Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 03:53 AM

218 posts, read 350,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastrauss3 View Post
I'm new to the forum (I've read and searched quite a bit though over the last year or so) and I moved to San Diego 3 months ago (from Indianapolis, IN). I love it! But I do have somewhat of a major issue, I haven't been able to find an apartment or studio to rent. I have been staying in a weekly rate motel since I've been here. I have bad credit (due to a divorce and poor decisions 5-7 years ago) including an eviction. In Indianapolis I own a home (paid cash for, houses are very cheap out there) so I haven't had any rental history for the last 4 years (since the eviction).

Ok, so here is my question. Obviously I have been denied by quite a few apartment buildings throughout San Diego County and tried 2 different property management companies, same result. I have 6 figure income and willing to pay 3-4 months deposit but that doesn't seem to help my case. Does anybody know of any areas outside of San Diego county (Temecula, or out east somewhere, I'm not that familiar) that have "easier" rental markets? I understand here that the rental market is VERY competitive and are not many rental vacancies available and they pick the best of the best applicants (and due to my poor decisions I am one of the worst).

In Indianapolis where I am from, there are a lot more vacancies available so apartments and property management companies are willing to work with you (2-3 month deposit etc) just to get the apartment rented out. I am looking for an area like this if possible. Maybe Riverside co? Not sure?

I am willing to drive 1.5-2hrs each way to work everyday if needed just to find an easier market. I am tired of the motel thing and want my own space. I really don't want to rent a room or share an apartment/house either. Just wondering if anybody has been in this situation and could give me some advice? I really do appreciate it!!
Unfortunately for us single guys, the property management companies use computer programs to determine eligibility.
Since you have a 6 figure income and bad credit, then the score is getting you rejected, along with the bad accounts, and the eviction. Find a property manager who does not use computer programs to determine rents. Ask property managers if they use rainmaker, yieldstar, real page, one site, and yardi.

Mom and pop property managers don't use the software. Its very expensive to purchase, so if you go to towns with mom and pops, they'll work with you like up in oceanside and Carlsbad.

Palm springs and the Coachella valley is a long way but you'll find some property managers who don't use the software.

Also try asking for the regional manager. Explain your situation.
The leasing office girls only make minimum wage plus commission. They only can do what corporate tells them to do.

Unfortunately, the programs don't allow for your offer of paying up front for several months.

Nevertheless, if you applied with Conam, I'm surprised that their scoring model, so highly touted by their very own Dan Epstein and Shawna Gregory (aka the rental goddess, in our biz, she used to work for Don Bren), didn't give you a risky score, and then ask for a larger deposit.

Have you considered vacation rentals? They're all over San Diego and you could live all over the place with the 6 figures.

As for the computer programs, in the industry we expect them to be banned within 5 to 10 years, along with nationwide rent controls, due to the shear number of stories like yours and huge homeless rates.

Last edited by Arizona89A; 10-27-2016 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 04:10 AM

Also, most of these multi national property managers have a clause stating that one or more co signers can be added.

Their income should be 4 to 5 times the monthly rent, depending on the company.

You're making this so you might have some colleagues who are making this.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:23 AM

Also note that Riverside and San Bernardino counties, have many areas of high crime. I would recommend Temecula and Murrieta as they are safe. Menifee is safe. But its the same property managers. High crime in Hemet, San Jacinto, Lake Elsinore, Perris, etc. The county supervisors , except Kevin Jeffries who should be recalled, are bringing more jobs to the county, but for now, poverty is quite high along with drugs and crime. I even observed a drug trade in the Murrieta Loma Linda Hospital parking area.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:26 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
Also note that Riverside and San Bernardino counties, have many areas of high crime. I would recommend Temecula and Murrieta as they are safe. Menifee is safe. But its the same property managers. High crime in Hemet, San Jacinto, Lake Elsinore, Perris, etc. The county supervisors , except Kevin Jeffries who should be recalled, are bringing more jobs to the county, but for now, poverty is quite high along with drugs and crime. I even observed a drug trade in the Murrieta Loma Linda Hospital parking area.

Yes, those areas have higher crime, but overall, less strict credit criteria, which is why I suggested them...as a way to GET STARTED in CA's brutal rental market. Of couse Temecula/Murrieta are nicer...they also do credit/ background checks, etc., just like San Diego. If OP can establish a record of paying rent in a timely manner, IN SOUTHERN CA, he will have a better chance of competing in the more desirable rental areas. Not every place in those communities has crime. And lots of people have to commute, that's life in CA. Not everyone gets what they want, when they want it. Example, the Bay Area.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:32 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
Unfortunately for us single guys, the property management companies use computer programs to determine eligibility.
Since you have a 6 figure income and bad credit, then the score is getting you rejected, along with the bad accounts, and the eviction. Find a property manager who does not use computer programs to determine rents. Ask property managers if they use rainmaker, yieldstar, real page, one site, and yardi.

Mom and pop property managers don't use the software. Its very expensive to purchase, so if you go to towns with mom and pops, they'll work with you like up in oceanside and Carlsbad.

Palm springs and the Coachella valley is a long way but you'll find some property managers who don't use the software.

Also try asking for the regional manager. Explain your situation.
The leasing office girls only make minimum wage plus commission. They only can do what corporate tells them to do.

Unfortunately, the programs don't allow for your offer of paying up front for several months.

Nevertheless, if you applied with Conam, I'm surprised that their scoring model, so highly touted by their very own Dan Epstein and Shawna Gregory (aka the rental goddess, in our biz, she used to work for Don Bren), didn't give you a risky score, and then ask for a larger deposit.

Have you considered vacation rentals? They're all over San Diego and you could live all over the place with the 6 figures.

As for the computer programs, in the industry we expect them to be banned within 5 to 10 years, along with nationwide rent controls, due to the shear number of stories like yours and huge homeless rates.
Anyone who checks credit is going to see the eviction, whether or not they use those specific programs, and most landlords have a policy that says they don't rent to people with evictions.

And what does being a single guy have to do with having an eviction (which is likely the reason OP is being rejected)? I'm a single gal and have never, ever had an issue renting an apartment.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:45 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Anyone who checks credit is going to see the eviction, whether or not they use those specific programs, and most landlords have a policy that says they don't rent to people with evictions.

And what does being a single guy have to do with having an eviction (which is likely the reason OP is being rejected)? I'm a single gal and have never, ever had an issue renting an apartment.
I agree.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:59 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
I will sum this up with stuff that doesn't involve moving in and out of vacation rentals every week/month, and not moving to the desert or so far north you may as well call your car your home. Some of this advice is painful to hear.

Make yourself a hobby...live on Zillow and check out craigslist apartment rentals every hour. As soon as you see a house/apartment in your parameters (private owners at your price point) call...don't text...don't email...call. Be the first person.

Set-up an appointment if you can that day. Say nothing else.
At the appointment explain your situation- show up with a rental app, paystubs, profit and loss statement a printout of your balance of your bank account, and your check book. If you are handy tell them you are the type of tenant that doesn't call every other week for minor repairs. Tell them a story. Sell yourself as a tenant.

Tell them you can move in right away and you are prepared to give them a deposit if they accept your application.

I personally know two private owners that do not do a credit check. One has rented places for 20+ years. They are more interested in your income, and they are hoping you aren't putting 4 people in a 2 or 1 bedroom place, and they don't like pets. Landlords like this are out there. There are landlords out there that bought their condos/home in 2009-2011 they have very little common knowledge of being a Landlord with very few ideas of what due diligence they need to do when renting out their place. They don't want your credit score they want your cash. Pay them on time and get your fresh start through these folks.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 10-27-2016 at 03:09 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post

California does not like single guys, unless you are gay and have a gay or gay friendly landlord. Reason is the drugs and prop 47. They are scared to death that they'll get a pot smoker or tweaker in the building who was just released from prison. One of the reasons for the strict rental rules is the drug problem. They erroneously think that rich people don't use drugs. Not always true. My credit score is 715 and I use no drugs, but I've known very rich people with higher scores, who are big time coke and meth heads. Most landlords would rather rent to girls.

Last edited by Arizona89A; 10-28-2016 at 02:02 AM..

Old 10-28-2016, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I will sum this up with stuff that doesn't involve moving in and out of vacation rentals every week/month, and not moving to the desert or so far north you may as well call your car your home. Some of this advice is painful to hear.

Make yourself a hobby...live on Zillow and check out craigslist apartment rentals every hour. As soon as you see a house/apartment in your parameters (private owners at your price point) call...don't text...don't email...call. Be the first person.

Set-up an appointment if you can that day. Say nothing else.
At the appointment explain your situation- show up with a rental app, paystubs, profit and loss statement a printout of your balance of your bank account, and your check book. If you are handy tell them you are the type of tenant that doesn't call every other week for minor repairs. Tell them a story. Sell yourself as a tenant.

Tell them you can move in right away and you are prepared to give them a deposit if they accept your application.

I personally know two private owners that do not do a credit check. One has rented places for 20+ years. They are more interested in your income, and they are hoping you aren't putting 4 people in a 2 or 1 bedroom place, and they don't like pets. Landlords like this are out there. There are landlords out there that bought their condos/home in 2009-2011 they have very little common knowledge of being a Landlord with very few ideas of what due diligence they need to do when renting out their place. They don't want your credit score they want your cash. Pay them on time and get your fresh start through these folks.
Places like this exist, absolutely, good advice.
Unfortunately, companies such as RPM management, will contact these mom and pop landlords, take their properties over, and raise the rents with Rainmaker or Yieldstar. RPM has now taken over in 45 states. They have very strict guidelines for who they will rent to. As the owner, I would rather choose the tenant, not a property manager. And, I'd rent week to week.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:28 AM

73 posts, read 56,690 times
Have you tried getting an HFA loan? Why not forget about renting and just buy a house if you are thinking of settling here. Yes, a home loan with bad credit as crazy as it sounds. The economy is in desperate times right now that they will give loans to just about anyone these days. And even more so if you have a 6 figure income like you said.

Otherwise, keep pounding the craigslist ads at least 8 hours a day every day!

Last edited by trs27; 10-28-2016 at 02:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego