Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 07:15 PM

216 posts, read 258,392 times

Advertisements

In escrow on a small one bedroom condo, inspection revealed the kitchen and bathroom sinks are clogged and that there is substantial water damage below the kitchen sink. I'd like to get a free estimate if possible, from my understanding this isn't common in the plumbing world like it is with contractors. I have a feeling that most of them are going to feel it's a waste time since I just want an estimate for now although I'll probably end up using them for the job assuming I proceed with it.

Rather than call every plumber on yelp, does anyone have any recommendations - preferably one that can come out same or next day and are confident their pricing is competitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 08:50 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
In addition to a plumber, I'd recommend getting a mold inspection if you see visible water damage. You don't want to mess with mold and it isn't always visible on the front side of walls.

Where in the county is the condo located? No sense someone recommending a plumber in Oceanside if the place is in Chula Vista.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:06 PM

216 posts, read 258,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
In addition to a plumber, I'd recommend getting a mold inspection if you see visible water damage. You don't want to mess with mold and it isn't always visible on the front side of walls.

Where in the county is the condo located? No sense someone recommending a plumber in Oceanside if the place is in Chula Vista.
East SD (Oak Park/College Grove). I'm guessing I'll need a special mold inspector because a plumber won't be able to diagnose the mold? Anyone have recommendations for that?

Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Some plumbers might be willing to apply the cost of the service call to the repairs if you have the work done by them -- Optionally, do you know any good handy men or contractors (perhaps a builder) who might give you an estimate -- (Escrow? - Do you have a home inspector?) --- How about keeping an eye open for a plumber already in another unit at the condo?

Otherwise, as you pointed out, most are busy on paying jobs and may be willing to give you a phone estimate, if you can roughly describe the work. You are seeking a skilled service and should expect to pay something.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:39 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
You might try asking your real estate agent, or the inspector who did your inspection who he/she would recommend. Escrow companies can sometimes make recommendations too.
They should also be able to give you a lead on a reliable mold remediation company. (Plumbers can often give you recommendations on mold remediation companies too).

Good luck!

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-20-2016 at 09:54 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 05:48 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Bairds plumbing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego