Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 08:35 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times

Advertisements

San Diego snags coveted nod from presitigious periodical

Citing the city’s “temperate climate, numerous underpasses, beautiful public parks, and historically generous populace,” Hobo Magazine has awarded San Diego its annual “golden shopping cart,” ranking it the number-one city in the country in which to be homeless in 2016.

However, not everyone is thrilled with Hobo Magazine’s decision to honor San Diego. “This is just gonna attract more homeless,” says East Village resident Bill Nimby.

San Diego snags coveted nod from prestigious periodical | San Diego Reader

(ha ha, it's satire from the Reader!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 08:47 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Bill Nimby, hahaha.

My company participates in the We All Count Point in Time homeless count. Here is last year's report, I don't see this stat on here but I am curious how many homeless were actually living here in SD when they became homeless or did they migrate as a homeless person to SD?

http://www.rtfhsd.org/wp/wp-content/...2016-final.pdf

A psychiatric hospital in Las Vegas was in the news this year or last year for busing their homeless to San Francisco, I wonder how often this happens to SD.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:56 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Bill Nimby, hahaha.

My company participates in the We All Count Point in Time homeless count. Here is last year's report, I don't see this stat on here but I am curious how many homeless were actually living here in SD when they became homeless or did they migrate as a homeless person to SD?

http://www.rtfhsd.org/wp/wp-content/...2016-final.pdf

A psychiatric hospital in Las Vegas was in the news this year or last year for busing their homeless to San Francisco, I wonder how often this happens to SD.
My hunch is the official count is less than the actual number of homeless people. Since your company participates, you're probably aware of how they do the count, but it's not like they turn over every stone. The homeless count looks for visible homeless, and cautions the volunteers not to venture into certain areas. And some areas of the county aren't "counted" at all.

So, allowing for a 10% "miss rate" (which might be low), I'd probably peg the homeless in SD County closer to 10,000.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:58 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
It doesn't. When I was feeding my stray cats last week, I met a homeless couple that moved here from OKC because of the weather.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:05 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Homeless people cannot and therefore, do not, move anywhere. All homelessness is a result of unaffordable housing. (Satire)

Old 08-27-2016, 09:21 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Oh here we go again. With the BS about homeless migration to ______________ (insert California city of choice for your whine).

Do I really have to drag out the studies again, that show that, on average, between 75% and 85% of homeless were previously employed and housed in the city where they are presently now homeless. And that another roughly 15% come from the same state, while only about 10% have migrated in from other states.

Over and over and over and over and over on these threads. Denied by the same posters over and over and over and over ... even after being shown the studies over and over and over and over and over.

Get "over" it.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh here we go again. With the BS about homeless migration to ______________ (insert California city of choice for your whine).

Do I really have to drag out the studies again, that show that, on average, between 75% and 85% of homeless were previously employed and housed in the city where they are presently now homeless. And that another roughly 15% come from the same state, while only about 10% have migrated in from other states.

Over and over and over and over and over on these threads. Denied by the same posters over and over and over and over ... even after being shown the studies over and over and over and over and over.

Get "over" it.
You really think you are convincing, don't you? The studies you keep referring to purport to show that on average most homeless were previously employed and housed in the city where they are presently now homeless. No doubt that is an average based on the entire nation. Second, even assuming your studies are correct, there may be huge bias as these studies are done by advocacy groups (or state-funded entities that work with advocacy groups). Both groups are funded either with taxpayer money or charitable donations and thus both are biased.

But even assuming arguendo that the studies you tout as gospel are correct, places like San Diego, etc. will not be consistent with that purported average due to weather and desirability. And this has been explained to you over and over.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:06 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Homeless people cannot and therefore, do not, move anywhere. All homelessness is a result of unaffordable housing. (Satire)
Homeless people can buy (or have an agency buy) bus tickets to wherever they want. After they get here, they can accumulate shopping carts full of stuff.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Homeless people can buy (or have an agency buy) bus tickets to wherever they want. After they get here, they can accumulate shopping carts full of stuff.
Well, yes. I agree.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:42 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
You really think you are convincing, don't you? The studies you keep referring to purport to show that on average most homeless were previously employed and housed in the city where they are presently now homeless. No doubt that is an average based on the entire nation. Second, even assuming your studies are correct, there may be huge bias as these studies are done by advocacy groups (or state-funded entities that work with advocacy groups). Both groups are funded either with taxpayer money or charitable donations and thus both are biased.

But even assuming arguendo that the studies you tout as gospel are correct, places like San Diego, etc. will not be consistent with that purported average due to weather and desirability. And this has been explained to you over and over.
Except, OC, the studies were not based on the entire nation. I provided you several times studies based on California. I recall one specifically, for example, that was conducted in San Francisco by the SF Housing Authority, not an "advocacy group". And what benefit would an advocacy group gain by proving the homeless were previous residents anyway? Your protest is nuts.

Here's a refresher of that study for you:
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...homegrown.html

And here is a link to the 2016 Homeless Survey conducted by San Diego:
Reports | Regional Task Force on the Homeless San Diego
in which survey you can find a download for
Homelessness Summary Fact Sheet
in which fact sheet you will find the statistic that:
Quote:
70.2% of SD's homeless became homeless in San Diego
Over and over and over. Facts. Studies. Surveys. Verifications. Right in your face. Studies from housing authorities. Studies from academia. Studies from professionals in the field. But LuvSouthOC says "nope, nuh-uh, not true".

Amazing denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego