Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: who's to blame?
Chargers 9 37.50%
Joey Bosa (and his agent) 9 37.50%
Meh, I don't care 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 04:40 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,746,532 times

Advertisements

Who's to blame in the San Diego Chargers and 3rd overall draft pick Joey Bosa rookie contract impasse?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 05:11 PM
4SR

75 posts, read 105,919 times
The chargers releasing that statement came off as super unprofessional. I don't blame Bosa for trying to maximize his value.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:19 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
How do these deals go down like they just met on a car lot? All of this should have been discussed like buying a car, research, in advance. There should be no surprises once you pick one. This has Eli written all over it again.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:50 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,746,532 times
^^^ The new CBA was supposed to fix that. Rookies and their agents generally know what to expect regarding compensation.

As a Charger fan, I wish this were an Eli situation. The Bolts came out on top in that deal and it happened right there in the draft room on draft day, although that is debatable a decade or so later.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:56 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
When Chargers offered 85 percent, that seemed very reasonable to me. Bosa's mother fired the first shot over the bow and it seemed obvious the family had discussed how JB didn't want to play here and how to get out of it. I think nothing the Chargers offered would make a difference . I think the Chargers know he doesn't want to spend 4 years here so why should they make any consessions. It's too bad because both sides lose. What's to stop another rookie from doing this when he gets picked by a team he doesn't like. It puts a big crack in the foundation of the whole draft system.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:33 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
When Chargers offered 85 percent, that seemed very reasonable to me. Bosa's mother fired the first shot over the bow and it seemed obvious the family had discussed how JB didn't want to play here and how to get out of it. I think nothing the Chargers offered would make a difference . I think the Chargers know he doesn't want to spend 4 years here so why should they make any consessions. It's too bad because both sides lose. What's to stop another rookie from doing this when he gets picked by a team he doesn't like. It puts a big crack in the foundation of the whole draft system.
Not really. You draft in top 5 you pay the bonus upfront or you don't put offset language in the contract and you avoid this. They are the joke around the league. The Chargers have their own rules which include not making the playoffs, taking taxpayer and tourists dollars and being cheap and unreasonable when it comes to signing their guys.

He has asked for the bonus upfront and they low balled him beyond belief and wanted offset language. This got derailed with the first offer

Old 08-26-2016, 09:43 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
It's my understanding that Both bonus and offset language are standard language in these contracts and that is where all the rookie contract negotiations begin, if there are any, which there haven't been any of any significance any more. There isn't much else to negotiate. Chargers made their first offer, JB agent declined it and then the Eli Manning comment was put out there and then things went south from there. Just my opinion but if that comment had not been made, situation wouldn't have escalated to where it is, it couldn't have set well with Charger management. I've been a Charger fan since 1977 and been thru all the ups and downs, losing seasons, loser coaches, bad firings, treating great players like dirt, bad trades, all of it, and I'm as fed up as everybody else. I wonder if the NFL will step in and get involved in this, because if JB goes back into the draft, I can't imagine that is something the NFL would want to have happen, it would be a first.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:03 AM

1,055 posts, read 799,737 times
Both sides take some blame in this situation. The Chargers for digging in their heels on principle and the Bosa team for potentially giving up a season, over a relatively small amount of money. Not great optics for the Chargers who are asking the taxpayers to fork over a billion dollars, to blow a big deal for their top draft pick, over about a million dollars.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:10 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Both sides take some blame in this situation. The Chargers for digging in their heels on principle and the Bosa team for potentially giving up a season, over a relatively small amount of money. Not great optics for the Chargers who are asking the taxpayers to fork over a billion dollars, to blow a big deal for their top draft pick, over about a million dollars.
Agreed that they are both to blame. That being said, I'm on the Chargers side on this one (and while I have sympathy for the Chargers, I'm a Steelers fan). Bosa will never get this money back if he skips this season on something that is so stupid - - he's cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:17 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
It's my understanding that Both bonus and offset language are standard language in these contracts and that is where all the rookie contract negotiations begin, if there are any, which there haven't been any of any significance any more. There isn't much else to negotiate. Chargers made their first offer, JB agent declined it and then the Eli Manning comment was put out there and then things went south from there. Just my opinion but if that comment had not been made, situation wouldn't have escalated to where it is, it couldn't have set well with Charger management. I've been a Charger fan since 1977 and been thru all the ups and downs, losing seasons, loser coaches, bad firings, treating great players like dirt, bad trades, all of it, and I'm as fed up as everybody else. I wonder if the NFL will step in and get involved in this, because if JB goes back into the draft, I can't imagine that is something the NFL would want to have happen, it would be a first.
Since the new CBA has been in place every 3rd overall pick has had either the bonus at signing or no offset language. This is what Bosa has asked for...the same as every third pick since the new CBA has been in place.
I'm sure the players Union wont be too pleased if Bosa wilts to the Chargers demands. The folks that say just take the deal Bosa...aren't looking at this from the perspective that He's now apart of players union and there are new pressures with that. I feel bad that Bosa has to sign with a franchise like the Chargers.

The Chargers stance which anyone with half a brain can see through is they are giving Bosa the most money ever given to any pick...well no $h!t...you haven't taken anyone in the Top 5 in a long time. Part of stinking it up you get a top college football player the next year...you also have to pay that guy a little more as well. I don't get their stance and neither can other GMs in the NFL.

This is on the Chargers.

I also agree Bosa's Mom was out of line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: