Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,183 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I see older posts but I'm wondering your opinions on Rancho Peñasquitos vs Carlsbad. We have 2 kids, love the ocean/surfing and dirt bike riding. We want middle class but not hoity toity. $650k budget and good schools. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. We work off hours so I'd be more interested in the weekend traffic (which I know sucks around Carlsbad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 10:38 PM
4SR

75 posts, read 105,869 times
Where do you have to commute to?

Old 10-21-2016, 06:56 AM

771 posts, read 835,626 times
Are you open to condo or townhomes? For $650K max budget, that is almost surely what you'll be looking at in Carlsbad.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:39 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
It depends on where you are commuting to. Carlsbad in the 650k range will be really far out, practically Vista. It will limit your commuting options being that far out. RP is better bang for the buck and more central, but if your job is in say, Del Mar, Carlsbad may be easier.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:07 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Not much dirt bike riding in either RP or Carlsbad. For that, you may want to look a little further east. We're in East County, and when my son was into riding dirt bikes, he could just step out the door and go (we have four acres). You'll get more house and property for your budget if you're willing to go further east (Fallbrook, Ramona, Santee). But, of course, then you're farther from the beach.

Rosie, depends on your idea of "much". There's all of Penasquitos Canyon, and loads of other trails around PQ. I don't know about Carlsbad since I've never lived out there.

OP, there are parts of Carlsbad that I consider 'hoity toity'. But that's just me. I know that Carlsbad has some good schools, but I don't know which ones they are, so consider that carefully. RP is in the Poway school district, and has generally good schools. And no 'hoity toity' that I know of. Although the newer parts towards the western end of RP might have some of that going on. But then, you're not getting into those areas on a $650k budget.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:13 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Rosie, depends on your idea of "much". There's all of Penasquitos Canyon, and loads of other trails around PQ. I don't know about Carlsbad since I've never lived out there.
Hmm, maybe we're talking about different things.

Dirt bike = a small motorcycle, a "Bike" that is motorized and used off road.

Mountain bike = a bike using pedal power that can be used on hiking trails.

I know you can mountain bike in Penasquitos Canyon, but wasn't aware that one could ride motorized vehicles in the Canyon.

But maybe you're right and OP is talking about mountain biking, not dirt biking/motorcross, so then RP would definitely work.

There used to be a motorcross track in Rancho Bernardo -- is that still there?

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-21-2016 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-21-2016, 11:31 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
There's biking around Calavera lake in Carlsbad. I have friends who ride there.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Hmm, maybe we're talking about different things.

Dirt bike = a small motorcycle, a "Bike" that is motorized and used off road.

Mountain bike = a bike using pedal power that can be used on hiking trails.

I know you can mountain bike in Penasquitos Canyon, but wasn't aware that one could ride motorized vehicles in the Canyon.

But maybe you're right and OP is talking about mountain biking, not dirt biking/motorcross, so then RP would definitely work.

There used to be a motorcross track in Rancho Bernardo -- is that still there?
You're right - I misread the OP. There are no unauthorized motorized vehicles allowed in Penasquitos Canyon. Matter of fact, the closest dirt bike areas I know of are way out east in the desert.

I've never known of any motorcross track in RB, so I'm guessing it's no longer there but can't be certaiin.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:23 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
You're right - I misread the OP. There are no unauthorized motorized vehicles allowed in Penasquitos Canyon. Matter of fact, the closest dirt bike areas I know of are way out east in the desert.

I've never known of any motorcross track in RB, so I'm guessing it's no longer there but can't be certaiin.
It could be that the OP was referring to mountain biking, so your point was well taken.

But on the off chance they did mean motorized dirt bikes, you don't have to go quite as far as the desert. There are some approved areas for dirt bikes and ATVs in Campo and Boulevard . We always enjoyed spending time in McCain Valley in Boulevard (not that I ever road dirt bikes!). If you live in certain parts of the east county, you can still dirt bike right out your back door too. I can't find anything about the RB track I vaguely recall, and I see that the Barona track in Ramona seems to have closed this summer too.

But again, I may have mistaken the OPs interest, and they're interested in mountain biking.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:09 PM

84 posts, read 88,175 times
Hi! I live in Carlsbad and used to work out in Rancho Bernardo... both areas are nice, it just depends what you really want. Carlsbad schools are great (not sure if you are looking at elementary, middle or high school) and there are a few detached homes that you can get for 650k and under.... you just have to be quick! hahaha

As was mentioned, there are mountain bike trails around Calaveras Lake that a lot of people hike and ride in and the beach is always a plus. Traffic is everywhere but once you live in an area, you figure out the better times as well as ways around the cluster areas.

Rancho is nice, schools are good and the location is pretty central. Home pricing may be a little more bang for your buck and availability runs about the same....gotta be quick!

Have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego