Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:11 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times

Advertisements

And they also bathe out of the sinks in the restrooms at UCSD hospital in Hillcrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 02:07 PM

334 posts, read 362,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The Union Tribune asked the same question last summer.

The answer was that while it is *officially* against the law to camp on sidewalks and in other public places in the city of San Diego, several lawsuits brought by the ACLU have put limits on what the police can actually do.
Thanks. That was a very informative article.

For anybody interested, it looks like the legal agreement referenced (Spencer v San Diego) is available online here: http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/wp-co...AND-ORDERS.pdf

It seems a requirement for enforcement is that the property owner has to complain. But it's not clear to me who exactly "owns the sidewalk". I.e. is it sufficient for the owner of the property beside the sidewalk to complain?

Has anybody on this list actually complained to the police and had some action taken?

Old 02-06-2017, 02:32 PM

787 posts, read 643,680 times
The only thing as bad as the homeless problem in CA is the ridiculous people who jump to their defense whenever you say something about it.

I was almost homeless at one point in my life, and I think I will still have the common courtesy to not mope around public crowded areas with my stench. Be homeless in the woods for crying out loud. The people shouldn't have to put up with homeless on public trans, for example, my goodness.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:19 PM

212 posts, read 195,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I just witnessed this for the second time. A homeless guy in Albertsons decided to finger food himself full at the do it yourself salad bar then bolted out the door. Many years ago I saw this happen at home town buffet off Clairemont dr.

Don't eat at salad bars. ever

and yes I told an employee

This makes me nauseous. Blech.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,513 times
A lot of homeless do not want help. They enjoy living like swine on the streets. I know a guy who I call go-cart man who has been on W Point Loma Blvd across from Starbucks for over 2 years. He hangs out at Starbucks all day wears ghetto clothes and has a laptop! He even rides around town in his homeless go kart. Those who live in Point Loma area near the new apartment complex that charges 2500 for a 1 bedroom apartment know what I am talking about.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
A lot of homeless do not want help. They enjoy living like swine on the streets. I know a guy who I call go-cart man who has been on W Point Loma Blvd across from Starbucks for over 2 years. He hangs out at Starbucks all day wears ghetto clothes and has a laptop! He even rides around town in his homeless go kart. Those who live in Point Loma area near the new apartment complex that charges 2500 for a 1 bedroom apartment know what I am talking about.
This is true.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:18 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
This is true.
In many cases the help they're offered comes with strings attached (various rules and responsibilities). Some of them are simply incapable of doing what it takes to stay qualified for help-with-strings-attached.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
In many cases the help they're offered comes with strings attached (various rules and responsibilities). Some of them are simply incapable of doing what it takes to stay qualified for help-with-strings-attached.
This is also true.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:08 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
So what would be a solution?

Old 02-18-2017, 03:33 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,513 times
Good question. Perhaps enforce vagrancy laws? Give them a spot to camp out away from urban areas? Offer food vouchers and bus passes? Government and private industry have failed on this front. Provide mental health treatment for the ones with drug and mental problems.

Funny thing is many other countries do not have a homeless problem as bad as the USA. I have been to Singapore and never saw a single homeless person. Same for Peru and Dominican Republic all places with lower wealth than America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego