Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:10 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times

Advertisements

^^ Agreed, more practical shopping options are still needed downtown with as many people that live there nowadays. When I lived in DTSD from 2003-2006, the shopping options for the basics were terrible. There was a Ralph's and a few independent markets here and there and that was about it, I would wind up doing most of my basics shopping in Mission Valley. Now at least there is also a Jimbo's and Alberstsons downtown and just outside of DTSD is a WalMart Neighborhood Market and Mercado Northgate.

A Target or City Target would be much more practical versus Nordstroms or other department stores which one living downtown might visit only 3 or 4 times per year.

Basics first, luxury is secondary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 10:41 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Maybe a Target will have greater success when Horton Plaza is redeveloped...It's some developers (includes one of the Jacobs' sons--who owns and renovated the now posh Rancho Valencia Resort) and city planners who are talking about "high end" retailers coming to downtown, especially as part of a revamped Seaport Village. I don't see it, but who knows...and speaking of Horton Plaza, I am not exactly overwhelmed with the new Plaza/Park--seems like a poor man's version of SF's Union Square plaza square. If I'm wrong, can someone explain what I'm missing in this new plaza??

Old 06-25-2016, 10:43 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I am not exactly overwhelmed with the new Plaza/Park--seems like a poor man's version of SF's Union Square.
I thought the same thing when I saw it in person a couple of weeks ago, well except the "poor mans" part. To me it was very akin to a small Union Square.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:53 PM

Smaller version yet not the fancy stores (Saks, a full blown Macy's, Bloomingdales, Barneys, etc) surrounding it as in SF and much less foot traffic.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-25-2016 at 11:05 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 11:20 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Maybe a Target will have greater success when Horton Plaza is redeveloped...It's some developers (includes one of the Jacobs' sons--who owns and renovated the now posh Rancho Valencia Resort) and city planners who are talking about "high end" retailers coming to downtown, especially as part of a revamped Seaport Village. I don't see it, but who knows...and speaking of Horton Plaza, I am not exactly overwhelmed with the new Plaza/Park--seems like a poor man's version of SF's Union Square plaza square. If I'm wrong, can someone explain what I'm missing in this new plaza??
I can't imagine the "new" Seaport Village ever becoming high end. The Manchester development definitely has a greater chance of becoming an upscale destination since the development is suppose to include a 5 star hotel.....Mandarin Oriental? St. Regis? Four Seasons? Any one of those would do.

On the subject of high end, I'm hoping the Ritz Carlton/Whole Foods development on Market breaks ground before the next development bust. And since The Pendry in the Gaslamp is part of the Montage group, I'm hoping it's as luxurious as their resort properties.

And I'm totally with you on the new Horton Plaza Park. While it's definitely an improvement, it still lacking something. Is it the lack or trees? Art? I'm hoping it gets better with time.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:22 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ Agreed, more practical shopping options are still needed downtown with as many people that live there nowadays. When I lived in DTSD from 2003-2006, the shopping options for the basics were terrible. There was a Ralph's and a few independent markets here and there and that was about it, I would wind up doing most of my basics shopping in Mission Valley. Now at least there is also a Jimbo's and Alberstsons downtown and just outside of DTSD is a WalMart Neighborhood Market and Mercado Northgate.

A Target or City Target would be much more practical versus Nordstroms or other department stores which one living downtown might visit only 3 or 4 times per year.

Basics first, luxury is secondary.
Yeah, a Target would be great and throw in a Trader Joe's, as well.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:42 PM

I remain skeptical about high end succeeding at Seaport Village, but would welcome it and a 5 star hotel--which would also increase the hotel possibly hosting an outpost restaurant from a chef who receives acclaim based on the caliber of their food, not because they appear on a TV show or have a nice collection of hats (i.e. Jean-Georges, Michael Mina, Jose Andres, etc.)....The Ritz (even a toned down, boutique version) and Whole Foods are great. Supposedly, Equinox is looking at the space at The Westgate--there was a previous attempt by the former owner of Broadway Athletic Club to develop a gym there but it ended up in litigation and never materialized.

I really like what they have done at the Broadway Pier with the new Carnitas Snack Shack, etc food area. That is a proven successful formula in San Diego--casual, laid back, less expensive.

Re: Horton Plaza Park--they spent an awful lot of money to move around concrete to basically offer a Starbucks and ice cream kiosk. I am hoping there is more to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I can't imagine the "new" Seaport Village ever becoming high end. The Manchester development definitely has a greater chance of becoming an upscale destination since the development is suppose to include a 5 star hotel.....Mandarin Oriental? St. Regis? Four Seasons? Any one of those would do.

On the subject of high end, I'm hoping the Ritz Carlton/Whole Foods development on Market breaks ground before the next development bust. And since The Pendry in the Gaslamp is part of the Montage group, I'm hoping it's as luxurious as their resort properties.

And I'm totally with you on the new Horton Plaza Park. While it's definitely an improvement, it still lacking something. Is it the lack or trees? Art? I'm hoping it gets better with time.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:48 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It is a good place to park for "free" after a quick stop at Jimbo's.
No more free validation or free parking is offered at Horton's Plaza.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:56 PM

401 posts, read 444,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
No more free validation or free parking is offered at Horton's Plaza.
They still offer 1 hr. for quick trips: https://www.westfield.com/hortonplaz...o/getting-here

Parking
Westfield Horton Plaza's parking garage is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

5AM – 8PM

1 hour free

$2.00 per 15 minutes

Select retailers offer extended validation inside their locations.

8PM – 5AM

Evening flat rate

Sunday – Wednesday $10

Thursday – Sunday $20

Vehicles must enter after 8PM and depart prior to 5AM for evening flat rate.

Lost Ticket | Daily Max $48

Old 08-07-2016, 08:04 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Is Tiffany & Co still there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego