national and international talent. That same SDSU grad who is only 22 today is competing with a much larger swatch of the population.
Finally.. a sensible reply. Everyone thinks I am bashing SDSU but that's not the case. UCSD is in a completely different league than SDSU and it irks me that sports and well rounded experience are used as excuses for a poor GPA.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Finally.. a sensible reply. Everyone thinks I am bashing SDSU but that's not the case. UCSD is in a completely different league than SDSU and it irks me that sports and well rounded experience are used as excuses for a poor GPA.
Actually, since you mention GPA, the average GPA of admitted students to SDSU last year was 3.78. That's hardly "slacker" territory like you are implying. UCSD's average GPA of admitted students was 4.13. Both schools use the same GPA calculation -- only grades in 10 and 11 grade in the a-g courses (i.e., core academics) counted in the GPA with up to 8 extra points given for AP/honors courses in the GPA calculation. So, basically, the UCSD admitted students took a couple of extra AP/honors courses in 10 and 11th grade. Other than that, not a huge difference in GPAs.

Again, these are both great schools, and talented students can get a terrific education at either one. In certain areas of study, one of the schools may have a stronger program than the other, but there is no reason for anyone to feel that either school is "lesser" than the others. If you are there to get a great education, you can reach that goal at either school.

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-12-2016 at 08:30 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 12:49 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
I agree with myself all the time
I may even start another account on CD so I can follow myself around and Rep myself.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Actually, since you mention GPA, the average GPA of admitted students to SDSU last year was 3.78. That's hardly "slacker" territory like you are implying. UCSD's average GPA of admitted students was 4.13. Both schools use the same GPA calculation -- only grades in 10 and 11 grade in the a-g courses (i.e., core academics) counted in the GPA with up to 8 extra points given for AP/honors courses in the GPA calculation. So, basically, the UCSD admitted students took a couple of extra AP/honors courses in 10 and 11th grade. Other than that, not a huge difference in GPAs.

Again, these are both great schools, and talented students can get a terrific education at either one. In certain areas of study, one of the schools may have a stronger program than the other, but there is no reason for anyone to feel that either school is "lesser" than the others. If you are there to get a great education, you can reach that goal at either school.
Of course SDSU is sub par compared to UCSD in several programs. And I was talking about GPA after you enter college. You need to distinguish facts from emotions and opinions. Facts are facts. Opinion is just that opinion. Everyone has one. It don't matter unless it is substantiated by research $ expense and productivity as reported in usnews.com.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I agree with myself all the time
I may even start another account on CD so I can follow myself around and Rep myself.
That's better than being in denial.

You are not making sense right now. But then.. I am not surprised.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:05 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Of course SDSU is sub par compared to UCSD in several programs. And I was talking about GPA after you enter college. You need to distinguish facts from emotions and opinions. Facts are facts. Opinion is just that opinion. Everyone has one. It don't matter unless it is substantiated by research $ expense and productivity as reported in usnews.com.
So what is the GPA between the 2 schools after enrollment
All you keep saying is, state is Sub par compared to UCSD blah! blah!
You quote a couple of articles but you don't back up your ridiculous statement.
Why is State Sub Par compared to UCSD and back it up with facts on what programs are sub par?

Old 06-14-2016, 05:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
I disagree. Sport is sports. Has nothing to do with growing and learning. In college campuses, grow and learn is often used as a misnomer for let's party.

Academic knowledge, learning, improving curiosity to learn and grades should be the first priority. It's about prioritizing. This well rounded life in many cases comes at the cost of poor GPA. Extra curricular activities are fine but if someone is using "sports" as an excuse to f up their GPA, well.. that's just sad.
I am not using bad GPAs for anything, nor do I think kids with low GPAs should be on the football, baseball etc teams Did I say that anywhere, but I do think sports plays a part and I will continue to think that. You can defend UCSD all you want, that is your choice, and I will continue to believe there are a lot or reasons for spending time in college and a lot of ways to grow, mature and learn. The 4 or so years young people spend in college prepares them for life period, not simply a career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego