Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:25 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
As far as culture & activities for your little boy, what are you thinking of?

I ask because DH & I considered re-locating back to SA and thought it would be a good place to raise our children. When I think "culture" I think of the symphony, the opera, the ballet and plays/touring Broadway productions. While in SA, I worked for the SA Symphony so I had a lot of that going on in my life & knew that going back there, I could link back to resources at the Symphony & Majestic to make sure our children had that kind of exposure. It's not much different here (although the symphony is probably more stable in SD these days).

SA definitely has more in terms of fiestas and it seems like the whole city embraces the spring FIESTA celebration & its Mexican heritage. I don't get the same vibe here at all. And LOL - it's a lot cheaper to outfit your home with Mexican flair in SA than SD. You wouldn't believe the difference in prices for serapes and Mexican tin ornaments & such. It's easily 2-3x more here in SD!

NYC will not be any more affordable than SD unfortunately. I'd guess more expensive (especially if you live IN the city). However, you will get quite the exposure to culture & activities - from the visual/musical variety to all the fabulous museums the city has to offer.
As far as cultures, I mean diversity and arts and all that rolled into one. I took him to NYC a couple of months ago and we had such a great time eating all the different ethnic foods. The museums in NYC are fantastic as are the Broadway and off-Broadway shows. Nothing in SA can touch that. No offense to anyone really, but I don't at all dig the Mexican flair. I'm not hispanic so while the culture doesn't bother me, I don't embrace it and I never participate in any fiesta events.

From looking online, I have to disagree with you in terms of cost of living to an extent. I have found apartments in Brooklyn (good nabes too) to be around $1500-1800 and I'd save an additional $500 a month b/c in NY, I'd ditch the car. So in that aspect, NYC is cheaper for the car reason alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 05:20 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
As far as cultures, I mean diversity and arts and all that rolled into one. I took him to NYC a couple of months ago and we had such a great time eating all the different ethnic foods. The museums in NYC are fantastic as are the Broadway and off-Broadway shows. Nothing in SA can touch that. No offense to anyone really, but I don't at all dig the Mexican flair. I'm not hispanic so while the culture doesn't bother me, I don't embrace it and I never participate in any fiesta events.

From looking online, I have to disagree with you in terms of cost of living to an extent. I have found apartments in Brooklyn (good nabes too) to be around $1500-1800 and I'd save an additional $500 a month b/c in NY, I'd ditch the car. So in that aspect, NYC is cheaper for the car reason alone.
Yes - you're right - as far as diversity, cultural arts - nothing compares to NYC. I grew up there.

As for rent, I was referring to if you lived in Manhattan. That's great you found apts in Brooklyn for that little - frankly, I'm surprised. And yes - you would save quite a bit not having car payments, insurance or gas to buy.

If you loved the atmosphere in NYC, you might be very disappointed in what SD has to offer. I really like living in SD but it falls well short of NYC standards in terms of the cultural arts, diversity, ethnic foods, shopping, etc...so if that's what you're looking for, you might want to set your sights on NYC or even San Francisco.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Yes - you're right - as far as diversity, cultural arts - nothing compares to NYC. I grew up there.

As for rent, I was referring to if you lived in Manhattan. That's great you found apts in Brooklyn for that little - frankly, I'm surprised. And yes - you would save quite a bit not having car payments, insurance or gas to buy.

If you loved the atmosphere in NYC, you might be very disappointed in what SD has to offer. I really like living in SD but it falls well short of NYC standards in terms of the cultural arts, diversity, ethnic foods, shopping, etc...so if that's what you're looking for, you might want to set your sights on NYC or even San Francisco.
Yeah, Manhattan specifically trumps CA or most of the US for that matter, but I know there's no way I could afford Manhattan. Unless you live in a trendy neighborhood like Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg, or even Astoria in Queens, the neighborhoods with a longer commute of course are much cheaper and yes I know someone who pays $1200 for a two bedroom and the apt. above him just rented for $1400. It can definitely be done, but of course if you want to live in a "hipster" area, you will dearly pay. My main concern with NYC is safety for my son. As someone who grew up there, I'm sure you can understand. My fear is the schools there for him...

Old 02-22-2008, 10:30 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
I've considered moving back to CA from TX, but have reservations about the cost of living. To Lookingtoleave, I wish you the very best. I do think safety for your son is important. And I'm really glad that you are going to expose him to another part of the country. Remember that, wherever you decide to move, your son will assimilate the values and feel of that place. How do you want your son to move and think? What kind of health habits would you want him to develop? White bread vs. vegetarian/healthy? Homely vs hip? These are very important choices. San Antonio and San Diego could not be more polar opposites along several dimensions.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:30 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,456,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
How do you want your son to move and think? What kind of health habits would you want him to develop? White bread vs. vegetarian/healthy? Homely vs hip? These are very important choices. San Antonio and San Diego could not be more polar opposites along several dimensions.
True that San Antonio and San Diego are polar opposites, but each has it positives AND negatives. Health habits are developed in the home, not by society. Whether someone is homely or hip is of no consequence, if they are shallow in their perspective of other people and places.

It's not enough that you trash San Antonio on that forum, you have to come elsewhere to do the same. If you are the result of a vegetarian/healthy, hip environment, give me white bread, homely any day!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:38 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
I'm not doing anything to San Antonio. On the contrary, living in the San Antonio vibe has trashed ME!

I think a parent, if given the choice, would very much desire to raise his and/or her child in the most culturally stimulating place possible. Hipness and homeliness are, in part, outward manifestations of that. Yes, there are plusses and minuses to each place.

Last edited by hello13685; 02-24-2008 at 08:49 PM..

Old 02-24-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I'm not doing anything to San Antonio. On the contrary, living in the San Antonio vibe has trashed ME!

I think a parent, if given the choice, would very much desire to raise his and/or her child in the most culturally stimulating place possible. Hipness and homeliness are, in part, outward manifestations of that. Yes, there are plusses and minuses to each place.
Sorry to say, but I am kinda feeling you on that one. This place and so many things about this city drive me nuts. Now don't get me wrong, it's not by any means the worse city on earth to live and I've been in places where I couldn't wait to get home to SA, but then on the other hand I go visit great cities like SD or NYC (will be in Seattle this summer) and then you see how much SA is lacking. SA has great people, but that's about all I'll miss besides the cheap cost of living, but then again, you get what you pay for.

As far as my child is concerned, I do think it's important to instill in him that with life comes change. Not only that, but he needs to know he should never have to settle, nor should I. I also don't want to teach him to live in a "what if" state of mind. As always, with the good comes the bad. With that being said, I need to have him somewhere where he can thrive safely. If I knew I could make it in NYC and his safety was guaranteed, I'd be there by the end of the year w/o a doubt.

I completely agree 100% with you hello, SA is not culturally stimulating and I love diversity and I really want him to experience that as well. It's not insulting, it's just honesty. Hipness and homeliness have nothing to do with it.

Last edited by LookingtoLeave; 02-24-2008 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-26-2008, 12:51 AM

70 posts, read 300,943 times
I picked up and moved from Texas late last year. I was raised in Austin, but have lived in all the other texas cities.

Since im not trying to buy a house, i didnt notice a sticker shock. Bananas are more expensive here but other than that its the same. I paid more for a studio in dallas than my place here and i live in del mar, right by the ocean.

I think everyone blows the whole 'CA IS SO SUPER EXPENSIVE' thing out of proportion. I spend less per month in expenses than I did living in Texas.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhi View Post
I picked up and moved from Texas late last year. I was raised in Austin, but have lived in all the other texas cities.

Since im not trying to buy a house, i didnt notice a sticker shock. Bananas are more expensive here but other than that its the same. I paid more for a studio in dallas than my place here and i live in del mar, right by the ocean.

I think everyone blows the whole 'CA IS SO SUPER EXPENSIVE' thing out of proportion. I spend less per month in expenses than I did living in Texas.
I love Austin and if I ever move back to TX that's where I'd like to go. And I've heard the same thing from other home owners. I only rent, but they've said the electric and property taxes were more in TX so even though it cost more to buy the home, it evened out in the end. Maybe one day I'll know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego