Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 01:01 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,027 times

Advertisements

I might take a (Federal) job in San Diego. I have lived on the Southeast Coast / Beach all my life. What are the differences with the East and West Coast Beach scene?
I always hear the cost of living is terrible, and it is not worth moving there.
I also hear it's a very cool place with great weather. I was told by some cool visitors here, that I would like Encinitas.
I just wanted info on the area, especially if somebody came from the other (southern) coast.

Last edited by Serenity2019; 10-19-2016 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 02:17 PM

91 posts, read 78,800 times
I split time between SD and the SE Coast. Weather-wise its only slightly better in SD. The last few summers have been pretty rough. Rough enough where I'd rather be in the SE because our house has AC. It rarely rains here, which at times is great but if you like plants and greenery,... well, no so great.

As far as the "scene" I prefer it here, the east coast i think is a bit different where loads of people mob the beaches and bake all day. I dont find that to be the case out here. Yes people go and sit but for the most part the folks here are a bit more active and you'll find most people go to the beach to surf, fish, jog,...etc. There are also a lot more people living by the beach so its not so "small". For example places like Tybee and Hilton Head are the ones i'm familiar with out there. The community of folks who live there year round is much smaller than any coastal community you'll find on the west coast. As such there's more variety in food, markets, ...etc. out here.

Cost of living is much better in SE. Housing, fuel, utilities will all be higher in SD.

Pace of life is faster here but nothing compared to LA or SF Bay Area.

In the end, you'll have to visit and see if you like it.

*BTW, I have no idea about encinitas, I've surfed there and thats about it. It seems pretty suburban.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:49 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I was told by some cool visitors here, that I would like Encinitas.
Where will your job be located in San Diego County? If you'll be working at Camp Pendleton, the Encinitas would be convenient (although housing is expensive there). If you'll be working in one of the Federal offices or labs near downtown or in the south bay, Encinitas might not be an ideal commute.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:11 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
The job could also be on one of the military bases, so until the OP provides a location, there's not much information that we can provide.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The job could also be on one of the military bases, so until the OP provides a location, there's not much information that we can provide.
Also, without knowing what his housing budget is, we can't really point him anywhere. No sense recommending Del Mar when he's on an El Cajon budget.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:39 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSav View Post
I split time between SD and the SE Coast. Weather-wise its only slightly better in SD. The last few summers have been pretty rough. Rough enough where I'd rather be in the SE because our house has AC. It rarely rains here, which at times is great but if you like plants and greenery,... well, no so great.

As far as the "scene" I prefer it here, the east coast i think is a bit different where loads of people mob the beaches and bake all day. I dont find that to be the case out here. Yes people go and sit but for the most part the folks here are a bit more active and you'll find most people go to the beach to surf, fish, jog,...etc. There are also a lot more people living by the beach so its not so "small". For example places like Tybee and Hilton Head are the ones i'm familiar with out there. The community of folks who live there year round is much smaller than any coastal community you'll find on the west coast. As such there's more variety in food, markets, ...etc. out here.

Cost of living is much better in SE. Housing, fuel, utilities will all be higher in SD.

Pace of life is faster here but nothing compared to LA or SF Bay Area.

In the end, you'll have to visit and see if you like it.

*BTW, I have no idea about encinitas, I've surfed there and thats about it. It seems pretty suburban.
Thank you for such a detailed report man.
I thank you all for replying.
If I come, the job would be in the area of West F St. & State St. Downtown.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Thank you for such a detailed report man.
I thank you all for replying.
If I come, the job would be in the area of West F St. & State St. Downtown.
Encinitas wouldn't be ideal if you're commuting by car to downtown, due to traffic on the I-5 corridor during peak commute times, but you would have the option of taking the Coaster (train) to downtown. Again, I don't know your budget, but Encinitas tends to be an expensive area (both rents and houses). It is a very nice area though if you dont mind being farther from work and in a more suburban area.

However, you might want to also check out some areas a little closer to where you'll be working in downtown. Some possible examples (but by no means the only options):

Beautiful (but expensive) beach communities with easy commutes to downtown: Coronado, La Jolla
Great downtown areas where you could walk to your work location (but urban): East Village, Little Italy, Harbor area
Easy commute to downtown beach areas that are less expensive than Coronado or La Jolla: Point Loma, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Ocean Beach
Easy commute to downtown with easy access to everything San Diego offers: University City, Claremont Mesa, Hillcrest, North Park, Normal Heights, South Park, Bay Park, Mission Valley, University Heights, Kensington, Mission Hills, Del Cerro

Of course, much depends on your housing budget. But, if you go to Zillow.com and plug in a search for San Diego County or any of these areas, you'll be able to get a quick overview of what your budget might buy in these areas.

And, you didn't mention if you have kids who need schools. Not all of these would be appropriate in that case.

Good luck with your decision! San Diego County is a great place to live, with something for everyone.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-20-2016 at 10:17 AM..

Old 10-20-2016, 10:08 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Where will your job be located in San Diego County? If you'll be working at Camp Pendleton, the Encinitas would be convenient (although housing is expensive there). If you'll be working in one of the Federal offices or labs near downtown or in the south bay, Encinitas might not be an ideal commute.
Downtown would be coaster-able from Encinitas, though, yes?

Old 10-20-2016, 10:14 AM

Also, you may have already seen this thread, but it will help you get a sense of the pluses and minuses of many different areas in San Diego County from the perspective of locals who currently live in those areas:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...out-where.html

Old 10-20-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Downtown would be coaster-able from Encinitas, though, yes?
Yes. As I said in the first paragraph of my post:

Encinitas wouldn't be ideal if you're commuting by car to downtown, due to traffic on the I-5 corridor during peak commute times, but you would have the option of taking the Coaster (train) to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego