Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,326,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That's the old Puritan heritage, isn't it? If things aren't going well for you, then you must be a "bad person" because God isn't being good to you. If things are going well for you, then you must be a "good person" because God is being good to you.

And oh, by the way, America is doing so well that God must love America so much that we have the right - nay, the *duty* - to force our notion of governance on the rest of the world.
I always find it amazing when Christian Conservatives complain about welfare and any other social program. I am not religious at all but I have read the bible. Jesus cared about those in need and helped heel the poor and sick. For supposedly being a "Christian nation", we sure don't treat those with less or those that need help with such respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,237,057 times
Our founding fathers were deists hence the separation of church's and state. Puritans may have staked claim first but they sure didn't write the Constitution.
Interesting clash of values considering those minor historical details.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Our founding fathers were deists hence the separation of church's and state. Puritans may have staked claim first but they sure didn't write the Constitution.
Exactly, I know some Christians who think they're under attack by atheists. All we atheists want to do is keep the country secular. No bible preaching in schools, no taking away other people's rights just because they're Muslim, gay or have an abortion. I still hate that congress put "under god" in the pledge in the mid 50s. That has brainwashed many people into thinking that we are indeed a Christian nation.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:47 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,189,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddball26 View Post
I thought So Cal was liberal or something? But why is San Diego so conservative? Is it because it is a newer/younger city or what? Is it the history of the city here? Or is it becasue there are a lot of latinos/mexicans etc etc???

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Jason
Southern California, with the exception of LA, is the "conservative" part of California and always has been. Now conservative by California standards is way different than conservative in Alabama, but compared to the Bay Area and NorCal, it always has been the more right-leaning part of the state. In today's terms when compared to national politics, its very middle of the road moderate.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:12 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Exactly. It's amazing to me that people can claim this country was founded on Christian values and that the founding fathers didn't want church and state to be separated. There's so much historical evidence that this is not true. Thomas Jefferson even wrote about how there needed to be a wall of separation between church and state.

But even when presented with these facts, many continue to insist that black is white and up is down.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 AM

182 posts, read 322,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's because SOME people in NorCal are blathering idiots that are completely full of themselves, I know b/c I grew up there. I swear, Sf and Berkeley can seem like one giant ideological circle jerk sometimes. And yes hating on SoCal is the trendy thing to do in SF and the Bay Area, it's pretty pathetic actually. SF is full of the some of fakest, most hypocritical "liberals" I've ever come across.
I noticed the hatefest towards SF in every post came from people that no longer live there. I'm sorry, but the majority of obnoxious, self centered, egotistical or visually obsessed people I've met in Northern California were transplants from SoCal. Most grounded people understand that not everyone in SoCal or NorCal is represented by the undesireable few that create the stereotypes, but in my experience the overwhelming number of SoCal transplants up here display one or several of the characteristics listed above. My college was chalk full of them driving brand new Lexus' or Acura's spending their parents money while I'm driving a beat up Plymouth Colt. There's a reason people have that perception. Still, I don't think everyone is like that in SoCal and it doesn't disgust me to the extent that I'd avoid the area. You're comment is a bit ridiculous. It's not that difficult to avoid Berkeley or the small pocket of it where you'll find the protestors.

You also have to consider that this state has a water shortage, and who does SoCal look to every time when they need water? Up north. That tends to bother people, just a little. The ovewhelming number of abusive tax shelters are born in SoCal. Why? Old money and sky high real estate prices compared to the rest of the country. People that want to protect their money tend to vote for lower capital gains taxes, i.e, conservative. Most of us "crazy liberals" up here could care less about protecting the "rights" of the rich. Starting to see where your phoney classification of disgust comes from? It's more like distaste.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:20 AM

6,229 posts, read 11,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That's the old Puritan heritage, isn't it? If things aren't going well for you, then you must be a "bad person" because God isn't being good to you. If things are going well for you, then you must be a "good person" because God is being good to you.

And oh, by the way, America is doing so well that God must love America so much that we have the right - nay, the *duty* - to force our notion of governance on the rest of the world.
Yeap, if you have faith in the Lord then you will become rich and get that tax break that you earned. You just need a gun to protect your home and posessions as protected by the 2nd ammendment, and you don't have to worry about using it illegally and getting the death penalty that the poor and unfit people deserve.

Yeap, since America is a Christian nation, it is a perfect utopia with a 0% unemployment, zero crime, and nothing bad every happens. Every country should be like America, especially the real hellholes on this earth like Japan, Canada, Australia/NZ, and Western/Northern Europe.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 AM

One thing I noticed about the Republicans I know is the 2nd Amendment is the only important part of the constitution to them. They just ignore the rest of the constitution. Somehow guns equate to manliness. I would think being able to take care of a situation without getting into a shootout would be admirable.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM

50,059 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
One thing I noticed about the Republicans I know is the 2nd Amendment is the only important part of the constitution to them. They just ignore the rest of the constitution. Somehow guns equate to manliness. I would think being able to take care of a situation without getting into a shootout would be admirable.
How do you explain LE, hunters, gun nutz that are progressives. Partisan bickering = dumb.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Yeap, if you have faith in the Lord then you will become rich and get that tax break that you earned. You just need a gun to protect your home and posessions as protected by the 2nd ammendment, and you don't have to worry about using it illegally and getting the death penalty that the poor and unfit people deserve.

Yeap, since America is a Christian nation, it is a perfect utopia with a 0% unemployment, zero crime, and nothing bad every happens. Every country should be like America, especially the real hellholes on this earth like Japan, Canada, Australia/NZ, and Western/Northern Europe.
The thing that drives me nuts is that no amount of facts and logic will sway those who insist incorrectly that this country was founded as a Christian nation. You can tell them that many of the founders of the country were deists, you can tell them that Jefferson talked about separating church and state and explain to them that people came to the colonies for religious freedom, but none of that works. They'll continue to insist that up is down and black is white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego