Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:42 AM

9,808 posts, read 11,060,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I do wonder about this question. It appears Oceanside is now becoming controlled by those with progressive agenda ordinance happy folks. Despite being the gateway of Camp Pendleton. Pretty much every coastal town in SD county except for Carlsbad now leans to the left in city council makeup and policy(ordinance) writing just like other coastal parts of the state. It appears nowadays San Diego is not nearly as conservative stronghold as Orange County where progressive brainwashed city politicians will still be pushed out of their position of power by the next election. Instead it is becoming like other more "progressive controlled" parts of the state where politicians that were conservative(not necessary Republican) in passing new laws pushed by busybodies such as the fad legislation pushed by liberal progressive busybodies around the state forcing grocers and certain retailers to charge a fee on non banned carryout bags are always replaced with an ordinance happy majority by the next election that would quickly pass the new ordinance.
It appears Orange County is among the last places in the state where one can live by the coast without everything being banned by city ordinances.
I do hope the inland cities of SD county would stay conservative in passing new ordinances as with the rest of SoCal.
OC Republican registration now shows at 40%, 39.7 to be exact. More in OC are independents here.http://m.ocregister.com/articles/cou...emocratic.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 09:03 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,263,126 times
It appears OC is among the last places in this state where city councils think before jumping on a special interest driven bandwagen. I guess the number of independents are probably the reason that we can still find cities in the Greater Los Angeles and Orange County areas that do not act like they need to jump on every special interest bandwagon they can. I.e ban on certain food or drinks, on the use and charging of certain checkout bags, certain bottles, state approved fireworks(they turned a proposed ban down this year), wood burning devices(bye bye beach fire rings), smoking at home, etc etc.
Though I am surprised that Santa Ana, despite being a democrat majority city with an all democrat council makeup just doesn't jump on most neo progressive bandwagon ordinances, in fact the city ranks towards the conservative side according to
https://www.crowdpac.com/games/looku...ta%20Ana,%20CA

Alas in San Diego County not only San Diego but the town of Oceanside despite being the gate way of Camp Pendleton is really becoming another San Francisco or should I say Ban Francisco. I would not be surprised if beach side fire rings will be banned and removed by next year. As starting on Wednesday the liberal majority council just voted to enact the toughest ordinance on carryout bags of anywhere in SoCal. Based on the proposal starting 2018 the ban would resemble the one they have San Francisco affecting even restaurants, temporary vendors, and food trucks. Most of Socal such as Los Angeles city, unincorporated county, such ordinances only target stores selling groceries which is similar to SB270. I am very surprised and annoyed why they cannot just wait 90 days for the results of the state ban vote before taking or not taking action. I mean this cost the city council time and a lot of city funds which could turn out unnecessary. I mean if the voters approve SB270 in November all that spending would go to waste as the state law would supersede the city ordinance, and if they vote it down this means the people disapprove the ban. In that case I bet a if a more conservative thinking council majority goes into office the ban is likely to be overturned just like in Huntington Beach.

Though I also believe that restrictive voting practices set by the Republican party puts them at disadvantage. Nowadays its impossible for an independent to vote for an republican candidate unless they register as republicans but the Democrat party does not have such restriction. Therefore Independents cannot vote for a republican presidential candidate but they could for a Democrat Candidate. I guess if republicans allow independents to vote for them they would have a better chance of winning.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:37 PM

919 posts, read 783,865 times
Quote:
Nowadays its impossible for an independent to vote for an republican candidate unless they register as republicans but the Democrat party does not have such restriction. Therefore Independents cannot vote for a republican presidential candidate but they could for a Democrat Candidate.
Wow, don't know where you got that from (Trump?) But you might do a little fact checking. Republicans are known to try to limit peoples right to vote, but not these people

Old 08-13-2016, 05:26 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,745,107 times
Although I lean liberal, I am getting sick and tired of our politicians wanting to implement bans for every little damn thing now. We are becoming more controlled as well and a state that has regressive strict policies. The whole plastic bag ban is a joke, and all about money in many ways rather than being environmentally caring, as the grocery stores can start charging customers for each bag used. $$$$

Well what about small plastic trash bags? Or small paper bags sold in stores? They can also lead to coastal pollution, why not just ban those as well?

We are getting to a point in this state, and city/county, where laws are being passed that just make it that much harder to live in this state, or new laws being passed and rules that basically take the fun out of our quality of life.

I totally miss bonfires at the beach, that was one of the best things I loved when going with a group of friends was to enjoy a nice fire, some beer and s'mores on a Friday night in PB or MB. But not anymore, SD has become uptight, and paranoid. This is the future of this place unfortunately.

I am waiting for what will be the next big "P.I.S.S off" as in "it's just going to P.I.S.S. everyone off" rule.

Let me guess, a complete ban of free parking in downtown SD? Parking meters on every single street now?

A ban on street/freeway lighting and billboards because "Oh because light pollution harms wildlife, and billboards are an eyesore, plus and we don't want to upset all the million dollar homeowners off the 5 either".

And what about driver safety if they cannot see properly on what is far away in front of them or that a car that is broken down on the side of the freeway?

The 125 North going to Santee where the freeway ends is a perfect example of this town living in the past as it refuses to install any kind of lighting off to the side. If someone's headlights aren't that great, it could easily mean a life or death situation for the person that is stranded on the shoulder because you can barely anything at night on that stretch of roadway.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:38 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,263,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Although I lean liberal, I am getting sick and tired of our politicians wanting to implement bans for every little damn thing now. We are becoming more controlled as well and a state that has regressive strict policies. The whole plastic bag ban is a joke, and all about money in many ways rather than being environmentally caring, as the grocery stores can start charging customers for each bag used. $$$$

Well what about small plastic trash bags? Or small paper bags sold in stores? They can also lead to coastal pollution, why not just ban those as well?

We are getting to a point in this state, and city/county, where laws are being passed that just make it that much harder to live in this state, or new laws being passed and rules that basically take the fun out of our quality of life.

I totally miss bonfires at the beach, that was one of the best things I loved when going with a group of friends was to enjoy a nice fire, some beer and s'mores on a Friday night in PB or MB. But not anymore, SD has become uptight, and paranoid. This is the future of this place unfortunately.

I am waiting for what will be the next big "P.I.S.S off" as in "it's just going to P.I.S.S. everyone off" rule.

Let me guess, a complete ban of free parking in downtown SD? Parking meters on every single street now?

A ban on street/freeway lighting and billboards because "Oh because light pollution harms wildlife, and billboards are an eyesore, plus and we don't want to upset all the million dollar homeowners off the 5 either".

And what about driver safety if they cannot see properly on what is far away in front of them or that a car that is broken down on the side of the freeway?

The 125 North going to Santee where the freeway ends is a perfect example of this town living in the past as it refuses to install any kind of lighting off to the side. If someone's headlights aren't that great, it could easily mean a life or death situation for the person that is stranded on the shoulder because you can barely anything at night on that stretch of roadway.
I totally agree and couldn't agree more as what you wrote is what I think about all the time. Why real issues facing the people are ignored while busybodies keeps turning relative non issues into major issues?

I just hope San Diego and Oceanside and some other coastal cities can be turned around in the November election just like with Huntington Beach and repeal the bad laws and not make more. I am highly confident that SB270 would be overturned with Prop 67 vote this November. While I am unaware if this would have teeth on future local or state action on similar matters. Though I hope the newly elected council members of these cities learn the results of the election within their city limits and repeal their own versions if its obvious that against the will of the majority of their voters. And that we have a council majority in those cities that is not pro radical neo liberal ordinance happy do gooder busybodies. Nor act like poppets/pawns of such groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego