Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:18 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I just turned down a VERY good job offer because I didn't want to commute into Carmel Valley.

The funny thing is, there is a ton of downtown vacancy, it would be relatively easy for these employers to get a small space downtown so their employees would have a place to go other than the office.
Really. The commute to CV is relatively not that bad, and with all your griping about downtown, I assume other unmentioned decision-making considerations were in play for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 11:36 AM

148 posts, read 279,464 times
The title itself shows age discrimination in tech industry. There are plenty of talents that happen to be older, many married with family that preferred SD over the Bay Area.

Even Apple engineers can't get Genius Bar jobs | TechRadar

Old 09-15-2016, 11:48 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Really. The commute to CV is relatively not that bad, and with all your griping about downtown, I assume other unmentioned decision-making considerations were in play for you.
Oh I don't want to live or hang out downtown but that doesn't mean it's not an easy commute.

I don't want to spend 2hrs a day in my car. From my house it takes over an hour each way. 805 is a parking lot.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:06 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Yup, I said this in another thread, when the software dev division of my company packed up and moved from our Misison Valley up to Sorrento Valley near Quallcomm, many younger folks that live down here were quite annoyed that their commute time would grow and that they would be working in dull Sorrento Valley. About the only "cool" things I can think of that exists up there are the breweries (Karl Strauss, Green Flash and Ballast).

Mission Valley is not all that exciting, but we have easy access to Mid City neighborhoods/Balboa Park, PB/OB/MB and downtown. Plus its central.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:12 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Oh I don't want to live or hang out downtown but that doesn't mean it's not an easy commute.

I don't want to spend 2hrs a day in my car. From my house it takes over an hour each way. 805 is a parking lot.
I see - 2h rt is too much (anytime above 90 min rt impacts qol, imo). Traffic has indeed gotten increasingly worse over the past 5 years but still not as bad as other major metropolitan areas in US. I would think that would be more a 30-minute one-way commute (1 h rt). Anyway to commute during non-rush hour.

Last edited by bloom; 09-15-2016 at 12:21 PM..

Old 09-15-2016, 12:23 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:

It takes me an hour from SV road to Clairemont if I have to leave after 3. 8 friggin miles. Literally, rush hour is 3 - 730 now.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:23 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Why don't companies offer private shuttle buses between the urban core and Sorrento Valley? That's how some companies get young people who want to live in SF to work in their dull office parks in Silicon Valley.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:16 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why don't companies offer private shuttle buses between the urban core and Sorrento Valley? That's how some companies get young people who want to live in SF to work in their dull office parks in Silicon Valley.
This is the type of thing that costs very little and could help solve the problem, but these are SD employers and they are not known for their progressive approach.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:30 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If the route had a car pool that would be great.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:59 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If the route had a car pool that would be great.
I agree it definitely would but an hour in traffic is a lot more tolerable when someone else is doing the driving imo, especially when you have WiFi, can do work, or take a nap. None of the freeways that connect SF and Silicon Valley have carpool lanes for the vast majority of the route either. I'd imagine buses might save some time using the carpool/bus only lane at the freeway on-ramp though. From what I remember that on-ramp at Sorrento Valley Rd/805 was pretty horrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego