Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:30 AM

5 posts, read 4,185 times

Advertisements

I have lived in O.B. for 25 years but am getting priced out. I rarely head east of the 8 except for work.

Could y'all please recommend other neighborhoods to check out? I live alone and often walk my dog, an Australian a Shepherd, at night around 10p.m. I have a 2013 car that I'd rather not have broken into. My job requires I come and go frequently during the day so on street parking is important if I don't have a designated spot. I love the walkability of Ocean Beach and a similar "village" atmosphere would be great.

City Heights seems affordable but I've heard only bad things about crime and lack of safety. Thoughts?

Normal Heights, Hillcrest, North Park? I need a new home in October so have time to check out neighborhoods and would appreciate some guidance.

Again, I have a dog, non-negotiable

Thank you for ant informed advice you share. Peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 01:30 AM

249 posts, read 283,912 times
Over on cypress ave in hillcrest there was a one bedroom for rent in my complex. Not sure if it's about to be rented or not due to it being the beginning of the month and this is hillcrest. The rent is $1050 one bedroom park and cypress is the intersection. Small complex great neighbors a nice pool and shade. May want to check it out if it's not too late.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:11 AM

9,826 posts, read 11,584,165 times
$1100 budget is going to real tough.
Logan Heights maybe Shelltown and some parts of city Heights. I would say El Cajon city but even the seedy parts are now $1300.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:12 AM

27 posts, read 39,941 times
Northpark

Old 06-27-2016, 12:16 PM

212 posts, read 195,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJoanie View Post
I have lived in O.B. for 25 years but am getting priced out. I rarely head east of the 8 except for work.

Could y'all please recommend other neighborhoods to check out? I live alone and often walk my dog, an Australian a Shepherd, at night around 10p.m. I have a 2013 car that I'd rather not have broken into. My job requires I come and go frequently during the day so on street parking is important if I don't have a designated spot. I love the walkability of Ocean Beach and a similar "village" atmosphere would be great.

City Heights seems affordable but I've heard only bad things about crime and lack of safety. Thoughts?

Normal Heights, Hillcrest, North Park? I need a new home in October so have time to check out neighborhoods and would appreciate some guidance.

Again, I have a dog, non-negotiable

Thank you for ant informed advice you share. Peace!

These sorts of posts tend to worry me. I rent for under $1000 in a fantastic neighborhood. I couldn't be happier, but I rent from a private landlord (not a management company) and I've been told that they are thinking of selling their properties and there will be no more tenancies if that is the case. After a quick check, I am gutted when I see what comparable units in my area are going for now - $1400 and up!!! How did this happen in just two years? I have a great studio flat, but it isn't worth $1400 a month. I fear that my fate might be going from independent living alone to renting some closet in someone else's house just to remain near my job here in San Diego. Days like this, I want to move out of state altogether.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:37 AM

5 posts, read 4,185 times
Girl Friday, I feel ya! I'm renting from a private LL as well, but her ex (and co-owner) is moving into my house. I currently pay $1100 for a studio with all utilities, wi-Fi, catv, nice yard, garage, 1 block from Sunset Cliffs in great neighborhood...oh well, it was nice while it lasted

Two years ago my apt complex sold, the new owners gave us all (6 units) 60 Day Notice that rent was increasing from $950 to $1350 (one bedrooms one block from beach with designated parking). We all moved out and every unit was quickly filled at the higher price. I get that many people want to live at the beach. It's just sad that so many of us long term residents are having to leave. I don't just "want to live at the beach". I want to stay in the area that's been my home for 25 years! Ç'est la vie.

So yes, it seems we may become closet dwellers. Or perhaps there are still lucky situations to be found! "Thoughts and Prayers" (ha ha) �� Peace!

Old 06-28-2016, 07:31 AM

212 posts, read 195,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJoanie View Post
Girl Friday, I feel ya! I'm renting from a private LL as well, but her ex (and co-owner) is moving into my house. I currently pay $1100 for a studio with all utilities, wi-Fi, catv, nice yard, garage, 1 block from Sunset Cliffs in great neighborhood...oh well, it was nice while it lasted

Two years ago my apt complex sold, the new owners gave us all (6 units) 60 Day Notice that rent was increasing from $950 to $1350 (one bedrooms one block from beach with designated parking). We all moved out and every unit was quickly filled at the higher price. I get that many people want to live at the beach. It's just sad that so many of us long term residents are having to leave. I don't just "want to live at the beach". I want to stay in the area that's been my home for 25 years! Ç'est la vie.

So yes, it seems we may become closet dwellers. Or perhaps there are still lucky situations to be found! "Thoughts and Prayers" (ha ha) �� Peace!
Exactly. I have all utilities included, internet, little yard, etc. and I have a feeling I'm going to get priced out of California and I was born and raised here in Southern California. I cannot imagine living anywhere else.

I have been doing some preemptive strikes by keeping an eye open for rental signs. I truly think that private landlords provide the best rates, but stability can be dubious.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:50 AM

50,481 posts, read 47,229,720 times
The generation that would rent on a handshake and a set price are slowly dying off being replaced by $ signs.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 AM

9,826 posts, read 11,584,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The generation that would rent on a handshake and a set price are slowly dying off being replaced by $ signs.
Yep!

Old 06-28-2016, 03:42 PM

4,545 posts, read 12,424,532 times
I would go with Normal Heights. They just built a temporary Dog Park while they design and build a permanent one. There are some issues with the bark hurting the dog's paws, but in time the sharp edges of the wood should wear off.

Street parking is problematic in Normal Heights, but I suspect a majority of units come with parking. What you won't find are two parking spaces for 2 and 2+ units.

This response doesn't really answer your crime issues, but Normal Heights isn't known for being a violent place. There is property crime, but that happens everywhere now that the state has returned to a "Turn 'em loose" principle in regards property crime.

As for a women alone, walking the dog at 10pm, I'd feel better about your doing it at 9pm, but yours is a bigger dog isn't it? Over time you may become more comfortable walking at 10pm. It isn't that dubious people are "hangin' out" in Normal Heights, the problem is that the area is poorly lit, and the sidewalks are a menace of cracks, and trip and fall hazards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego