Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Don't care what you guys say it is not one sided. I work with people of all ages who bash nor cal every day as well.
It's more one sided that you'd like to admit though, people in NorCal will bash SoCal more so than the other way around. I see it in the media such as the SF Chronicle and in everyday experiences. The Bay Area is known for being smug and arrogant, South Park didn't make fun of them for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That could be, but we have lived all over the state, from San Diego to Eureka and in Sac. We have friends in almost every part of the state and yes, people is San Francisco area, in my opinion put themselves above others.
I've experienced the same thing. Northern Californians tend to have a knee-jerk reaction against Southern California (and against red states).

It's interesting to try to get them to articulate exactly why Northern California is superior. Often they blather something about diversity, which is frankly hilarious as I found Los Angeles to be infinitely more diverse than the Bay Area. Other times they complain about water, which is also amusing as there is no shortage of wasteful green lawns and swimming pools in the Bay Area. And unlike San Francisco, SoCal never erected a dam in a freaking national park.

I never noticed any anti-Northern California talk when I lived in LA. Later, I lived briefly in Orange County, where the prevailing mood seemed to be anti-California-outside-of-OC and anti-blue states in general.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
I've experienced the same thing. Northern Californians tend to have a knee-jerk reaction against Southern California (and against red states).

It's interesting to try to get them to articulate exactly why Northern California is superior. Often they blather something about diversity, which is frankly hilarious as I found Los Angeles to be infinitely more diverse than the Bay Area. Other times they complain about water, which is also amusing as there is no shortage of wasteful green lawns and swimming pools in the Bay Area. And unlike San Francisco, SoCal never erected a dam in a freaking national park.

I never noticed any anti-Northern California talk when I lived in LA. Later, I lived briefly in Orange County, where the prevailing mood seemed to be anti-California-outside-of-OC and anti-blue states in general.
Our good friends, he went to USC and she, UCLA claimed one of the things that made SF so much better was dining options. I think that one, maybe I could agree with and the other, SF had a better symphany.

Nita

Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's more one sided that you'd like to admit though, people in NorCal will bash SoCal more so than the other way around. I see it in the media such as the SF Chronicle and in everyday experiences. The Bay Area is known for being smug and arrogant, South Park didn't make fun of them for no reason.
I'm admitting what I see. We'll agree to diagree as it's perhaps best for the both of us.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:26 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
I believe another reason why SD is conservative, is because of the media bias and it's conservative politicians that run this city and county. even though the people of SD thinks otherwise, the political views of local tv and newspapers are still not in favor of democratic/liberals. Once again, it's because of the huge military presence in SD, and they don't want to **** them off.

If you look at the board of supervisors, they are all conservatives. City isn't so much, but it's not crazy liberal either. SD does a lot environmental work and cares more about pollution than most other cities in the country. I guess the bay area and SD are neck and neck when it comes to environmental clean up and conservation.

Many of the conservative people here are mostly families or old white folks, no shock there. It's true that Mexican's families are heavily family oriented, but they vote democrat because of social services. They wont vote Republican since they are against social programs that help the poor and because they are likely to raise taxes on low income families which personally is the absolute worst thing you can do to people that are barely making it by.

Also we have a lot of retired military men and women that have stuck around in San Diego, keeping this place heavily republican in many parts of SD county.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I believe another reason why SD is conservative, is because of the media bias and it's conservative politicians that run this city and county. even though the people of SD thinks otherwise, the political views of local tv and newspapers are still not in favor of democratic/liberals. Once again, it's because of the huge military presence in SD, and they don't want to **** them off.

If you look at the board of supervisors, they are all conservatives. City isn't so much, but it's not crazy liberal either. SD does a lot environmental work and cares more about pollution than most other cities in the country. I guess the bay area and SD are neck and neck when it comes to environmental clean up and conservation.

Many of the conservative people here are mostly families or old white folks, no shock there. It's true that Mexican's families are heavily family oriented, but they vote democrat because of social services. They wont vote Republican since they are against social programs that help the poor and because they are likely to raise taxes on low income families which personally is the absolute worst thing you can do to people that are barely making it by.

Also we have a lot of retired military men and women that have stuck around in San Diego, keeping this place heavily republican in many parts of SD county.
I agree on all but most of the second paragraph. San Diego has become environmentally aware but it's not up to the level some other areas are when it comes to preserving whats left. Better than say, most anywhere in Texas or some other places.

One thing San Diego should encourage more of is the planting of more native plants for starters. Native vegetation requires little watering and no chemicals and almost no pesticides. With watering just twice a week they will stay green year round. This will also provide habitat for native wildlife. The palm tree and eucalyptus trees should be replaced with Torrey Pines and those trees that grow in whats left of the riparian areas. Exotic shrubs should be replaced with Coyote Brush and Scrub Oak as well as sage brush. All of these can flower nicely in the right conditions. In places in the Bay Area and especially in Seattle, you see a lot more native vegetation making up the landscaping.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,183 times
If someone from SF starts trash talking SD, ask them what they'll do after an earthquake hits them.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
If someone from SF starts trash talking SD, ask them what they'll do after an earthquake hits them.
What happens if it hits here first?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,958 times
I would say that San Diego is typically more conservative in the North County or in the Eastern parts of the County. Central/Downtown SD is probably moderate. San Diego has a very conservative government, and the television news stations, such as ABC10 in SD County, have a conservative lean (which isn't THAT perceptible, actually). Also, there are so many military families because of San Diego's proximity to Camp Pendleton, which amounts to a generally conservative mindset.

I love San Diego. It is such a beautiful area. The architecture is much better there than in LA. I don't like Los Angeles. It is way, WAY too smoggy, there is constant congestion on the roads, and the people are typically unsociable (not unfriendly, just not very willing to engage in conversation).

Actually, if you really analyze the data and think about it, Southern California isn't extremely liberal at all. The only real Democratic part is LA County itself, where around 84% are liberal, 12% are conservative, and 4% aren't sure (I'm not sure if those were the exact numbers, but I believe it was something very close to that). Of course, LA County has a huge chunk of the population, as well as all the media outlets. Orange County is around 70-something percent conservative, while the rest of the population consider themselves liberal. The Inland Empire is very evened-out. Riverside County is probably more conservative than San Bernardino County. Keep in mind, though, that both counties are considered rather socially conservative. However, Riverside County is more fiscally conservative than San Bernardino County, but as someone said many posts ago, that has to do with money. The areas of Redlands and Yucaipa in SB County are much more economically conservative than in areas like Fontana or Rialto.

Either way, all the liberals and conservatives I have met have been incredibly friendly on the west coast. I mean, it all comes down to people thinking that the other group/cast/party hates them, and problems arise due to preconceived notions. It was on the east coast that the liberals and conservatives seem to bicker the most.

On the topic of Northern California, I was personally unaware of the hate (???) that they have for Southern Californians. I don't see any reason for a sense of elitism. I would expect that they are rather haughty up there, but I didn't think that they would bash on Southern Californians for being... I don't know...

By the way, I'm an independent. I'm socially conservative, economically conservative, and environmentally liberal. Live in the Inland Empire in Southern California.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,196 times
SD is TERRIBLY repressed especially when it comes to adult entertainment. I recently moved here from the IE and YES, even the Inland Empire is more relaxed when it comes to what consenting adults do behind closed doors. Even OC with DisneyLand just down the road offers significantly better adult entertainment. It's no wonder to me we have police officers exploiting young women in exchange for fixing tickets. We can't attract pro sports teams and are in danger of losing the ones we have! SD needs to relax then re-focus our tax dollars on preventing real crimes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego