Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:49 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,134,929 times

Advertisements

Well it has been about 6 months since the city decided not to let Anthony's stay. So is there any word on if they will move to a new location or just close up. I will miss the fishette. Reasonable prices, nice view without paying for the inside restaurant. The new Brigantine setup will be way too expensive for us. Guess we skip going down to the Harbor come 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 07:53 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
Well it has been about 6 months since the city decided not to let Anthony's stay. So is there any word on if they will move to a new location or just close up. I will miss the fishette. Reasonable prices, nice view without paying for the inside restaurant. The new Brigantine setup will be way too expensive for us. Guess we skip going down to the Harbor come 2017.
Oh no! My elderly mom loved Anthony's. She will be very sad.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:56 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
That was an icon. We used to dock the boat and eat there.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That was an icon. We used to dock the boat and eat there.
Run-on sentence alert...

What pisses me off about it is that these newer, fancier, hipper restos that are creating fancy concoctions like using one big blow-torched scallop, seasoned, with, let's say, "Asian-Caribbean fushion" flavors and placing said scallop on a mountain of greens just tall enough not to collapse and surrounding it with a fancy swirl -- all two bites of it is 27.99 because the decor is hip...has gotten out of control. Gees can I just get some halibut with Caesar's salad, maybe a fresh roll, etc? I am not usually in the mood for fancy and far prefer to use my money for travelling than blowing 129 dollars each meal.

When I worked in DTSD, after a long day, a glass of wine at Anthony's and a nice halibut sure made for a nice day with friends.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Run-on sentence alert...

What pisses me off about it is that these newer, fancier, hipper restos that are creating fancy concoctions like using one big blow-torched scallop, seasoned, with, let's say, "Asian-Caribbean fushion" flavors and placing said scallop on a mountain of greens just tall enough not to collapse and surrounding it with a fancy swirl -- all two bites of it is 27.99 because the decor is hip...has gotten out of control. Gees can I just get some halibut with Caesar's salad, maybe a fresh roll, etc? I am not usually in the mood for fancy and far prefer to use my money for travelling than blowing 129 dollars each meal.

When I worked in DTSD, after a long day, a glass of wine at Anthony's and a nice halibut sure made for a nice day with friends.
That really does sum it up. After a long day on the water I don't want to go all the way home shower, shave and head back down to get a decent meal with a view. I'd rather eat, slip the boat and clean it then head home.

I guess there's still the Joe's crab shack lol

Old 06-06-2016, 08:30 PM

6,508 posts, read 7,545,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

I guess there's still the Joe's crab shack lol
The one in PB got shut down, the one on Embarcadero Park South might be next.

I am not a big Anthony's or Joe's kinda guy, but there should be some decent affordable options on the waterfront, not everything can be Costerra. A simple fish taco place would be great!

Old 06-06-2016, 08:40 PM

There used to be an awesome fish joint, not fancy, but decent, that I always hit in Olde Towne Carlsbad. It was Fish House Vera Cruz. Unpretentious and an easy walk to the beach afterwards to help you walk a little off. Now it's gone.

Shuttered Fish House being rebranded | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

One more thing. Newport Beach still has a very old school fish joint and I love it. FIsh lovers who like to keep it simple, will love it. If ever in OC...

The Crab Cooker!!! (The one in Newps, not the other one.)

Also the Newport Lobster Shack

Old 06-06-2016, 10:18 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,654,185 times
Anthony's Fish Grotto in La Mesa is still open. Same food, different view.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:56 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,533,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
There used to be an awesome fish joint, not fancy, but decent, that I always hit in Olde Towne Carlsbad. It was Fish House Vera Cruz. Unpretentious and an easy walk to the beach afterwards to help you walk a little off. Now it's gone.

Shuttered Fish House being rebranded | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com
Spouse & I would, as newlyweds, wslk over for dinner after work....back when the street was still called "Elm"...oh, well...

Old 06-07-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
The one in PB got shut down, the one on Embarcadero Park South might be next.

I am not a big Anthony's or Joe's kinda guy, but there should be some decent affordable options on the waterfront, not everything can be Costerra. A simple fish taco place would be great!
Agreed. My wife and I almost bought out the Shelter Island Pier bait shop and eatery. We will probably regret it as I can't imagine there being another chance at anything like that in my lifetime. I just didn't feel like making one of my hobbies (fishing and hunting) a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego