Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 05:47 PM

8 posts, read 14,382 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I recently got an offer from a company at San Diego(near Sorrento Valley Blvd.) and planning to move with my wife and 4yr old. Can someone please guide me where to rent the apartment? Is $130k salary enough to lead a good life in San Diego with savings? I'm an asian indian but prefer staying in diverse cultural places. Can all experts here guide me to some apartment communities with good schools around?
Are there any specific communities with Asian Indian presence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 09:23 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,315,314 times
You should be fine with that salary.

I would stick to UTC or Mira Mesa for close proximity to your work.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:04 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,556,773 times
Congratulations on your new job!

What's your expected budget for rent? A good starting point might be going to Zillow.com and use Sorrento Valley as the location. Put in your maximum rent budget and it will give you a nice little map showing options.

Slytrix's suggestions of University City (UTC) and Mira Mesa are good. Clairemont Mesa would also be a good option. Carmel Valley would be an easy commute, has excellent schools, but it is going to be pricier. A little farther inland, check out Rancho Penasquitos, Scripps Ranch, and perhaps Poway and Rancho Bernardo. These are all very nice family-oriented neighborhoods.

But, again, Zillow will give you an idea of where you might find options within your price range. Find a few neighborhoods that look promising and feel free to ask about them here. Welcome to San Diego.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:01 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,562,703 times
Quote:
Is $130k salary enough to lead a good life in San Diego with savings?
Decent, yes. Much beyond decent, no. It should be enough for rent, good food, your retirement plans, college fund for the kid, and ability to put away a few bucks. To accomplish these things in Southern California or San Diego, you need a six-figure salary.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:07 AM

334 posts, read 358,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbustor View Post
Hello All,
Is $130k salary enough to lead a good life in San Diego with savings? I'm an asian indian but prefer staying in diverse cultural places. Can all experts here guide me to some apartment communities with good schools around?
Are there any specific communities with Asian Indian presence?
Is 130k your income or your total household income?

The biggest changes in COL in california compared to other states is housing and taxes. Housing you can check on public sites like zillow/redfin etc. Taxes you can estimate with the state tables, online sites, or just use last years copy of turbo tax.

I haven't seen many asian indians in San Diego in the neighborhoods around balboa park and beach cities (YMMV). I don't think city data breaks out indians separately in their demographic pages, but it should be publicly available (from the census/BLS) so you should be able to find percentages by using google.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 AM

In terms of areas with more Asian Indians, Mira Mesa is probably going to have the biggest concentration, but the other areas I mentioned also have Asian Indians living in them.

If the poster and his wife want to shop for Indian grocery items, there's Little India off of Black Mountain Road in the Mira Mesa area. The San Diego Participant Observer There are also a couple of Asian Indian markets in Clairemont Mesa and a few supermarkets near North Park that carry Indian grocery items (but North Park and downtown might not be a convenient commute to Sorrento Valley, nor as family oriented as the poster might want).

If they're Hindu, they would want to get in touch with the Hindu Temple on Miramar road (this is closer to Scripps Ranch but convenient to all of the other areas mentioned). The Temple has a lot of social and educational activities, in addition to religious services. Home of Vedic Cultural and Spiritual Center of San Diego

There are also a couple of Indian meet up groups in San Diego, like this one: The San Diego Indian Cultural Meetup Group (San Diego, CA) - Meetup

The House of India in Balboa Park hosts cultural events and puts the number of Asian Indians in San Diego County at 15,000.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:33 PM

8 posts, read 14,382 times
Thank you people for the replies and for the warm welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpdragr View Post
Is 130k your income or your total household income?
It's my household income. My wife is not working. I'm moving from San Ramon,CA area where I'm paying 1900$ as rent for 1 bed apartment. I believe rent in San Diego would be little lesser. Correct if I'm wrong in this. I don't mind paying about same rent. Of course, lesser is always better but I do not wish to compromise in school ranking for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpdragr View Post
If they're Hindu, they would want to get in touch with the Hindu Temple on Miramar road (this is closer to Scripps Ranch but convenient to all of the other areas mentioned). The Temple has a lot of social and educational activities, in addition to religious services. Home of Vedic Cultural and Spiritual Center of San Diego
Yeah..I'm not that religious. So having a religious place in proximity is not my criteria. Thanks for the information though as sometimes you need to visit such places because Google cannot answer all the questions

On the other side, how safe are these areas? Do you classify any places into absolutely safe like for a stroll in the evening and places which are NoGo at any time?

Old 08-23-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbustor View Post
Thank you people for the replies and for the warm welcome.

It's my household income. My wife is not working. I'm moving from San Ramon,CA area where I'm paying 1900$ as rent for 1 bed apartment. I believe rent in San Diego would be little lesser. Correct if I'm wrong in this. I don't mind paying about same rent. Of course, lesser is always better but I do not wish to compromise in school ranking for this.

Yeah..I'm not that religious. So having a religious place in proximity is not my criteria. Thanks for the information though as sometimes you need to visit such places because Google cannot answer all the questions

On the other side, how safe are these areas? Do you classify any places into absolutely safe like for a stroll in the evening and places which are NoGo at any time?
All of the areas mentioned are safe, family-friendly areas, although of course every neighborhood has its pluses and minuses -- You'll want to drive around and get a feel for the different areas to see what suits you. All of these are fairly suburban areas. Some are more "upscale" and "new" than others. If I were to list them in order of how upscale they are, I'd say Carmel Valley would be the most upscale, followed by Scripps Ranch, Poway/Rancho Bernardo, University City, then Mira Mesa and Claremont Mesa. By upscale, I mean they have newer developments and wealthier residents. But all are fine family oriented areas and are considered safe areas.

In terms of schools, the Poway School District is excellent, and serves parts of Poway, Rancho Penasquitos and Rancho Bernardo. The San Dieguito School District serves most of Carmel Valley (there are some elementary districts that overlap) and is also excellent. Mira Mesa, Scripps Ranch, University City and Claremont Mesa are served by the San Diego Unified School District. While the SDUSD has some iffy schools near downtown San Diego, the schools in those particular areas are very good, with Scripps Ranch area schools having some of the best schools in the SDUSD.

The San Diego County rental market is pretty competitive. Median rent for a one bedroom is hovering around $1500. However, that includes all of the County, including areas that would require a longer commute for you, or be in an area that might be less desirable for a family. So you may not find something "cheaper" that is suitable for your family unless you are open to a longer commute, a more urban area, and/or an area with less satisfactory schools.

However, you should be able to find one bedrooms, and even two bedroom apartments in your price range in many of the areas I've mentioned. Carmel Valley will probably be towards the top of your price range and maybe a little out of it. Scripps Ranch and Poway/Rancho Bernardo may also be a little more expensive but they are really great areas. You'll likely find the most options in your price range in Mira Mesa, Claremont Mesa, Rancho Penasquitos and University City. Again, drive around the different areas to see what appeals to you; you really can't go wrong with any of these areas in my opinion.

Good luck with your new job, and your move!

Old 08-23-2016, 02:04 PM

264 posts, read 248,536 times
La Jolla is another option (starting rate for 1-bedrooms is around $1500).

Old 08-23-2016, 02:14 PM

I want to add that you probably already are aware that there are lots of online scammers on rental sites like Craigslist and even Zillow.com. So, don't send any money to "reserve" an apartment sight unseen.

Here are a few ads for 2 bedroom apartments that would be in your price range in the areas mentioned:

10844 Sabre Hill Dr UNIT 228, San Diego, CA 92128 | Zillow

APT: B1 - IMT Sorrento Valley in San Diego, CA | Zillow

5170 Clairemont Mesa Blvd UNIT 11, San Diego, CA 92117 | Zillow

12719 Robison Blvd APT 15, Poway, CA 92064 | Zillow

APT: 2 Bed 1 Bath - Elivia in San Diego, CA | Zillow

Zillow isn't showing any 2 bedrooms in Carmel Valley for $1900 or under, and doesn't look like there are many in Scripps Ranch either. That doesn't mean they don't exist; just not being advertised at present.

APT: B127 - Esplanade in San Diego, CA | Zillow

10615 Dabney Dr APT 24, San Diego, CA 92126 | Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego