Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:15 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
There are new badges this year. They have an RIFD chip in them, plus a QR code, and barcode on the back. There are now scanners are every door, and badges have to be scanned in and out. When the badge is scanner in, if it's valid, a green light will come on, if it's fake (shouldn't happen this year), a red light will come on. If the badge is scanned in and not out, when the badge is scanned in again, a red light will come on, and their id will be checked.

So it's going to be interesting starting tomorrow. I was also told that the RIFD chip is registered to the person who bought the badge, so anyone who buys one off Craigslist is in for a surprise.
Yep!
I herd about this on the radio last week. They are not playing with these professional scalpers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 07:35 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I can agree with wanting to punch someone in the face. After working there for the entire event, all you want to do at the end of it is kill people. Some of them think that they're privileged, but they're not.
I just heard that there's going to be a Pokemon Go pub crawl.

I'll be thinking of you man.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:20 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
If anyone is going to Exhibit Hall H, there will be security guards with metal detector wands, and another security company inside the Exhibit Hall with night vision goggles to prevent people from videotaping.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:36 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
At what point are they going to implement the cavity searches?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
At what point are they going to implement the cavity searches?
When the new badges get old.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:06 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
I was just down there last night, and the crowds have become insane.

Didn't go to comic-con itself, but I went at night just to see what was going on. Everything heats up at night, and man it was like nothing I have ever seen before compared to in years past.

More parties, jammed packed bars and clubs, more people, more craziness, more traffic, more glitz and glamour with a mixture of bums, weirdos and smell of urine everywhere.

Some offsite events were also going on, on the embarcadero that I don't remember seeing before. Some small private celeb events took place outside of the Gaslamp, some stuff up in Hillcrest and in Bankers Hill from what some people told me down there which will never be reported on the news.

To see San Diego put on a event that is on this type of scale is pretty amazing to watch, not only is our Comic-Con the biggest in the world supposedly, as it attracts so many big stars, it has gone smoothly. No violence or mishaps even with all the crowds.

I can't think of too many other cities in the U.S. that could handle such a big event or has so many bars, clubs, restaurants, packed within such a tight radius that makes Comic-Con more than just a place for nerds, but a haven for celebs and party goers, and this doesn't include parts of East Village, Little Italy, Hillcrest, North Park and other small unknown spots that also have clubs, restaurants, and cool bars to go to besides for downtown.

What other city could compare and be as cool as SD is for the con?

Excluding the biggest urban cities like L.A., NYC, Chi-Town, Miami, that have more room, and more of everything.

Could Austin handle it? And be as hip, cool and flashy as SD? What about Dallas, Nashville, Seattle?

I think what makes SDCC extremely popular and literally destroys other CC, is that many celebs can just drive down here from L.A. as they do.

Or take their private jets and get here in a half hour. The proximity to L.A. gives us a huge advantage as many of the Hollywood studios trek down here on the 5 and set up shop. It's much much easier to do this than to fly a bunch of things or drive hundreds if not thousands of miles away in order to set up such a massive event.

The Conan show is a perfect example of this.

So how does SD do it and can we continue to handle ever increasing crowds and the demands on needing to build more hotels to accommodate everyone?

Old 07-23-2016, 02:02 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Had a lot of fun yesterday! Got to see the cast of Game of Thrones which was pretty cool

Old 07-23-2016, 02:18 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,134,001 times
Took my daughter and her fiance there yesterday and again today. Somehow, when we dropped them off it didn't seem as crowded as in years past. We also didn't see as many Cosplayers this year, which is one reason we like to drive by when we drop the kids off.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:24 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
Probably because it was so hot out!

Yesterday was brutal. At night is when everything starts getting crowded.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:07 PM

480 posts, read 418,716 times
Comic con is unnecessary, boring, weird, superficial, chaotic, and it creates a hassle for commute and doesn't mesh with the laid back attitude of San Diego. Even the uber drivers hate it. It should be moved to LA or miami which already has bad traffic. Better yet, move it to hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego